2020 Draft Thread

Forge

48 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

If you want someone to contribute from day one Dantzler is a better pick. If you want someone you can work with i would go with Robinson.

However apparently Dantzler ran a 4,38 at some kind of pro day some players attended and filmed: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2885886-video-miss-sts-cam-dantzler-runs-438-40-after-clocking-464-at-nfl-combine

These things don't really exist for me. I know a lot of players are doing this (especially ones who didn't get combine invites in the like), but completely impossible to believe in, unfortunately. 

In my final official mock in the mock section, I have you guys going:

13. WR Henry Ruggs III

Trade 31 for 34 and a 4th (you guys desperately need draft picks)

34. IOL Cesar Ruiz

Feel you guys need IOL in a big way. Chris Jones had his way in that Super Bowl, among other examples throughout the season. Ruiz is the best IOL of this draft and fits the mold of a tough physical, but agile linemen. 

To me though, Pick 13 is one of the most unpredictable picks of the entire draft. Could see a trade down, could see a WR, could see a CB, could see a IDL, and I could even see a trade up with future picks if they absolutely love someone. 

Anyways, good luck in the draft! 

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

In my final official mock in the mock section, I have you guys going:

13. WR Henry Ruggs III

Trade 31 for 34 and a 4th (you guys desperately need draft picks)

34. IOL Cesar Ruiz

Feel you guys need IOL in a big way. Chris Jones had his way in that Super Bowl, among other examples throughout the season. Ruiz is the best IOL of this draft and fits the mold of a tough physical, but agile linemen. 

To me though, Pick 13 is one of the most unpredictable picks of the entire draft. Could see a trade down, could see a WR, could see a CB, could see a IDL, and I could even see a trade up with future picks if they absolutely love someone. 

Anyways, good luck in the draft! 

I wouldnt be mad if it ended this way. Two players that can step in as rookies and contribute.

On the other hand, and I know you probably werent taking trades into account, I CANNOT see us staying at pick #13 or #31 without trading back at this point. We dont have a lot of holes, but the ones we do have should be addressed in round 1-3. That gap between rounds 2-5 is brutal, even though we have had some talented late round picks

Edited by P_locniners
  • Like 1

Perhaps the most notable tweak to the process could be the implementation of a special rule for draft-day trades. Troy Vincent, the NFL's executive VP of football operations, said during the conference call the league is considering a "reasonable" idea of granting teams a one-time option to extend their selection window by one or two minutes in order to finalize a trade with another team. Since team executives will presumably be separated from both other clubs and their own team's staff during the draft, a potential extension could help teams in the event logistical issues complicate discussions. That possibility, Vincent said, will be discussed with the NFL's Competition Committee

I was just reading a write up from Max Staley at Fanduel (first ive come across his writing), but IF we stay put at #13 and #31, he had some picks that I couldnt argue with. He had us taking:

Pick#13 Javon Kinlaw

Pick#31 Denzel Mims

Now, I would like to trade back from one of our picks, but these two picks would be super interesting. I have been watching film on both these guys, I gotta say, Kinlaw could step in from the start and ,while he may not be as good as Buckner right away, he could possibly make us forget we lost him. 

The Mims pick I really like, as I have stated before I am a big fan, he strikes me as a T.O, type WR that provides something we dont have on the roster and his combine was very impressive.

The main reason these two picks make sense is that, other than Sanders and Buckner, we are bringing everyone back. Yes it would be great to draft an OG or OT for the future...and YES, it would be great to draft a CB because Sherman's contract is up after this season.

BUT, just in terms of next years SB run, these two picks come in and mitigate our losses and add to the rest of the team that made the SB. I know people are gonna wanna upgrade the interior O-line and/or grab another CB because Moseley and Witherspoon have yet to solidify opposite Sherman....but these guys started and got us to the SB. You could even argue that Moseley should improve in his second full season and Brunskill should be better than Person.

Again, I would like to move back from one of our first round picks, but if we left the first round with Kinlaw and Mims, I would still be very happy, one of the few scenarios I would be happy with if we kept our tow 1st rounders.

I'd be ok with Kinlaw at 13 but I know most won't be. Also need to know what WR were on the board when we took Mims. I was an early fan of his but his hype train has gotten out of hand. I see top 20 potential pick now. Not sure about that. Still like him and think he brings an added punch to your vertical gm...not sure Devante Parker(my comparison) is worth a 1st rd pick though.

11 hours ago, P_locniners said:

I was just reading a write up from Max Staley at Fanduel (first ive come across his writing), but IF we stay put at #13 and #31, he had some picks that I couldnt argue with. He had us taking:

Pick#13 Javon Kinlaw

Pick#31 Denzel Mims

Now, I would like to trade back from one of our picks, but these two picks would be super interesting. I have been watching film on both these guys, I gotta say, Kinlaw could step in from the start and ,while he may not be as good as Buckner right away, he could possibly make us forget we lost him. 

The Mims pick I really like, as I have stated before I am a big fan, he strikes me as a T.O, type WR that provides something we dont have on the roster and his combine was very impressive.

The main reason these two picks make sense is that, other than Sanders and Buckner, we are bringing everyone back. Yes it would be great to draft an OG or OT for the future...and YES, it would be great to draft a CB because Sherman's contract is up after this season.

BUT, just in terms of next years SB run, these two picks come in and mitigate our losses and add to the rest of the team that made the SB. I know people are gonna wanna upgrade the interior O-line and/or grab another CB because Moseley and Witherspoon have yet to solidify opposite Sherman....but these guys started and got us to the SB. You could even argue that Moseley should improve in his second full season and Brunskill should be better than Person.

Again, I would like to move back from one of our first round picks, but if we left the first round with Kinlaw and Mims, I would still be very happy, one of the few scenarios I would be happy with if we kept our tow 1st rounders.

This would be rather disappointing, IMO. Baylor WRs are a no-no in the 1st round, in my draft thinking and Kinlaw is a BIG boom or bust dude. Would much rather trade down with both picks if those are our options. Yuck!

10 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

This would be rather disappointing, IMO. Baylor WRs are a no-no in the 1st round, in my draft thinking and Kinlaw is a BIG boom or bust dude. Would much rather trade down with both picks if those are our options. Yuck!

I agree Kinlaw is kinda a Boom or Bust prospect, but a booming Kinlaw could cancel out the Buckner loss, his game film is still impressive.

No Baylor in the 1st? Mims is looking like a potential steal at #31, many were thinking he would be gone by then. For me, it comes down to Mims, Jefferson, Pittman at #31. 

I just look at it as mitigating our losses from this season and infusing young talent. Again, this is IF we stay at #13 and #31, I would like to sure up the DT and WR positions that we took at hit on this off season.

26 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

This makes no sense. Why are Baylor WRs no-no in the 1st round? What does Mims have to do with past Baylor WRs? And Josh Gordon ended up being a stud on the field and he came from Baylor. 

32 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Welp, Niners had pre-draft interview with Mims

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/135911-barrows-identifies-seven-pre-draft-interviews-including-baylor-denzel/

12 hours ago, P_locniners said:

Pick#13 Javon Kinlaw

Pick#31 Denzel Mims

Would be underwhelming for me, to be honest. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This makes no sense. Why are Baylor WRs no-no in the 1st round? What does Mims have to do with past Baylor WRs? And Josh Gordon ended up being a stud on the field and he came from Baylor. 

Gordon had one magical year, yes. Kendall Wright was okay for a year, then out of the league at 28. Corey Coleman was one of the tremendously bad first round receiver busts. We will see what happens with Hurd (side note, did anyone hear Brian Peacock hint that Hurd may never play on the locked on NFL draft podcast? WTH is that? Is that for real?). Terrance Williams was actually pretty solid for where he was drafted (even though he basically was what you think of when you think of Baylor receivers). The Baylor history isn't ideal, but a lot of that is due to the way that Gordon dismantled his own career. If he had just been an awesome receivers, I think the optics look better. But I definitely get the skepticism with regards to Baylor receivers high on the list. 

They are typically insanely raw because they have no real coaching with regards to actually being a receiver. They are athletes asked to catch the football (now we have gone through different staffs, so we will see if that continues)