Training Camp 2019 news and discussion.

Livewire

7 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I know it's way too early to say anything about these guys... but our wide receiver Corps looks like it could end up being top five from a talent standpoint. And they haven't even had a chance to play with a starting-caliber quarterback yet. I'm not getting my hopes up, but Deonte Johnson and James Washington look like they could be the real deal.

JW has REALLY improved. As you alluded to, it's early and only Pre-Season but he really looks good. He stands out nearly every time he's on the field. 

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

JW has REALLY improved. As you alluded to, it's early and only Pre-Season but he really looks good. He stands out nearly every time he's on the field. 

Washington dominated the preseason last year, as well. It indicates to me that the physical ability is there. But he has to put it together in a real game.

At this point I would be stunned if Sutton Smith makes the 53 man roster. I also dont expect Derwin Gray to make it. 

Tuzar Skipper and Ulysses Gilbert have a shot.

At this point, idk if Ola makes it, it depends on the timeline for his return.

As much as I'd like to see Spencer make it, I dont expect him to 

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

At this point, idk if Ola makes it, it depends on the timeline for his return.

Ola is going to make it. I’m really not sure how that’s even a question. Timelines only 2-4 weeks. 

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

As much as I'd like to see Spencer make it, I dont expect him to 

Agree. Tomlin comments kinda cemented that, IMO.  When asked if Spencer’s return ability would help him make the roster he just said “no”. 

Tomlin has no need for returners other than just to catch the football. Spencer’s gotta make the team as a receiver and I just don’t think he is going to have much opportunity to showcase. Needs to have a big week 4, and that might not be enough. 

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Ola is going to make it. I’m really not sure how that’s even a question. Timelines only 2-4 weeks. 

Agree. Tomlin comments kinda cemented that, IMO.  When asked if Spencer’s return ability would help him make the roster he just said “no”. 

Tomlin has no need for returners other than just to catch the football. Spencer’s gotta make the team as a receiver and I just don’t think he is going to have much opportunity to showcase. Needs to have a big week 4, and that might not be enough. 

Mainly cuz I didnt hear the timeline.

I dont think itll be enough either. Spencer, I think, will land somewhere due to injuries or lack of quality but there is just no room in Pittsburgh.

2 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Washington dominated the preseason last year, as well. It indicates to me that the physical ability is there. But he has to put it together in a real game.

Yeah... we have had too many training camp and preseason Stars at wide receiver for me to get too excited. They both still look great though... For now anyway.

James Washington to me, looks like he is running better routes and making more of a physical effort in leaping up for the ball in contested catches.

During non-contested catches, he seems like he is showing more focus, not trying to run before actually completing the catch.

Ik it's just preseason but Daryl Drake left behind his personal imprints on this WR Corps and to me it's pretty clear.

10 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Maybe but he looks different to me. Can't put my finger on it tho.

Here's my "why he looks different".  Last year preseason he was playing with backups against backups, and clearly just out athletic'ed a bunch of dudes.  This year he's with the starters against starters, with a backup QB.

Counting on rookie WR is a big mistake.  There are not many that can make a real impact in year 1.  Generally they are 6-8 games in before they get with the game.  They need to learn route running ( generally), and new, larger route trees.  Everything is moving fast.  What Washington is doing is what I expect from year 2 WR that will make the transition to the Pro level.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neumatic said:

Burfict did a number on Browns Schutt AiR Advantage.

...no take backs either, he’s yours.

For anyone that has watched any of the available footage of the Raiders camp so far, AB is always facing the opposite direction of his teammates during stretches and warmups. He is separating himself, making every movement some sort of dance move almost, he is purposely making his presence a spectacle.

He seems to decide how much work he will put in at practice and when he is done. He has already seemingly make himself a separate entity on the roster. There is little chance the Raiders dont end up looking foolish here.

This is truly the beginning of the end ABs career imo.