36 members have voted

1. 1. MVP of Family Night

• Tyrell Sutton
    • Larry McCarren's messed up finger
    • Don Majkowski
    • Rex Grossman
    • Ernestine Skibenski

Just now, ChaRisMa said:

Okay, ONLY guys they could’ve gotten after Hundley’s first starting disaster run? When everyone agreed Hundley had zero trade value? He had years to prepare and failed. No need for more time there. That’s in the GM handbook.

More blame - game comments ? Swell.
Name some names of viable back- up QBs who can make some plays in 2019, that's what I'm interested in hearing about. I don't watch other teams enough to know the back-ups, so I was hoping some, a few one of the more astute posters here could enlighten me.
That's why I've posted the link to the back- ups 3 times. I was genuinely hoping for some illumination.

12 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

More blame - game comments ? Swell.
Name some names of viable back- up QBs who can make some plays in 2019, that's what I'm interested in hearing about. I don't watch other teams enough to know the back-ups, so I was hoping some, a few one of the more astute posters here could enlighten me.
That's why I've posted the link to the back- ups 3 times. I was genuinely hoping for some illumination.

Is the question who are the good backups and could any of them start, I guess I didn't know what the question was lol

just get the best running qb you can find.  If rodgers is out permanently season is toast.  You want a guy who can survive for 3-5 games.  To me, you go with the best runner and try to slow down games and steal a few with a totally unscouted offense.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

just get the best running qb you can find.  If rodgers is out permanently season is toast.  You want a guy who can survive for 3-5 games.  To me, you go with the best runner and try to slow down games and steal a few with a totally unscouted offense.

Tebow, Tebow, Tebow

I've always been on board with this strat though, why run the same offense with some stooge who can't do it. Just go crazy with it and try and mess with what d's are used to seeing.

Edited by Norm

9 minutes ago, Norm said:

Tebow, Tebow, Tebow

I've always been on board with this strat though, why run the same offense with some stooge who can't do it. Just go crazy with it and try and mess with what d's are used to seeing.

it's what they should have done with Hundley, but MM had too much of an ego as a QB whisperer.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

it's what they should have done with Hundley, but MM had too much of an ego as a QB whisperer.

As much as I can be a Mac defender, I agree. Should have saw more of it, even if Hundley isn't the greatest runner by any means.

I think Hundley was a guy that looked great in practice but failed when the game counted.  He was very good in the preseason, against back-ups and that offense didn't look that much different from the Rodgers led units.  He just reached an ability level he couldn't compete with.  Think of him like a AAAA baseball player.

I hope 10-15 years down the line we get a clear answer to which Packer FO guys liked Kizer.  There were rumors that the Packers really wanted to take him in that draft, but they traded down and took Kevin King instead.  But the Kizer for Randall trade was made when Gute, MM, Ball were at the top, just after Wolf, and  Highsmith got to Cleveland.  Did they know that someone coveted Kizer? 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

So you're willing to sacrifice a starter for a backup QB? That's the only way you get this reality, is to pay 8-12m for a backup QB, which is nice starter money for any other position in the league.

When your developmental guys flat out don’t develop for two generations, yeah. Your telling me we wouldn’t be desirable for a Free Agent at this point? The Defense is Going to be Top 5-8. Rodgers has missed a LOT of time and always been injured the other part for 3 years. These are all signs that point to a veteran QB being a good idea but we screw around with Overhand Kizer can’t throw a fricken 15 yard out to the sideline to save his career.

Edited by ChaRisMa

27 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think Hundley was a guy that looked great in practice but failed when the game counted.  He was very good in the preseason, against back-ups and that offense didn't look that much different from the Rodgers led units.  He just reached an ability level he couldn't compete with.  Think of him like a AAAA baseball player.

I hope 10-15 years down the line we get a clear answer to which Packer FO guys liked Kizer.  There were rumors that the Packers really wanted to take him in that draft, but they traded down and took Kevin King instead.  But the Kizer for Randall trade was made when Gute, MM, Ball were at the top, just after Wolf, and  Highsmith got to Cleveland.  Did they know that someone coveted Kizer? 

Hundley was very good in his rookie preseason, missed his second due to an injury, and was awful in his third preseason, but Thompson and McCarthy kept him anyway. Somebody will probably come along now with Hundley's stats in that third preseason, which were not horrible, but he was playing conservatively and could not move the offense or put points on the board. The team did not spend a high pick on him, but they kept him around for three years and invested a lot of time and energy in him and got little in return. 

I don't pretend to have a solution for the backup QB problem. I doubt that it is worth trading for a decent one at this point, even another team is willing to part with a decent one. Honestly, I wonder if Manny Wilkins has a shot at becoming the backup this year, but I doubt it. I'm thinking they will keep either Kizer or Boyle and put Wilkins on the practice squad. We'll see how it shakes out. There is a lot of preseason football to be played. There is still time for Kizer or Boyle to show us something. 

20 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

Hundley was very good in his rookie preseason, missed his second due to an injury, and was awful in his third preseason, but Thompson and McCarthy kept him anyway. Somebody will probably come along now with Hundley's stats in that third preseason, which were not horrible, but he was playing conservatively and could not move the offense or put points on the board. The team did not spend a high pick on him, but they kept him around for three years and invested a lot of time and energy in him and got little in return. 

I don't pretend to have a solution for the backup QB problem. I doubt that it is worth trading for a decent one at this point, even another team is willing to part with a decent one. Honestly, I wonder if Manny Wilkins has a shot at becoming the backup this year, but I doubt it. I'm thinking they will keep either Kizer or Boyle and put Wilkins on the practice squad. We'll see how it shakes out. There is a lot of preseason football to be played. There is still time for Kizer or Boyle to show us something. 

I agree.  I don't see the purpose of keeping both Kizer and Boyle.  I would rather keep that roster spot to see if Kendall Donnerson, or J'Mon Moore figure out football, or keep a 4th TE, or a special teams ace like Trevor Davis.