Top 5 WR route runners

49erurtaza

"Route running" is such a broad concept that I think it is more interesting to look at which receivers are the best at running which routes. For instance, overall, I think Cooper is right up there with OBJ. However, OBJ is probably the best in the NFL when it comes to running a breaking route and lacks (or slacks, as was exhibited last year on film) when running non-breaking routes. 

That Reception Perception series that that one guy does (Matt something?) is really interesting to look at for this. He charts how often a receiver wins on each route.

• Like 1

I can’t honestly say I know enough, see enough, or have paid attention to enough of most wide receivers to accurately say who’s the superior route runner. Most high end receivers are capable of great routes, but they get lackadaisical, which is what really separates some guys from others. I don’t know enough to comment. Hopkins, AB, and Allen are the standouts that I’ve seen. 

I know OBJ gets lazy with his routes, but is capable of elite route running when he wants to. Don’t watch enough of Cooper to comment on his consistency.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I can’t honestly say I know enough, see enough, or have paid attention to enough of most wide receivers to accurately say who’s the superior route runner. Most high end receivers are capable of great routes, but they get lackadaisical, which is what really separates some guys from others. I don’t know enough to comment. Hopkins, AB, and Allen are the standouts that I’ve seen. 

I know OBJ gets lazy with his routes, but is capable of elite route running when he wants to. Don’t watch enough of Cooper to comment on his consistency.

This would be the big thing for me as well. And its not like I watch every game, ever week, etc. More or less can comment on the ones who really stand out. First and foremost to me would probably be Keenan Allen. TY would definitely be up there, and Diggs as well.