53 Man Roster Predictions 2019 Edition

VonKarman

I'd say Adams, GMo, MVS and EQ are locked in at this point.

Davis is locked in at #5 unless a RB or DB prove they can handle return duties.

#6 (which is actually #5 on the depth chart ahead of Davis) is a battle between Moore and Kumerow. If Moore gets close to the level Kumerow is at, he will win, but if he has a similar preseason I think they have no issues cutting him. If he makes the PS, great. If not the 2020 WR class is freaking loaded and there will be plenty of options.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Kumerow isn't near the route runner that Allison is. Not because he lacks the technical savvy, just because he's not as strong at the top and he's not as fast cutting out of his breaks. He's just not the same caliber guy. He's a plus practice squad dude.

I'll defer to your knowledge on this, but it sure seems to me like he doesn't have bad practices and he is where 12 wants him to be and he catches what is thrown at him. "Plus Practice Squad" may not be as mean as it seems, if we really are talking about a guy that can be the fifth receiver on most NFL teams. I think that Kumerow, in the end, is the odd man out just because he seems to be that kind of schlimazel that works hard, maxes out his abilities, and does everything asked of him only to be bumped out at the end by a guy with a so-called higher ceiling.

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd say Adams, GMo, MVS and EQ are locked in at this point.

Davis is locked in at #5 unless a RB or DB prove they can handle return duties.

#6 (which is actually #5 on the depth chart ahead of Davis) is a battle between Moore and Kumerow. If Moore gets close to the level Kumerow is at, he will win, but if he has a similar preseason I think they have no issues cutting him. If he makes the PS, great. If not the 2020 WR class is freaking loaded and there will be plenty of options.

I agree with all of this

There are difficult decisions all around on offense. I agree with the 6th WR being a Kumerow/Moore battle unless Davis struggles (which he isn't at the moment). I do think the young WR talent the Packers have suggests 6 rather than 5, and while i think it unlikely, even 7 is possible.

With how I expect LaFleur to run things, with more emphasis on the run game, four spots are taken up with RBs, three true RBs (Jones, J.Williams, D.Williams) and FB Vitale.

Three to four spots are taken up with TE's (Graham, Tonyan, Sternberger and possibly Lewis). It is necessary to keep Tonyan and Sternberger as I fully expect Graham and Lewis to be gone by the end of 2019. Lewis may or may not be a final cut before this year plays out, if pushed to guess, I'd say he stays.

2 QBs (Rodgers and umm, Boyle ?), plus 4RBs, plus 6 WRs, plus 4 TEs = 16. Add O linemen Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, Turner, Bulaga and backups Jenkins, Spriggs, Madison, Light = 9, for a total of 25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defense is tough to break down as there are several hybrid players and ones that will move around.

DL Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Adams, Keke (I'd be surprised to see any other combo here).

Pass rush/occasional DL  Z.Smith, Gary

OLB P.Smith, Fackrell, Sheldon

ILB Martinez, Burks, maybe Sheldon

S Amos, Savage, Green, Jones

CB King, Alexander, T.Williams, Jackson, Brown, Hollman

That is 5DL,+2PR/DL,+3OLB,+3ILB,+4S,+6CB = 23

One of Gilbert, Donnerson, Roberts could round out the OLBs.
One extra ILB could be drawn from  Summers, Bolton, Ramsey.
Total =25

The questions are whether some of the bottom roster guys on defense (the ones in red print) are worth more than an extra (7th) receiver, or a crazy fast extra RB (Grant) for ST and occasional sub-packages. I'm guessing the O and D split just might be 26/24 this year.

If J.Jones stays, he is likely to play some ILB, so the Packers look a little thin at Safety (though it helps that T.Williams can play there, if needed).

Pettine on Tramon Williams via PackersWire

“The elite nickels, slot corners in the league are the ones that have a high football intellect, they have some savvy there,” Pettine said Monday. “There’s a lot more thinking involved in nickel than there is playing outside, and this is a guy who’s seen it all. He understands how to play with leverage, he understands how to disguise. He just has that wealth of experience.”

“Even though you don’t see him as the most physically imposing guy, he’s still tough. He’ll get you on the ground. He can blitz,” Pettine said. “That’s the great thing about Tramon. That’s a position he’s played before.”

I know several posters have clamored for the Packers to cut Tramon and his $$ contract, but unless there are 5 better CBs, I'm not seeing it

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Pettine on Tramon Williams via PackersWire

“The elite nickels, slot corners in the league are the ones that have a high football intellect, they have some savvy there,” Pettine said Monday. “There’s a lot more thinking involved in nickel than there is playing outside, and this is a guy who’s seen it all. He understands how to play with leverage, he understands how to disguise. He just has that wealth of experience.”

“Even though you don’t see him as the most physically imposing guy, he’s still tough. He’ll get you on the ground. He can blitz,” Pettine said. “That’s the great thing about Tramon. That’s a position he’s played before.”

I know several posters have clamored for the Packers to cut Tramon and his $$ contract, but unless there are 5 better CBs, I'm not seeing it

Alexander, King, Jackson, Brown, Hollman (hopefully) 

Done. 

I'm fine with Tramon on the team, I just don't understand why he's on the roster when he has a cap hit of 6.375 Million. 

Again, he's the 8th highest paid player on our roster--- I hope he follows Daniels out the door at that price. 

4 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Done. 

I'm fine with Tramon on the team, I just don't understand why he's on the roster when he has a cap hit of 6.375 Million. 

Again, he's the 8th highest paid player on our roster--- I hope he follows Daniels out the door at that price. 

With Jackson's rookie struggles and now not available for the first week of camp and who knows how longer, I'm glad Tramon is still on the team. Granted he should've been cut and Breeland signed but at least we have vet depth.

3 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Done. 

I'm hopeful too. But those young guys aren't Tramon's equal when it comes to football IQ.
Physically they are clearly superior - but Pettine obviously puts a value on the vet experience as noted in the quotes. Especially with so much youth in that CB room. I'd rather have Tramon than any CB the Packers could find on the street for $ 3-4 million or less.
The cap savings would be around $ 3.75M per OTC, the rest of it is sunk costs ( guaranteed $$/ bonus)

https://overthecap.com/player/tramon-williams/1138/

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Defense is tough to break down as there are several hybrid players and ones that will move around.

DL Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Adams, Keke (I'd be surprised to see any other combo here).

Pass rush/occasional DL  Z.Smith, Gary

OLB P.Smith, Fackrell, Sheldon

ILB Martinez, Burks, maybe Sheldon

S Amos, Savage, Green, Jones

CB King, Alexander, T.Williams, Jackson, Brown, Hollman

That is 5DL,+2PR/DL,+3OLB,+3ILB,+4S,+6CB = 23

One of Gilbert, Donnerson, Roberts could round out the OLBs.
One extra ILB could be drawn from  Summers, Bolton, Ramsey.
Total =25

The questions are whether some of the bottom roster guys on defense (the ones in red print) are worth more than an extra (7th) receiver, or a crazy fast extra RB (Grant) for ST and occasional sub-packages. I'm guessing the O and D split just might be 26/24 this year.

If J.Jones stays, he is likely to play some ILB, so the Packers look a little thin at Safety (though it helps that T.Williams can play there, if needed).

I only ask because you didn't mention him, but did you forget Crawford or are you just down on him? He seems to be a fixture on ST.

Based off of camp reports so far, this is my prediction:

• QB - Rodgers, Kizer
  • RB - Jones, J. Williams, D. Williams, C. Grant
  • FB - Vitale
  • WR - Adams, MVS, Allison, Davis, EQ, Moore
  • TE - Graham, Tonyan, Lewis, Sternberger
  • OL - Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, Turner, Bulaga, Spriggs, Jenkins, Madison

• DL - Clark, Lowery, Adams, Lancaster, Keke, Brown
  • OLB - Z. Smith, P. Smith, R. Gary, Fackrell, Gilbert
  • ILB - Martinez, Burks, Crawford, Bolton
  • CB - Alexander, King, Jackson, Hollman, Brown
  • S - Amos, Savage, Greene, Jones, Jamerson 

• Crosby, Scott, Bradley
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Based off of camp reports so far, this is my prediction:

• QB - Rodgers, Kizer
  • RB - Jones, J. Williams, D. Williams, C. Grant
  • FB - Vitale
  • WR - Adams, MVS, Allison, Davis, EQ, Moore
  • TE - Graham, Tonyan, Lewis, Sternberger
  • OL - Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, Turner, Bulaga, Spriggs, Jenkins, Madison

• DL - Clark, Lowery, Adams, Lancaster, Keke, Brown
  • OLB - Z. Smith, P. Smith, R. Gary, Fackrell, Gilbert
  • ILB - Martinez, Burks, Crawford, Bolton
  • CB - Alexander, King, Jackson, Hollman, Brown
  • S - Amos, Savage, Greene, Jones, Jamerson 

• Crosby, Scott, Bradley

Add 3rd QB with Vitale gone. If Vitale stays then either keep 3 TE's or Moore is gone.

Just now, gizmo2012 said:

Add 3rd QB with Vitale gone. If Vitale stays then either keep 3 TE's or Moore is gone.

They're playing Vitale as a lone back in some shot gun sets, like Kuhn back in the day. That third QB isn't as valuable as someone like Lewis or Moore, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

I only ask because you didn't mention him, but did you forget Crawford or are you just down on him? He seems to be a fixture on ST.

No, he should be there imo, I lnew I'd forget at least one guy. That allows only one of the 'red' guys to get the def up to 25.