2020 Draft Thread

Forge

2 hours ago, Forge said:

LOL it's funny you said this. So there is an unreleased podcast from a couple of weeks ago that is still going to come out, and I said the same exact thing about the guard playing out of his mind thing. Like, what do you do if you draft Wirfs and he's like an all-pro level, Quenton Nelson guard his first year? 

I think easily move him back to tackle. Kyle again doesn't value guards play. I guess the problem would be if he struggled at tackle when you move him.

• Like 1

Just now, sherm said:

No. I need these GM to prove they know how to do their jobs. I want the bad GM's to be exposed. 

Yeah, one random year with extenuating circumstances really isn't going to do that. 

And frankly, without the help, I doubt that many of these GMs know what they are doing in this regard.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

LOL it's funny you said this. So there is an unreleased podcast from a couple of weeks ago that is still going to come out, and I said the same exact thing about the guard playing out of his mind thing. Like, what do you do if you draft Wirfs and he's like an all-pro level, Quenton Nelson guard his first year? 

Get the best 5 guys on the field as much as you can. If Staley is gone in 2021 and Tomlinson/Brunskill are still here, then move Wirfs to tackle. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

U leave him there. I'd rather have a proven all-pro RG than an unproven LT. 

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

Get the best 5 guys on the field as much as you can. If Staley is gone in 2021 and Tomlinson/Brunskill are still here, then move Wirfs to tackle. 

I get that mindset but what if he is just average at OT. For me if he turns out to be Nelson at G you draft a T next year or try it with Brunskill, Skule or Coleman as a starter.

27 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I get that mindset but what if he is just average at OT. For me if he turns out to be Nelson at G you draft a T next year or try it with Brunskill, Skule or Coleman as a starter.

Which would you rather have: Average at tackle and good at guard or below average to bad at tackle and elite at guard?

This is assuming they do nothing to improve the line next year and we're only talking about guys on the roster, but if we draft Wirfs this season, then my 2021 lineup would look like this:

Wirfs / Tomlinson / Richburg / Brunskill / McGlinchey

I don't think Skule or Coleman are upgrades at any spot above.

4 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Which would you rather have: Average at tackle and good at guard or below average to bad at tackle and elite at guard?

This is assuming they do nothing to improve the line next year and we're only talking about guys on the roster, but if we draft Wirfs this season, then my 2021 lineup would look like this:

Wirfs / Tomlinson / Richburg / Brunskill / McGlinchey

I don't think Skule or Coleman are upgrades at any spot above.

Honestly after last year: 

Brunskill/Tomlinson/Richburg/Wirfs/McGlinchey might be better than Wirfs and Brunskill the other way and thats more because i project Wirfs as elite at guard and i think Brunskill is better at OT than he is at OG. On the other hand Wirfs would be the only one i would project as a starter at OG from the top tackles this year. If Wirfs dissapoints at OG you 100% try him at OT but if he lights the world on fire i think you keep him there.

But then again i am not one of those guys that believes that tackles should be rated much higher than guards. Yeah guards usually have more protection around them and it helps cover up certain things. However you can help tackles too and it generally doesn't matter what guy on your O-line is bad if you have one the opposition will take advantage of him. Also having a strong interior makes it easier for a QB to move in the pocket because they have the room in front of them where if your interior gets pushed back because they aren't good enough your QB just doesn't have much room to move.

Edited by Justone2
  • Like 1

Nice little write up on how Ruggs fits in with the Niners.....not gonna lie, im warming up to the idea.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/2020-nfl-draft-profile-how-alabamas-henry-ruggs-would-fit-49ers

My main question was about his slighter frame (Hollywood Brown, John Ross, etc.), but the talk about his toughness and the fact that he is sure-handed is intriguing.

Edited by P_locniners
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Juedy has a way slighter frame than Ruggs, I guess I never questioned Ruggs ability to stay healthy.

You think? I wouldn't say WAY lighter. Ruggs is 5'11 188lbs and Juedy is 6/1 192lbs, height weight, the difference isnt that significant IMO

I could also see Juedy adding some weight and it not hurting his game...probably improve it.

Edited by P_locniners

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Agreed. 

If you're looking at it from a "best value" method, I think it has to be Thomas at 13 followed by receiver at 31 (or if you want to go DT / CB that's fine as well). But I don't know how you pass up on the tackle there, even if Thomas maybe isn't the best guy to consider as a possible guard his first year. 

I'd love Thomas at 13 but it would also be the best case scenario for a trade down with someone like Miami. Would it be better we get Thomas or trade down with Miami for #18 and #56 or further down for #26 and their first 2nd and 3rd rounder?

4 minutes ago, Melbourne 9er said:

I'd love Thomas at 13 but it would also be the best case scenario for a trade down with someone like Miami. Would it be better we get Thomas or trade down with Miami for #18 and #56 or further down for #26 and their first 2nd and 3rd rounder?

No way Thomas falls to 18, we basically would be looking at DT,WR,CB there.