2020 Draft Thread

Forge

5 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I think it is too early to state the bold as fact, he may be eye'd at playing Guard, but if Staley does retire, I bet they give him a look.

I dont like the idea of giving up a draft pick for a 1 year rental and having to pay him. I understand what you are saying, we just look at this differently philosophically, I would rather use that pick to build out the future of our team. Williams also hasnt played in a while, so we cant say there wont be any drop off in play.

That being said, Staley is coming back, I am pretty darn confident......but it will be his last season

Pay him what though? We are paying him his salary for next season, but that's it. Then if/when Williams signs elsewhere on a decent contract, then you get a compensation pick. And if I am right that it will only take a mid round pick to get him, you pretty much get that pick back and high level production for one season. 

Williams just didn't play last season, but played 13 games the season prior. I'm fine with that, not like this is an Aldon Smith situation or anything and not like Williams is coming off a terrible injury. 

As for Brunskill, I'm just taking the word of our beat writers. Multiple beat writers including the two most respective in Maiocco and Barrows have stated the team sees Brunskill as a guard not a tackle going forward. Can things change? Sure.......

6 minutes ago, Aussie9er said:

But what are the chances of williams holding out if he doesn;t get a new contract upon being traded i have to say pretty damn high. 

No team is going to make a move for Williams without talking to his reps first. Obviously if it is a MUST that he gets a long-term deal, then it is highly unlikely this team makes a move for him, even if Staley retires before the draft. 

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean we don't have to sign him to a long-term deal. Can let him walk after the season and get a compensation pick in return. It's not about drafting a young tackle, you can do that while using that tackle at guard for this season and have Williams at LT. So there won't be any drop off from Staley to Williams and you still have one of the best bookend duo in the game. Then when Williams walks after the following season, the young tackle shifts outside and takes his spot. This is to maximize the chances of winning a SB next season.

And what if the top tackles are all gone before #13 and Staley ends up retiring. What are you doing then? Rolling with Coleman or Skule at LT? I mean I would be a lot more confident if Brunskill actually had the fair opportunity of winning the LT job, but of course the coaching staff is hell bent at playing him at guard. 

I don't know the Trent Williams situation all that well, but I'm guessing he wouldn't agree to the bold. He's been jerked around by the Redskins for two years, I would assume his agent wants to get him locked down with a team that wants him for the long haul. 

5 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

In my eyes the best single high FS in this class. If he had tested at the combine i think he would be talked about more but not really seeing a way it makes sense unless we really have no confidence in Moore.

I wouldnt mind giving him a shot, at this point we have Ward locked up, Tartt is a FA after next season, and we dont really know what we have with Moore yet. Could either be Tartt's replacement, Ward's replacement or a solid backup. I wondering where he will be drafted, gotta think mid/late second at this point?

1 minute ago, P_locniners said:

I wouldnt mind giving him a shot, at this point we have Ward locked up, Tartt is a FA after next season, and we dont really know what we have with Moore yet. Could either be Tartt's replacement, Ward's replacement or a solid backup. I wondering where he will be drafted, gotta think mid/late second at this point?

Yeah i wouldn't mind him but he probably is a second rounder at this point who could even slide to the 3rd. Also isn't really a Tartt replacement or you must want to slide Ward to SS. 

Yeah i wouldn't mind him but he probably is a second rounder at this point who could even slide to the 3rd. Also isn't really a Tartt replacement or you must want to slide Ward to SS. 

Thats a good question, I am a bit worried putting 'Mr. Glass' Ward in a more physical position, but given that Ashtyn Davis isnt necessarily know for his run support and could probably step into the FS role more readily, that may be our only option.

7 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Agreed. Dugger is the perfect Tartt replacement, which is an immediate need with all of the contracts up at the end of the season. 

• Like 1

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

Agreed. Dugger is the perfect Tartt replacement, which is an immediate need with all of the contracts up at the end of the season. 

Not sure i would go safety early but i think we should be looking to add a box safety to at least compete and probably beat out Harris.

Not sure i would go safety early but i think we should be looking to add a box safety to at least compete and probably beat out Harris.

I definitely agree that we need someone else. We could probably find some in the later rounds, but the thought of Kyle Dugger on our defense is pretty intriguing. I've seen him compared to Tartt in terms of play style, but Dugger is much more athletic. 

But with the team holding meetings with multiple safeties, I wonder if they plan on trading down to accumulate picks and draft one in the 2nd or middle rounds? Not a direction I would go in, even if Tartt doesn't return after next season to be honest.

At this point I would be VERY surprised if the team passes up one of the tackles if they make it to #13. That seems to be the likely pick, over a WR. 

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But with the team holding meetings with multiple safeties, I wonder if they plan on trading down to accumulate picks and draft one in the 2nd or middle rounds? Not a direction I would go in, even if Tartt doesn't return after next season to be honest.

At this point I would be VERY surprised if the team passes up one of the tackles if they make it to #13. That seems to be the likely pick, over a WR. 

Teams are really going to have to be mindful of their trades....its' the one thing that is certainly going to be negatively impacted by the way this draft is being conducted. There won't be any on the fly trades, that is for sure. these will all be decided well in advance before being on the clock. I think the later rounds may have a significant lack of movement. 

I just wonder how difficult it’s going to be to make trades this year due to the draft being remote and online. I know they are doing a mock draft to make sure there are no hiccups, but this year’s draft will be interesting none the less. 

• Like 2