2020 Draft Thread

Forge

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/4/6/21208845/maiocco-50-50-chance-joe-staley-plays-in-2020

Maiocco continued with a conversation with colleague Laura Britt, saying, 'I’m going to go 50/50' when asked about the chance Staley plays in 2020. Matt said that Staley had been going to the 49ers facility every day after the Super Bowl loss in attempts to get back to full strength. As we know, San Francisco closed its facilities on March 14.

This is the first I'm hearing that Staley is 50/50. I'm still in love with Jeudy or Lamb at 13. But if Wirfs, Thomas, or Becton are there, I'd be really interested in them.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/4/6/21208845/maiocco-50-50-chance-joe-staley-plays-in-2020

This is the first I'm hearing that Staley is 50/50. I'm still in love with Jeudy or Lamb at 13. But if Wirfs, Thomas, or Becton are there, I'd be really interested in them.

I've been on the tackle train at #13 even with assuming Staley returns for one more season. But watching the actual video, Maiocco was just saying that even if Staley returns, it won't be for much longer so you have to start looking at the future. I honestly think this was one of the reasons they were willing to trade Buckner. Sure the money situation would have made it tough to retain him, but the FO/Shanny knew that they would have to fill the tackle need very soon. 

17 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Yeah if the top three(Wirfs, Thomas, Wills) get there at 13 no doubt i am going with one of them. Just don't think there is a big chance that will happen though.

Yeah same I think all 3 are gone in the top 10

For some reason I feel KJ Hamler will be high on Kyle list of wr he likes. Besides his explosive talent(which will make an impact immediately)...Kyle has never been afraid of wr size(or lack of it). I think Deebo, Hurd, Bourne and of course Kittle fill out the receiving options with size/move the chains. Goodwin, Benjamin and Richie are our only real deep threats right now. To be honest none of them are locks to make the roster come Sept. Taylor and Pettis don't really fit either category.

Obviously it would be after a trade back from 31 in the 2nd or 3rd rd. Getting the feeling 13 will come down to highest rated OL/DL on our board. Then depending on what type of deal comes our way take BPA at position of need there after. 

8 minutes ago, sherm said:

For some reason I feel KJ Hamler will be high on Kyle list of wr he likes. Besides his explosive talent(which will make an impact immediately)...Kyle has never been afraid of wr size(or lack of it). I think Deebo, Hurd, Bourne and of course Kittle fill out the receiving options with size/move the chains. Goodwin, Benjamin and Richie are our only real deep threats right now. To be honest none of them are locks to make the roster come Sept. Taylor and Pettis don't really fit either category.

Obviously it would be after a trade back from 31 in the 2nd or 3rd rd. Getting the feeling 13 will come down to highest rated OL/DL on our board. Then depending on what type of deal comes our way take BPA at position of need there after. 

I agree that he’ll like Hamler - the speed is part of it, but Hamler is a nasty separator at the top of the route tree. I just worry that he’s a touch frail for the NFL. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sherm said:

I certainly hope this is true if Hamler is a target. He is talented, but for any team to take him in the 1st...:S.

I really am not following any supposed 'logic' behind these QB in the 1st round conjectures, guys. Not at all. Didn't restructure Jimmy G?! We must be willing to part with him or trade him?! Not getting that line of reasoning at all. Sure, he could have done better in the SB...same for the OL! Same for Kyle's play-calling. Bailing on Jimmy G already? I'll wait and see. 

10 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I agree that he’ll like Hamler - the speed is part of it, but Hamler is a nasty separator at the top of the route tree. I just worry that he’s a touch frail for the NFL. 

His size is no different than the other "small" wr we already have.  

Just now, sherm said:

Lol hey just saying he has similar size.

FWIW, I agree with you 100%. If we don't go WR in the first and are able to trade down / acquire a second or third, I Think Hamler is way high up on the list for Shanny as a receiver. 

• Like 2

I disagree that Hamler would be up on Shanahan's list. 

I think one of the biggest things Lynch/Shanahan have learned is that a players size and physicality is critical. They invested in Akhello Weatherspoon/Marquise Goodwin/Trent Taylor/Dante Pettis and none of them has worked out. I think Pettis/Goodwin/Taylor in particular prompted the Niners to go the other direction and take two incredibly physical players in Deebo and Jalen Hurd at the same position. 

I think we're off smaller/weaker players particularly in the early rounds of the draft. If they are late round/undrafted guys who can play then there's less risk. 

For this reason I don't think Jerry Jeudy would be high on our board. 

3 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

I disagree that Hamler would be up on Shanahan's list. 

I think one of the biggest things Lynch/Shanahan have learned is that a players size and physicality is critical. They invested in Akhello Weatherspoon/Marquise Goodwin/Trent Taylor/Dante Pettis and none of them has worked out. I think Pettis/Goodwin/Taylor in particular prompted the Niners to go the other direction and take two incredibly physical players in Deebo and Jalen Hurd at the same position. 

I think we're off smaller/weaker players particularly in the early rounds of the draft. If they are late round/undrafted guys who can play then there's less risk. 

For this reason I don't think Jerry Jeudy would be high on our board. 

You have to admit that there's a certain degree of hilarity with this given that Hurd missed the entire season with an injury and Deebo has a checkered history with injuries as well. 

That being said, I don't know that you can take anything from their selections with regards to that. There's not a big enough sample size. Kyle has always liked having a RAC monster (Deebo), just like he has always liked having someone that can stretch the field. Hurd provides size, something this receiving group sorely needs, along with versatility that the others can't provide (that's why he was learning the F role). 

Shanny may value size more than he did now, but that won't stop him from valuing guys that can create chunks of separation in the manner that Hamler can. 

Saw something on another SF site that broke down the type of WRs that Kyle leans to. It was all about the quicks, but they need to have some RAC chops too. 

like, sub 7 (or low as possible at) on the 3 cone.. 4.3 or better on the short shuttle. 

We drafting Pittman Jr. from USC at #31 overall. It's already done.