2020 Draft Thread

Forge

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I think I just am in the minority. I see such sky high bust potential on Kinlaw. He really worries me. 

Hes very raw but he has natural ability. He has gotten by with using his length, strength, and quickness to overpower guards on the interior his whole life. He never learned other moves because he didn't need them. 

Watch the tape. He gets doubled more often than not, and hes still making plays that make you say wow. Hes weapons grade plutonium 

Hes not an immediate starter, but this would be the perfect place for him (outside of everyone comparing him to buckner) because we have a technical, good communicator as a DL coach to help mold him, and because he wouldn't be asked to do anything he isn't already good at right away because we have so many other players.

We would put him on the field at first as a pass rusher alongside our other STUDS and he would see only one G or one C on most plays for the first time in his whole life lol Its going to be so easy for him to make splash plays rushing the passer when everyone is terrified of bosa, ford, etc. That's also an argument as to why we don't need him, because we already do have those other guys and are 'fine' without him.

So, I completely understand why you say this, I still think OT is the right move if the right one is there, but that may not happen. Kinlaw does have the upside to be a dominant inside pass rusher. If he develops a swim move or some other counter moves, he is going to be unblockable. His power and quickness is off the charts. 

I personally don't believe that peter king is going to nail our first round pick 3 years in a row. I think maiocco had it right, and that it will be a T. staley might have already told the team he was going to retire. 

I have this bad feeling that kinlaw or simmons is going to be playing in arizona

8 hours ago, Geek said:

This is also my list. Ruggs would be an easy #1 receiver for us and Thomas is almost too good to pass up. Jeudy is great and would be a great player for us but he's a little redundant with our current personnel. Henderson is a good pick for the future and Kinlaw is meh because I want to see what our other guys can do.

Yeah, I didn't expect to find myself in the Ruggs corner, but I am. I don't yet know that I would take him over Lamb.. but it's close.

I see Ruggs as more than just the 4.2 speed, obviously. His 10" hands are sure.. his vertical ability (42" v and 10' 11" bj) erase any (5' 11") height knock. His routes are good and diverse, and his mental makeup looks ideal. He's also tough for Shanny, and can shake free of tackles. 

I wouldn't be upset over us selecting Jeudy either, and unfairly or not, I just didn't care for his interview much. He didn't come off as terribly sharp of mind, and i trust his hands a bit less than the others. Probably will still be a good one but who knows. 

• Like 3

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/4/14/21219557/espn-nfl-network-to-simulcast-2020-nfl-draft

Trey Wingo will be the anchor of the ESPN/NFL Network broadcast, and he’ll be joined by fellow ESPN colleagues Mel Kiper Jr., Louis Riddick, and, most notably, Booger McFarland. The contributors from NFL Network will be Rich Eisen, Daniel Jeremiah, Michael Irvin, and Kurt Warner.

COME ON!!!! 

Is ESPN just trolling its fans now? Absolutely no one enjoys listening to Booger speak.

Of the group listed above, I'd be happy with Wingo and Eisen co-hosting the event with Kiper, Riddick, and Jeremiah giving analysis and breakdowns. There is plenty of personality and humor between Wingo and Eisen to fill the color roll. Booger, Irvin, and Warner are just taking air time away from people who have something important and useful to say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

Yeah, I didn't expect to find myself in the Ruggs corner, but I am. I don't yet know that I would take him over Lamb.. but it's close.

I see Ruggs as more than just the 4.2 speed, obviously. His 10" hands are sure.. his vertical ability (42" v and 10' 11" bj) erase any (5' 11") height knock. His routes are good and diverse, and his mental makeup looks ideal. He's also tough for Shanny, and can shake free of tackles. 

I wouldn't be upset over us selecting Jeudy either, and unfairly or not, I just didn't care for his interview much. He didn't come off as terribly sharp of mind, and i trust his hands a bit less than the others. Probably will still be a good one but who knows. 

I'm pretty much there, too. I've got Lamb as the top WR, but only narrowly ahead of Ruggs and Jeudy as 2a/b. Never once wanted the 49ers to draft a shortish, speedy receiver in the first round...never...but I'd be happy if they took Henry Ruggs III this year. Dude's a little monster. Like you said, the hands, toughness, and makeup are all there to go along with the speed. #13 is actually a great slot to be in this draft in terms of maximizing the value of the pick, as there seems to be a 2nd tier of blue chip talent in this draft that runs 14 deep, or so, by consensus.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Watch the tape. He gets doubled more often than not, and hes still making plays that make you say wow. Hes weapons grade plutonium 

My problem is the tape. I think he's inconsistent and I don't like his motor, to be honest. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

I'm pretty much there, too. I've got Lamb as the top WR, but only narrowly ahead of Ruggs and Jeudy as 2a/b. Never once wanted the 49ers to draft a shortish, speedy receiver in the first round...never...but I'd be happy if they took Henry Ruggs III this year. Dude's a little monster. Like you said, the hands, toughness, and makeup are all there to go along with the speed. #13 is actually a great slot to be in this draft in terms of maximizing the value of the pick, as there seems to be a 2nd tier of blue chip talent in this draft that runs 14 deep, or so, by consensus.

.. and on that note.. just sticking to the thought of WR, oh my. It looks so stacked that.. as desperate as we should feel for WR, I'm not going to stress if we wait until #31 or rd 2 to select one. I'd be optimistic about Jefferson, Claypool, Pittman Jr.. basically a handful more that could put us over the top. I'm no pro scout by any stretch, but this WR class looks ridiculously loaded. I'm going to be utterly fascinated in seeing how just these guys come off the board on draft days. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John232 said:

I’ll be furious if we take Kinlaw. We have way more pressing needs, especially since we already have competent to good players possibly in the rotation already.

That's the thing. Having Buckner and Armstead along with Jones/Ford/Bosa was a luxury. But definitely don't need to panic and get Buckner's replacement in round one. Not opposed to getting an interior DL at some point, but positional value matters and interior DL is not up on the list. Wouldn't be happy with the selection due to the positional value, considering what this team has. In terms of the actual player? I do like Kinlaw and prefer him over Brown. 

A team that there have been reports on trading up is Atlanta. I wonder what exactly they are looking for? OL help? DL help? Would be a decent trade down option for us as we may be able to snag a 3rd rounder by just trading down three slots. 

• Like 3

I just did a mock on TDN, and I'm pretty happy with the results:

1.18 (via Mia): Jerry Jeudy, WR: The Dolphins took Wirfs at 5, and Lamb, Jeudy, Becton, and Thomas were still on the board, so I rolled the dice and traded down with the Dolphins and ended up with Jeudy and a 4th.

2.44 (via Ind): Justin Madubuike, IDL: Love was still on the board at 31, so I flipped 31 and a 5th for the Colts 2nd and 3rd. I took Madubuike here because the 49ers have interest in him and they apparently really want to fill the 3T position through the draft. From what I read on him, he's long and explosive. He's a pretty refined pass rusher with lots of functional strength. 

3.75 (via Ind): Lucas Niang, OT: Niang is a monster of a man (6'7 340), but is surprisingly nimble. He profiles well in a zone blocking scheme and is a pretty good pass protector.

4.141 (via Mia): Devin Duvernay, WR: The value was just too good to pass up. A twitchy alpha-dog with the best hands in the draft class who is explosive out of the slot. He could be extremely productive in our scheme.

5.156: Dalton Keene, TE: I've been on his band wagon for a few years now, and I LOVE him in the 5th. A do-it-all, superior athlete who gets to learn his craft from Juszczyk and Kittle. Keene could be a hidden weapon in this offense with his versatility.

5.173 (via Mia): Tanner Muse, SS: I don't love the SS class outside of Dugger and Chinn, but I really wanted someone who could push Harris for playing time, while providing insurance for Tartt. Muse is pretty athletic and very smart. He's not super rangy, but will be a big upgrade to Marcel Harris.

7.217 (via Det): Myles Bryant, CB: I really wanted Harrison Hand, as I think he's tailor-made for our defense, but he went a few picks before our first 5th. I still want a CB, but the outside CB group is pretty barren in the 7th. I went with Bryant because he profiles as a real nice nickle corner with great explosiveness, willingness to hit, and great zone coverage ability. He's basically a younger and faster K'Wuan Williams.

7.245: James Robinson, RB: A do-it-all RB with great athleticism. He will be a pre-season stud that will live at the bottom of the depth chart, but could eventually carve out a significant role due to his pass catching and pass blocking abilities.

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's the thing. Having Buckner and Armstead along with Jones/Ford/Bosa was a luxury. But definitely don't need to panic and get Buckner's replacement in round one. Not opposed to getting an interior DL at some point, but positional value matters and interior DL is not up on the list. Wouldn't be happy with the selection due to the positional value, considering what this team has. In terms of the actual player? I do like Kinlaw and prefer him over Brown. 

A team that there have been reports on trading up is Atlanta. I wonder what exactly they are looking for? OL help? DL help? Would be a decent trade down option for us as we may be able to snag a 3rd rounder by just trading down three slots. 

Can't imagine it's oline help. They drafted like 2 offensive linemen in the first last year, still have Mack I think. Corner is an area of need, but I wouldn't trade up for that in this draft, particularly with that defensive system. So I would think that it has to be Dline. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Can't imagine it's oline help. They drafted like 2 offensive linemen in the first last year, still have Mack I think. Corner is an area of need, but I wouldn't trade up for that in this draft, particularly with that defensive system. So I would think that it has to be Dline. 

Then Kinlaw has to be the guy they are looking at to next to Jarrett. I mean unless they want to get someone like Chaisson? Which edge player could they not get at #16? I don't know if those rumors are true or not, but I believe King mentioned the Falcons as one team looking to move up and he doesn't just say BS for the hell of it. Remember this time last year he also mentioned the Niners/Packers as two teams that may trade for Dee Ford. Maybe before actually April but you get my point. 

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think the rumor with Atlanta is trading up for C.J. Henderson if he falls out of the top 10. I'm pretty sure he's one of their top prospects.

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

I think the rumor with Atlanta is trading up for C.J. Henderson if he falls out of the top 10. I'm pretty sure he's one of their top prospects.

Okay, that makes some sense. They definitely need to improve their secondary, though it played better late in the season and they gave us more fits defensively than pretty much any team in the league. It was pretty amazing to watch as we couldn't get NOTHING to our receivers. Of course, some of it may be Quinn seeing Shanahan in practice for those two years and knowing what he likes to do, but it was still impressive. I had high hopes for Oliver. Not sure why he hasn't played better. They lost Trufant so definitely need another corner. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Okay, that makes some sense. They definitely need to improve their secondary, though it played better late in the season and they gave us more fits defensively than pretty much any team in the league. It was pretty amazing to watch as we couldn't get NOTHING to our receivers. Of course, some of it may be Quinn seeing Shanahan in practice for those two years and knowing what he likes to do, but it was still impressive. I had high hopes for Oliver. Not sure why he hasn't played better. They lost Trufant so definitely need another corner. 

I could see Henderson falling to 12 and Mayock thinking he could move down and get some extra picks while still getting a premium player at 16. Henderson goes to the Falcons at 12, and we have our pick between Jeudy and Lamb at 13.