Mike Daniels released

Leader

I think you are highly over estimating Mike Daniels abilities.    Especially in the defense that we are currently running.

He isn't a big enough body for what he is needed to do in the current defense.

He is just a guy playing the run, and a very average pass rusher as well.    We shouldn't be paying his cost in this defense.

12 minutes ago, Chili said:

Daniels is a 3-down player for us. Other than Clark he's probably our best run defender. Pettine's system relies on interior pass rush and Daniels is great at that. We're going to be in nickle at least 70% of the time in this league and Daniels is absolutely a starter on our team and therefore his contract should be fine. Since we're in nickle the majority of the time Z.Smith and Gray will be edge rushers so all we've done is create a hole on the interior DL by cutting Daniels.

Not sure I agree if we're talking Pettine's defense. I understand why Mike was so beloved, but his numbers fell off last year for more reasons than injury. Pettine's system is a lot more read and react, 2-gap for the DL and that's not Daniels game at all. He wasn't great in the run game last year, and the Packers have a few guys in line for more snaps that are much better scheme fits.

Daniels still had value to Green Bay this year, not disagreeing with you about that, but $10 million in value? Tough to say. If the young guys don't step up this could backfire, but better to release a guy a year early than a year late. 

4 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

but better to release a guy a year early than a year late. 

That phrase only applies to old players - 32/33/34 years old guys much like what we did with Nelson. In Mike Daniels case its completely different, he just turned 30 a couple of months ago. He will play the entire season as a 30 years old player.

50 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Not like people didn't see this as a possibility after draft: https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/04/29/silverstein-why-mike-daniels-no-longer-right-fit-packers/3580870002/

Still kind of a Richard move for Daniels not to do it earlier.  

Packers got rid of older expensive player to make room for younger guys.  Most good teams do that, but they do it after draft in Spring.  Still a lot of those young guys are unproven.  Can't see how this makes team better in 2019 assuming Daniels was healthy.

You can always find reps for dlinemen if you want to.   Young guys could still play.  Just use a faster rotation.  

You had the space why not keep him at this point?  You have to scratch your head a bit if they don't add anyone.

Cutting our best pass rusher before TC is better than doing it after, innit?

Cutting Lane Taylor and Tramon Williams would've made far more sense to me. Combined their cap hit was more than Daniels alone.

Taylor is a poor fit for LaFleurs ZBS and I think its safe to say by the end of training camp he will be pushed out of the starting lineup. When that happens he is going to get cut anyway because of his contract. Its far too much for a backup OL.

Williams is facing the same thing - but rather being a poor fit his issue is his age. The younger, faster and more athletic guys like Alexander, King, Jackson are all going to push him out of the lineup by the end of training camp. Again he will be too cost prohibitive to keep if that happens.

Daniels was guaranteed starter on our DL especially in nickle packages which is basically our base defence. No guarantees Keke and Gray will be ready to contribute, Z.Smith will probably spend most of his time as an edge rusher. Lowry is just a rotational linesman. He was going to play alot and contribute - especially in contract year.

Edited by Chili

Just a gut feeling here, but I think there is still a Wilkerson/Pettine connection here.

When Mo is healthy, I think he's on the DL at a fraction of the cost of Daniels.  

But again, nothing to support that besides a feeling that I have.  And that could simply be lunch.

Dix.

Matthews.

Perry.

Daniels.

Gone!  The packer D will look a lot different this year. Like I said In a previous post the Packers want to get bigger on both sides of the ball. Gute loves big men, he gave the money to the bigger man. Mike was a poor fit for Pettine's system, at only 6'0 and 300 he's not he body type Pettine and Gute likes. Just look at the guys Gute has brought in thus far through FA and Draft, all J Peppers body types.

34 minutes ago, Chili said:

That phrase only applies to old players - 32/33/34 years old guys much like what we did with Nelson. In Mike Daniels case its completely different, he just turned 30 a couple of months ago. He will play the entire season as a 30 years old player.

No, it applies to literally anyone who's near-future performance will not likely match their current performance.  Age has nothing to do with it; the same thing applies to a player coming off an injury, or a breakout year you don't believe they'll sustain.  If you think a player is about to become a bad value, you should cut bait while they're still a good value rather than waiting.  This gives you time to find out what you have for replacements and make preparations for the future rather than getting caught with your pants down when the player suddenly becomes an anchor in pay and performance.  Daniels is 30 years old, coming off a foot injury, and is an undersized DT who relies on his ability to move laterally to win the leverage game.  When his legs go and they will (Father Time is undefeated) he's going to fall off a cliff.  This will be an Al Harris type fall off, not a Charles Woodson type.

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

If anything, the timing of this move is the aspect I care for the least. Cut Mike back in March and use a portion of his money to resign Clay.

So, you would rather pay for an overpaid OB than Mike Daniels. 

Sorry, that is one of the stupidest things I have ever read in this forum..

mathews has not provided 1/10 of w hat Daniels has over the last few years.

ii am happy that my favorite player (52) is gone, he added almost nothing over the last 4-5 years.

So after listening to some of the sports shows out there I guess it turns out that if you cut a player while they are still injured you owe them all the money left on the contract. So the thought is that Green Bay had to wait until Mike passed his physical to cut him, and they did their physicals yesterday. While this still is kind of lame, it does make sense as to why this move happened so late into the offseason. Also, people think he will end up in Cleveland. Just anywhere but the NFC north please. Tired of that scenario. 

• Like 1

Why are people calling this a cold move? Should we have Sittoned him instead? When is the exact proper time to respectfully release someone? After sitting down with him over tea, and maybe giving him a sappy hallmark card? Do you guys think these Daniels and the GB front office have the emotional intelligence of small girls?

Answer each question in succession please.

• Like 2