2020 Draft Thread

Forge

10 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

This is an A++ article on WR's in this class: https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/4/16/21223080/49ers-ranking-the-20-best-receivers-in-the-nfl-draft

The more I think about it, the more I want to double up on WR's in this draft.

I'm all aboard the Jeudy or Lamb at 13 train, but I'm really liking Reagor and Aiyuk in the second. I think Reagor is a fringe-1st rounder and wouldn't be surprised if a team took him at the end of round 1. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's sitting there in the 35-45 range either. I think Aiyuk is a mid to late 2nd rounder.

I'm really starting to love Devin Duvernay from Texas. The more I read about him the more I love. Elite hands, Deebo-level toughness, speed for days, and great route running out of the slot. 

I'm also a huge fan of Michael Pittman. He's being slept on, but he could be an impact outside WR pretty quickly. 

I like all the prospects you mentioned except for Aiyuk, he a very good in space, but I think he needs much more work than every prospect you mentioned. I just dont see him turning into a #1 WR ever, the rest I could definitely see. I know people are very high on him, i just dont see it.

Some people are looking at Aiyuk as a fringe first rounder, I cant wrap my head around it.

Edited by P_locniners
  • Like 1

The short is, I'm back just in time to catch the Jeudy TRIO Train #13 of Lamb, JJ, or Ruggs. Any of the 3 would be a huge win for us.

I don't know what I had been looking at before, but it wasn't as flattering of Jeudy as what I just came away from. As I watch more of Jeudy, I now can see what the hoopla's all about. He still seems the mental midget of the trio, but if he can do in the pros what he's done prior, who cares. 

16 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I like all the prospects you mentioned except for Aiyuk, he a very good in space, but I think he needs much more work than every prospect you mentioned. I just dont see him turning into a #1 WR ever, the rest I could definitely see. I know people are very high on him, i just dont see it.

Some people are looking at Aiyuk as a fringe first rounder, I cant wrap my head around it.

Yeah, I would agree. The more I watch and read about Aiyuk, the more I'm seeing someone you would have to create specific plays for to get him on the field in a meaningful way in year one, then hopefully the playbook opens up more for him after a full offseason in the NFL. 

The biggest thing going against developmental guys this year is the serious lack of exposure to their team's training before the season starts. It seems like if you're going to roll the dice on a developmental guy with less polish in this draft, you have a high-percentage chance of pretty much punting his rookie year and treating year 2 as his rookie year.

Our window to win a SB is right now, so taking guys who are more pro-ready in the draft is going to really help the 49ers this season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

So where does a player's love of cooking fall on evaluations for you guys? Super important? Lol

LOL there's always a few guys every year that get this treatment because football isn't their only love. Myles Garrett still gets ragged on for loving poetry and music. Who the F cares. 95% of the players in the NFL are obsessed with video games, why isn't that a problem if cooking is?

I like Lamb, Jeudy (perhaps Ruggs, grudgingly) for WRs at 13 or Wirfs. Perhaps another there is someone surprises us by being there...but I really don't feel there should be a need for a DT in the 1st. 

I like the points this article makes for DJ Jones allowing us to go another route this high: https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/4/15/21220120/an-argument-against-taking-a-defensive-tackle-in-the-first-round-d-j-jones

Reagor I could get excited about (or Mims) as long as it isn't in the 1st round, i.e. in a trade down. Shenault and Aiyuk I have concerns about. Not sure how they would work out in the NFL.

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

So where does a player's love of cooking fall on evaluations for you guys? Super important? Lol

Didn't a scout say Eli Apple's inability to cook and live on his own was a big knock on him? Now we have Becton getting killed for being a good cook and eating too much LOL. 

This is when scouts have too much time on their hands and just try to come up with anything they can to knock a prospect. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Didn't a scout say Eli Apple's inability to cook and live on his own was a big knock on him? Now we have Becton getting killed for being a good cook and eating too much LOL. 

This is when scouts have too much time on their hands and just try to come up with anything they can to knock a prospect. 

I actually said the same exact thing in the draft forum when this was posted about an hour ago. Hilarious. 

Just now, Forge said:

I actually said the same exact thing in the draft forum when this was posted about an hour ago. Hilarious. 

Like there could be legitimate reasons to knock Becton and his future in the league. Why not mention those legitimate football reasons over him liking to cook? Seriously, what are we doing here? 

Lombardi thinks the Broncos are trying to trade up to #10 to get a WR.

So if Jacksonville goes WR over OT/DL/CB, and then Denver gets up to #10 and then the Raiders take a WR..........You get my point. 

Still will be no need to panic and then just take the best tackle or CB, or just move down. Heck, prime spot to trade down with the Falcons in that scenario? Though they probably want to get ahead of us to take a DT? So maybe they trade with the Raiders instead? 

8 minutes ago, John232 said:

Antonio Gibson is officially my draft crush. If we get extra picks, I’d want him him the third.

I see he's starting to get some love among the fanbase. I've been high on him since the Senior Bowl. But I think the Combine put everyone on notice to just how athletic he truly is. Kind of weapon this offense would take full advantage of.

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Makes perfect sense to me. So it's a guarantee it won't happen...

Only way I would alter this is if one of Willis, Wirfs, or Becton fell to us. But I think that's a pipe dream at this point. 

I wouldn't mind going Henderson@13 and Jones@31. That would be a great first round imo if no trade back. But Jones may very well go in the 20's.