Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

Texans have discussed potential Jadeveon Clowney trade with several teams including the Redskins. The Redskins so far have not been willing to trade Trent Williams though and so those talks haven't gone anywhere.

So far, the front runner is Miami bc they’ve actually had Clowney in to talk to him about coming there. The issue is that Clowney wants to play for a team that could make the playoffs and that would narrow it down to Seattle and maybe the NYJ.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-Clowney-trade-Dolphins-Seahawks-Eagles-Jets-14396505.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Mario Williams is one of my favorite players.  I was always on that side of the argument against the Reggie Bush fans, and on the forums I used to be on, those were some heated debates and quality posts.  

Williams got the shaft in Buffalo when Rex Ryan came on board though.  Changed the defense despite having a top 4-3 unit, and everyone played terribly because they weren't a fit.  I hate it when coaches change the system just for themselves.  It's the height of arrogance, that they can't hire someone to come in and run a system that is different from theirs, despite having the players to run it very well.  

Mike Shanahan did the same thing when he came to DC. Of course most of our defense was getting older, but we still had had a top 10 D that ran a 4-3 in 2008.

I liked the idea of switching to a 3-4, but the issue the Redskins had is that they didn’t sign or draft a top NT to man the middle and that was on Shanahan. You can’t run a two gap 3-4 with a guy who should be playing 3-4 end playing NT.

I loved the signing of Cofield, he was a great player for us, but Shanahan used him wrong. Cofield should have been playing 3-4 DE across from Carriker in 2011 and we should have drafted or signed someone else instead of Bowen, to be our true two-down NT.

Oh well, can’t change it now, but I never understood why they had Cofield playing NT.

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I meant about Clowney overall. I don't care about your fudge rounding. 

Fair enough, but some of things that Clowney does, the pressure in the run game and pass game he provides doesn't show up on the stat sheet. He oftentimes gets into the backfield and creates disruption, even if he doesn't get the sack or make the tackle for loss.

I know people love Kerrigan and point to a stat of sacks but as far as an all-round player for, Clowney is better and he's 5 years younger.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Mike Shanahan did the same thing when he came to DC. Of course most of our defense was getting older, but we still had had a top 10 D that ran a 4-3 in 2008.

I liked the idea of switching to a 3-4, but the issue the Redskins had is that they didn’t sign or draft a top NT to man the middle and that was on Shanahan. You can’t run a two gap 3-4 with a guy who should be playing 3-4 end playing NT.

I loved the signing of Cofield, he was a great player for us, but Shanahan used him wrong. Cofield should have been playing 3-4 DE across from Carriker in 2011 and we should have drafted or signed someone else instead of Bowen who was more of a true NT.

Oh well, can’t change it now, but I never understood why they signed Cofield playing NT.

Because

giphy.gif&f=1

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That .5 sack is such a big deal!... If you’re rounding up bc he shared a sack then, he did get 10 sacks.

IMO, a half a sack is a sack too.

The issue isn't him being .5 off for 10 sacks, Clowney was billed as what Aaron Donald is now. Not only should he have had 10 sacks but pushed 15-20 been an unblockable force etc.

Here is the beginning of his draft profile

"Summary: The hype around Jadeveon Clowney is justified. He is the best defensive prospect to enter the NFL draft this century - with the possible exception of Ndamukong Suh in 2010. Clowney has a rare skill set with an elite combination of speed, strength and athleticism. He is the "Andrew Luck" of defensive draft prospects; a high-pick lock who is extremely coveted by every team in the NFL and a safe selection to turn into a franchise player."

He has basically been Ryan Kerrigan a very good player.

1 hour ago, rizzy said:

The issue isn't him being .5 off for 10 sacks, Clowney was billed as what Aaron Donald is now. Not only should he have had 10 sacks but pushed 15-20 been an unblockable force etc.

"Summary: The hype around Jadeveon Clowney is justified. He is the best defensive prospect to enter the NFL draft this century - with the possible exception of Ndamukong Suh in 2010. Clowney has a rare skill set with an elite combination of speed, strength and athleticism. He is the "Andrew Luck" of defensive draft prospects; a high-pick lock who is extremely coveted by every team in the NFL and a safe selection to turn into a franchise player."

Aaron Donald doesn't have JJ Watt playing on his DL opposite him or Whitney Mercilus playing at LOLB who also will get some sacks.

Not taking away anything from the best defensive player in the NFL but it is true that if you aren't playing with any other great pass rushers it means there should be more opportunities for you to get pressures and sacks.

There's only so many sacks a defense can get. When a defense has Clowney, Watt & Mercilus on it, those sacks will be divided up amongst those players.

I honestly think it's why we never saw Preston Smith get double-digit sacks. When you're playing with Allen, Payne, Ioannids and Kerrigan and you’re the ROLB going against the opposing teams best pass blocker - their LT - it's a harder road to the QB for them.

I know people won't agree bc it's easier to point to stats then to actually come up with a reasonable explanation as to why a 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB hasn't had near 15 sacks but it makes sense to me.

36 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Per D Hall's new podcast, Trent Williams plans to continue his holdout into next week.

'There's zero chance I'll be in that building next week.'

STOP WITH THE "Like but I don't like" POSTS ALREADY!! :D:D:D

:(

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Per D Hall's new podcast, Trent Williams plans to continue his holdout into next week.

'There's zero chance I'll be in that building next week.'

I am so tired of Trent Williams at this point.  Please, trent, stop using proxies and tell us straight up or at least have your agent do it, not your friends. 

If this is truly all about the training staff and you are taking some moral high ground, well then why don't you file an official grievance?  

Bruce Allen, please just trade him already.  At this point you know the teams who want him now.  I don't recommend waiting for an in season injury, you may miss out.  If you have a good offer, take it.

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I loved the signing of Cofield, he was a great player for us, but Shanahan used him wrong. Cofield should have been playing 3-4 DE across from Carriker in 2011 and we should have drafted or signed someone else instead of Bowen, to be our true two-down NT.

Oh well, can’t change it now, but I never understood why they had Cofield playing NT.

I agree, when you have a piece like Mario Williams you continue to build around him and play to his strengths. 

When Shanny switched to a 3-4 I understood a bit because it was an older unit, where guys were getting replaced anyway. He screwed up in only 2 spots though, picking a coordinator and picking players, outside of Kerrigan

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

I am so tired of Trent Williams at this point.  Please, trent, stop using proxies and tell us straight up or at least have your agent do it, not your friends. 

If this is truly all about the training staff and you are taking some moral high ground, well then why don't you file an official grievance?  

Bruce Allen, please just trade him already.  At this point you know the teams who want him now.  I don't recommend waiting for an in season injury, you may miss out.  If you have a good offer, take it.

Trent doesn't have to say anything IMO but, I’d certainly like him to. IMO, it's on our awful team president. He should have already traded Trent.

8 hours ago, rizzy said:

Exactly.  He needs to be a guy who transcends a defense to live up to his hype, and he's been very good, just not elite.  

Archived