2020 Draft Thread

Forge

Just now, Justone2 said:

Yeah he sure has his limitations physically. At some point though it is hard to ignore his tape. Wouldn't take him early but from day 3 on i definetly see him being a solid pick.

This. He shouldn't be taken in the first three rounds imo. After that, he has good enough film to warrant taking a flier on him. But he is a long-term type of pick. He's not going to hit the ground running from a technical standpoint. He'll need to be coached up.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

We don't have times for Sherman, so I can't say. But I'm not all about the exception proving the rule, either. I'll take my change missing the 1 guy in 100+ that may work by downgrading them too much. 

That's fine, if you have a rule of a corner timing lower than time "____" and being automatically disqualified, cool. But he plays fast enough and had good tape in the SEC. If he was going to get exposed, there was plenty of opportunity for it to happen with all those great WRs, and it didn't happen. Was able to match up the likes of Chase/Alabama WRs just fine. Now, you have guys like Tabor who did solid in the SEC himself and obviously has done nothing in the league and timed bad. So there is definitely that. But in round three? Definitely have Dantzler on my radar. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's fine, if you have a rule of a corner timing lower than time "____" and being automatically disqualified, cool. But he plays fast enough and had good tape in the SEC. If he was going to get exposed, there was plenty of opportunity for it to happen with all those great WRs, and it didn't happen. Was able to match up the likes of Chase/Alabama WRs just fine. Now, you have guys like Tabor who did solid in the SEC himself and obviously has done nothing in the league and timed bad. So there is definitely that. But in round three? Definitely have Dantzler on my radar. 

If we ran a straight man coverage scheme? He'd be undraftable for me based on his time to be perfectly honest. With our specific defense, running quarters and zone three as much as we do? I'm okay with giving him a draftable grade, but it's just later right now. I can maybe give him a bump for the combine timing thing (a lot of people's times were slower than previous year averages), and maybe as @Justone2 said, some of this is bad technique...I can listen to appeals for that but I don't think I can get up to a third round grade, but the difference really isnt' that big of a deal. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

If we ran a straight man coverage scheme? He'd be undraftable for me based on his time to be perfectly honest. With our specific defense, running quarters and zone three as much as we do? I'm okay with giving him a draftable grade, but it's just later right now. I can maybe give him a bump for the combine timing thing (a lot of people's times were slower than previous year averages), and maybe as @Justone2 said, some of this is bad technique...I can listen to appeals for that but I don't think I can get up to a third round grade, but the difference really isnt' that big of a deal. 

We run a lot of man in our scheme. Even if technically we can be in a zone on one side, often times the other side is in man coverage with very little help. If a corner is a pure zone corner, I would not like that player in our scheme. I don't think Dantzler is that. He can play man and has nice recognition when playing off coverage in zone. I'm very interested in seeing the team that drafts Dantzler and which scheme he plays in. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Like I said, his tape warrants a hard look on Day 3. But I'd take a guy like Robinson II from Tulsa over him in the earlier rounds. He's tape isn't as great as Dantzler's but you can see imense potential to go along with some impressive athletic gifts.

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Like I said, his tape warrants a hard look on Day 3. But I'd take a guy like Robinson II from Tulsa over him in the earlier rounds. He's tape isn't as great as Dantzler's but you can see imense potential to go along with some impressive athletic gifts.

Not sure i would take Robinson over him but if you need someone to groom Robinson II is a great pick.

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Haven't actually watched Robinson yet but know he's a favorite of many. Will watch him at some point, and I love taking corners with athletic gifts in day 3 as well. Coach them up well enough and you may have something. Culliver was one of those guys and he was pretty damn good for us while many didn't think he would make an impact until year three. He came out rookie season playing well. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Not sure i would take Robinson over him but if you need someone to groom Robinson II is a great pick.

Robinson has a great feel for space in zone coverage, which I feel is a very underrated trait. And he's raw so he could be infinitely better in a couple of years. As a prospect, he's the kind of talent you gamble on over someone like Dantzler who may have been a better college player overall but you worry about him keeping up with pro WRs, athletically. Some systems will value him more, but he's as much of a risk as Robinson II...and that's with him having better film

Edited by 757-NINER

Just now, 757-NINER said:

Robinson has a great feel for space in zone coverage, which I feel is a very underrated trait. And he's raw so he could be infinitely better in a couple of years. As a prospect, he's the kind of talent you gamble on over someone like Dantzler who may have been better college player overall but you worry about him keeping up with pro WRs, athletically. Some systems will value him more, but he's as much of a risk as Robinson II...and that's with him having better film

If you want someone to contribute from day one Dantzler is a better pick. If you want someone you can work with i would go with Robinson.

However apparently Dantzler ran a 4,38 at some kind of pro day some players attended and filmed: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2885886-video-miss-sts-cam-dantzler-runs-438-40-after-clocking-464-at-nfl-combine

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

If you want someone to contribute from day one Dantzler is a better pick. If you want someone you can work with i would go with Robinson.

However apparently Dantzler ran a 4,38 at some kind of pro day some players attended and filmed: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2885886-video-miss-sts-cam-dantzler-runs-438-40-after-clocking-464-at-nfl-combine

I've seen this floating around and not sure it is 4.38 but he is neither that fast or as slow as 4.64. You can pretty clearly see on the field he looks like a 4.5 player and that's perfectly fine. 

36 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I've seen this floating around and not sure it is 4.38 but he is neither that fast or as slow as 4.64. You can pretty clearly see on the field he looks like a 4.5 player and that's perfectly fine. 

Honestly that in no way is a 4,38 and the timing really seems to be very favorable. Probably a 4,5 at the fastest.

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly look at that first step: 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000001104763/Cameron-Dantzler-runs-official-4-64-second-40-yard-dash-at-2020-combine

Look he isn't a guy that will ever run a 4,4 or anything like that but he almost goes backwards with his right leg on that first step.

Oof, that first step is so brutal

5 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly that in no way is a 4,38 and the timing really seems to be very favorable. Probably a 4,5 at the fastest.

I can buy something like 4.55 or a little higher just based on the numbers for the group as a whole being off / slower from the am / pm thing. I don't know that it's a real thing (maybe it's just a slow class lol), but there was a lot of talk about the average being so much higher across the board for a lot of drills.