2020 Draft Thread

Forge

Henderson I've always been high on but could understand why some were little lower on him.

But I never got the Thomas hate? Well, maybe not hate but didn't get why he was falling the most from the top 4? He has clean tape and help up very well in the SEC. What am I missing there? He's pretty much the safest tackle prospect out there. Willis? Very good but questions if he will be as effective at LT. Wirfs has the most potential but is he better suited to be a guard and he's another one that played primarily from the right side. Becton? A little raw right now and will have to be coached up. I'm a Wirfs guy myself, but I'd be lying if I said Thomas wasn't the safer choice. Pretty much a given he is going to be good from day one. 

20 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I think the rumor with Atlanta is trading up for C.J. Henderson if he falls out of the top 10. I'm pretty sure he's one of their top prospects.

Lots of rumors starting to come out that Henderson is going to go much higher than people think, so this makes sense. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lots of rumors starting to come out that Henderson is going to go much higher than people think, so this makes sense. 

Also rumors that Detroit badly wants to trade out of #3. Now the question is, how far does Okudah slip if that happens? I guess depends where Detroit is able to trade down to? So maybe #6 if they trade with LAC? Jaguars may take a hard look at Henderson? Heck, Okudah if he drops would be ideal there as well. 

What is the one surprise top 10 pick you guys see happening? 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Also rumors that Detroit badly wants to trade out of #3. Now the question is, how far does Okudah slip if that happens? I guess depends where Detroit is able to trade down to? So maybe #6 if they trade with LAC? Jaguars may take a hard look at Henderson? Heck, Okudah if he drops would be ideal there as well. 

What is the one surprise top 10 pick you guys see happening? 

Depends on how you mean. Like a surprise top 10 pick that I think will happen, or a surprise top 10 pick that I think could happen? 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Depends on how you mean. Like a surprise top 10 pick that I think will happen, or a surprise top 10 pick that I think could happen? 

Could happen. Always that one player no one expected in the top 10 that ends up going. Or heck, just maybe a player that is getting a lot of top 10 love that you see dropping? 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Henderson I've always been high on but could understand why some were little lower on him.

But I never got the Thomas hate? Well, maybe not hate but didn't get why he was falling the most from the top 4? He has clean tape and help up very well in the SEC. What am I missing there? He's pretty much the safest tackle prospect out there. Willis? Very good but questions if he will be as effective at LT. Wirfs has the most potential but is he better suited to be a guard and he's another one that played primarily from the right side. Becton? A little raw right now and will have to be coached up. I'm a Wirfs guy myself, but I'd be lying if I said Thomas wasn't the safer choice. Pretty much a given he is going to be good from day one. 

Ditto for Henderson...

I'm just not big on Thomas. I just don't see a high-level LT in the pros. Maybe a RT in some schemes but I see a OG. He reminds me alot of Scherff, who I said at the time wasn't a pro OT either though most slotted him there, pre-draft. 

I think Thomas will be a great run blocker@OT in more of a power scheme. But he didn't look that good to me blocking on the move and he didn't look as smooth and coordinated in pass-pro as the other top OT prospects. I just don't like his fit for our line if they plan to play him out on an island. 

I think the bold might be his issue. People love untapped potential, sky-high ceilings, and athletic freaks. Wills and Thomas are the most pro-ready of the top 4 tackles, but don't stand out in any physical trait. Wirfs got a boost because of his rare athleticism, but there are holes in his game. Becton got the same bump because of his size and movement skills, but he too needs plenty of refinement.

Of the 4 top tackles, Becton and Wirfs are getting the most buzz because they're spectacles and made the most noise during the off-season. Wills and Thomas have been steady since day one, but didn't pop off in the combine like the other two. 

Thomas reminds me a lot of McGlinchey. A good, clean dude who puts in the work every day and is good to great across the board. There's nothing sexy about him, he's just a damn good tackle that goes under the radar because he's just doing his job. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

This was on the athletic a couple of weeks ago, but it really is fun 

He's become my favorite DE (partly because you don't have to take him in the 1st round!) and I would take him in the 3rd or 4th if we had any picks there! Love this kid. He has a lot of room for improvement in his technique, but the kid is not slow and is always looking to make a play. Does not take plays off.

Edited by Chrissooner49er
Disturbed by the censoring of a mundane word...

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I just did a mock on TDN, and I'm pretty happy with the results:

1.18 (via Mia): Jerry Jeudy, WR: The Dolphins took Wirfs at 5, and Lamb, Jeudy, Becton, and Thomas were still on the board, so I rolled the dice and traded down with the Dolphins and ended up with Jeudy and a 4th.

2.44 (via Ind): Justin Madubuike, IDL: Love was still on the board at 31, so I flipped 31 and a 5th for the Colts 2nd and 3rd. I took Madubuike here because the 49ers have interest in him and they apparently really want to fill the 3T position through the draft. From what I read on him, he's long and explosive. He's a pretty refined pass rusher with lots of functional strength. 

3.75 (via Ind): Lucas Niang, OT: Niang is a monster of a man (6'7 340), but is surprisingly nimble. He profiles well in a zone blocking scheme and is a pretty good pass protector.

4.141 (via Mia): Devin Duvernay, WR: The value was just too good to pass up. A twitchy alpha-dog with the best hands in the draft class who is explosive out of the slot. He could be extremely productive in our scheme.

5.156: Dalton Keene, TE: I've been on his band wagon for a few years now, and I LOVE him in the 5th. A do-it-all, superior athlete who gets to learn his craft from Juszczyk and Kittle. Keene could be a hidden weapon in this offense with his versatility.

5.173 (via Mia): Tanner Muse, SS: I don't love the SS class outside of Dugger and Chinn, but I really wanted someone who could push Harris for playing time, while providing insurance for Tartt. Muse is pretty athletic and very smart. He's not super rangy, but will be a big upgrade to Marcel Harris.

7.217 (via Det): Myles Bryant, CB: I really wanted Harrison Hand, as I think he's tailor-made for our defense, but he went a few picks before our first 5th. I still want a CB, but the outside CB group is pretty barren in the 7th. I went with Bryant because he profiles as a real nice nickle corner with great explosiveness, willingness to hit, and great zone coverage ability. He's basically a younger and faster K'Wuan Williams.

7.245: James Robinson, RB: A do-it-all RB with great athleticism. He will be a pre-season stud that will live at the bottom of the depth chart, but could eventually carve out a significant role due to his pass catching and pass blocking abilities.

IRL, I would expect you to get more for that 1st trade down (or at least a 3rd instead of a 4th). I like the trade AND pick (Madubuike)...not familiar with Niang. Duvernay? I probably would not take him that high (but that may be my anti-Longhorn bias creeping in...). In fact, I would probably swap the Keene and Duvernay picks. I too absolutely love Keene. He's my consolation prize if we can't get Trautman. The last 3 I will admit I don't know much about, but I like the positions addressed.

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

IRL, I would expect you to get more for that 1st trade down (or at least a 3rd instead of a 4th). I like the trade AND pick (Madubuike)...not familiar with Niang. Duvernay? I probably would not take him that high (but that may be my anti-Longhorn bias creeping in...). In fact, I would probably swap the Keene and Duvernay picks. I too absolutely love Keene. He's my consolation prize if we can't get Trautman. The last 3 I will admit I don't know much about, but I like the positions addressed.

The TDN trades are awful. My trade was our 1st for Miami's 1st, 4th and 5th. IRL, the trade would probably be Miami's 1st, 2nd, and 5th or 1st, 3rd, and 4th, something like that. I like the ability to trade in their mocks, but their trade logic is awful.

• Like 1

So you're saying there is a chance Okudah drops to #13????

Terrell is a smooth corner and definitely has talent. But I'm not putting him over Okudah, no way. As for Henderson? Okay, I'm fine with that. Henderson probably has a bigger ceiling but Okudah is as rock solid as it gets. What is glaring weakness he has? 

27 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Terrell is a smooth corner and definitely has talent. But I'm not putting him over Okudah, no way. As for Henderson? Okay, I'm fine with that. Henderson probably has a bigger ceiling but Okudah is as rock solid as it gets. What is glaring weakness he has? 

Yeah, I dont get the AJ Terrell above Okudah. If someone wants to argue between Henderson and Okudah, I would listen, but those two are the obvious top CB's. Guess im watching film on AJ to end the workday!

Maybe there's a ton more legit info out there in the public, but aside from the rumors and speculation, surprises typically happen for two reasons.  

1) Some top dogs just suck at their job.. and 2) only the insiders really get to dig deep into a player's character... and then develop a strong bromance or aversion of having that player on their roster. That can really tip the perception-value balance, and then it's concocted into a hello-shocker-reach!!!!!"

18 hours ago, John232 said:

I’ll be furious if we take Kinlaw. We have way more pressing needs, especially since we already have competent to good players possibly in the rotation already.

Not me. Buckner is gone and Jones may be out of our price range a year from now.

• Like 1

My ideal  first few rounds at this point would probably be :

1. Ruggs

2. Matt Hennessy in a trade back while collecting a 4th rounder

4. Best corner available. Preferance in this order: Jaylon Johnson, Trevon Diggs, Bryce Hall