Report - Dak Seeking 40m Per Year Deal

goldfishwars

12 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

No it's not just those you describe.  Even the most frugal, penny pinching best of them in the NFL if given the opportunity to make an extra 50M over the course of their careers, would jump at the chance. Let's not pretend otherwise,  please?

Did Aaron Donald piss away his rookie money? JJ Watt? Rodgers? Julio? Wilson? I'm 100% positive Carson Wentz didn't!

This is about maximizing the financial rewards in what limited time you have as a Professional Athlete. Well for most Athletes that is!

Read above.  I'm all good for players getting their money and not taking discounts if they don't want to, but I do think players should get paid what they are worth in comparison to the market.  5 of those players are/were the top of their position or unquestionably in the top tier of their position.  Wentz is overpaid, at least based on what we know so far of him, but his is at least slightly justified as he's shown the ability to be a top tier QB in the NFL and the Eagles are banking on him continuing to play at that level while also staying healthy.  Not a great bet but understandable and one I wouldn't have done until after this year where he showed he could stay healthy and continue to play at that level.

Dak has shown to be a very efficient, but not top tier QB.  I don't think Dak could carry a team with problems in others areas to the playoffs like I think Rivers, Brees, Brady, Rodger, Mahomes, Big Ben, Luck, and Wilson can/could.  I have more faith in Watson and Baker being those players.

So kudos to athletes that decide to get paid instead of taking a discount, but that also doesn't mean that a team should overpay for a player that wants to get paid and hurt the chances of what all sports teams primary goal is, to win a championship.  Paying Dak more than he's worth will hurt the Cowboys chances of fulfilling that goal as he's not one of those top tier guys, or at least he hasn't shown it YET.  Let him bet on himself this year.  If he puts up the same type of year as he has, then offer him the $30 mil again, as unfortunately that's the current going rate of a QB of that caliber.  If he takes the next step pay the man the money he deserves as you can afford to skimp elsewhere because of what he brings.  But don't just pay a guy top dollar because they are "next up."

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Elky said:

Ya

I think Dallas would be fine with it.  I'm pretty sure Baltimore was fine with it as well since they got their Super Bowl.  I also think that Dak now is better than Flacco ever was, so if he just regressed back to his current average after having a breakout year, they would still be in a good position to win if they can get good players at other positions cheaply.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, showtime said:

Remember when Andrew Luck signed the largest QB contract ever years ago?  What does that rank right now?  I think several guys have jumped that deal since Luck signed his. 

Just because you're the next guy up doesn't mean you should be the highest paid in the league. Dak is not worth that based on the current market we have in front of us. Plain and simple

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Just because you're the next guy up doesn't mean you should be the highest paid in the league. Dak is not worth that based on the current market we have in front of us. Plain and simple

He's worth as much as Carson Wentz got.  Maybe a little more since Wentz got signed before him.  If you think Dak isn't worth that then you're being silly.

3 minutes ago, showtime said:

He's worth as much as Carson Wentz got.  Maybe a little more since Wentz got signed before him.  If you think Dak isn't worth that then you're being silly.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/7/23/20703909/nfl-executives-say-dak-prescott-is-a-tier-3-quarterback-did-they-get-it-right-dallas-cowboys

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2019/08/01/cowboys-qb-dak-prescott-use-nfl-network-top-100-omission-motivation-lights-fire#/questions

MsnECuT.png

NFL Executives, NFL Players, and NFL fans all think Wentz is superior. Based on the current market, Dak is worth between ~$29M-$31M per season. (Obviously you keep in mind it starts lower and ends up higher in subsequent years as most contracts are structured. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Danger said:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/7/23/20703909/nfl-executives-say-dak-prescott-is-a-tier-3-quarterback-did-they-get-it-right-dallas-cowboys

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2019/08/01/cowboys-qb-dak-prescott-use-nfl-network-top-100-omission-motivation-lights-fire#/questions

MsnECuT.png

NFL Executives, NFL Players, and NFL fans all think Wentz is superior. Based on the current market, Dak is worth between ~$29M-$31M per season. (Obviously you keep in mind it starts lower and ends up higher in subsequent years as most contracts are structured. 

Dak has a 4th round stigma that I think still haunts him in the Wentz debate. Dak has literally been = or > Wentz in any time measurement you want to use for 51 games with the exception of the 10 games starting Falcons '17. 

And even though no matter how you slice it, Dak stats, availability, leadership, whatever - people will make excuses for why Wentz is amazing and Dak sucks donkey butt. There is no factual argument that supports Wentz being dramatically better that doesnt rely heavily on Daks poor performance when he had *arguably* the worst group of pass catchers and pass blocking in the entire NFL.

We were giving up 6 sacks to a 2nd string caliber DE and throwing to a one legged Dez or 5 foot Beasely. Cmon man, no QB would have performed well. Not to mention that Dak himself already said he got the yips and it wasnt until mid-2019 that he felt comfortable that the OL was a complete albatross. 

Edited by Matts4313

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Dak has a 4th round stigma that I think still haunts him in the Wentz debate. Dak has literally been = or > Wentz in any time measurement you want to use for 51 games with the exception of the 10 games starting Falcons '17. 

And even though no matter how you slice it, Dak stats, availability, leadership, whatever - people will make excuses for why Wentz is amazing and Dak sucks donkey butt. There is no factual argument that supports that thesis that doesnt rely heavily on Daks poor performance when he has *arguably* the worst group of pass catchers and pass blocking in the entire NFL.

We were giving up 6 sacks to a 2nd string caliber DE and throwing to a one legged Dez or 5 foot Beasely. Cmon man, no QB would have performed well. Not to mention that Dak himself already said he got the yips and it wasnt until mid-2019 that he felt comfortable that the OL was a complete albatross. 

There are countless arguments that have been made to you time and time again but you choose to ignore them to pump up your boy. If Dak did exactly the same thing for any other team there's no way he'd be getting the hype he is right now, especially from you. And that's a fact. 

Even if you think Wentz is the better player, it's honestly not by that much.  Then when you factor in Wentz's injury history that closes the gap even more.  If Wentz just got a boatload of money, then Dak should too.  That's really the end of the story.

• Like 1

Just now, Danger said:

There are countless arguments that have been made to you time and time again but you choose to ignore them to pump up your boy. If Dak did exactly the same thing for any other team there's no way he'd be getting the hype he is right now, especially from you. And that's a fact. 

Name me one other QB that has been top 5-10 statistically for 40+ games but had one specific 10 game period of terribleness. 

Once you can show me that its ever happened before, we can then argue the merits of if that player had a good career or not.