Report - Dak Seeking 40m Per Year Deal

goldfishwars

On 8/12/2019 at 6:51 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Right?

I’m seeking 40m a year too.  Not likely to get it, but I’m seeking it.

People knee slapping because someone aimed high in a contract negotiation....

I think it is because he aimed so high, I mean he is not even settling for the last guy gets "a dollar" more.    It is asking for a salary that equates to him being the best player in the NFL and not a borderline top 10 qb. 

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

I mean, why wouldn't he want to get as much money as possible? You know how many average and unproven QBs have reset the QB market over the last 5 years?

Yeah, sure, demand an extra $10 mil, and see one or more of Zeke, Jaylon and/or Amari walk. 

It'll be hard enough to keep all of these guys with a $30 mil deal, but a $40 mil deal will probably see JS walk as well. They won't have the money to pay all these guys.

Maybe he should be thinking with trying to win a ring and still getting paid a pretty penny.

Edited by KManX89
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Yeah, sure, demand an extra $10 mil, and see one or more of Zeke, Jaylon and/or Amari walk. 

It'll be hard enough to keep all of these guys with a $30 mil deal, but a $40 mil deal will probably see JS walk as well. They won't have the money to pay all these guys.

Maybe he should be thinking with trying to win a ring and still getting paid a pretty penny.

Is that what you do? Talk to all your fellow employees and make sure you're not getting too big of a raise?

I'm sorry if I don't feel sorry for billionaire owners not having their players take discounts.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, showtime said:

I never understood this.  These guys are professional athletes and have an extremely short career, for the most part.  They go to work everyday and it could legit be their last day of work due to serious injury.  They put their bodies on the line... and in football you put your brain on the line because of the hits they take.  It's silly to suggest that these guys shouldn't try to get the most money possible.  It's easy for other people to say he shouldn't take that much, but in other professions nobody ever suggest people take less money.

If I'm being honest, it's Tom Brady's fault.  That sounds petty, but when you stop and think about it, it's true.  Brady set an unrealistic benchmark of "taking less" (not like there haven't been ways found for him to recoup that money) for the benefit of the team, such that it now seems to be standard practice for fans to expect lesser quality QB's (and players in general) to do the same.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Is that what you do? Talk to all your fellow employees and make sure you're not getting too big of a raise?

I'm sorry if I don't feel sorry for billionaire owners not having their players take discounts.

I'd be all for (if I were a Cowboys fan) giving Dak all the money in the world, if there weren't a salary cap. Statements like these are strawmans. There's a finite amount of money that they can give. Being selfish and demanding frankly far more than your worth is detrimental to the entire team around you. I get it, he wants to be paid, sure even ask for the biggest contract by just beating out Russel Wilson's deal. But $40 Million? Now you're just being an a**hole.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, showtime said:

I never understood this.  These guys are professional athletes and have an extremely short career, for the most part.  They go to work everyday and it could legit be their last day of work due to serious injury.  They put their bodies on the line... and in football you put your brain on the line because of the hits they take.  It's silly to suggest that these guys shouldn't try to get the most money possible.  It's easy for other people to say he shouldn't take that much, but in other professions nobody ever suggest people take less money.

So do you support paying soldiers in combat zones millions of dollars a year since they are more likely to actually lose their lives?  I understand professional athletes, entertainers, etc have a skillset that the majority of the population doesn't so they get paid accordingly, but to say someone should get paid due to risk of injury, especially for THE MOST PROTECTED position on the field, yeah that argument doesn't fly with me.  If you want to say because that's the going rate for a person x in field y, doing job z, sure, but that wasn't your argument.

40 minutes ago, The LBC said:

If I'm being honest, it's Tom Brady's fault.  That sounds petty, but when you stop and think about it, it's true.  Brady set an unrealistic benchmark of "taking less" (not like there haven't been ways found for him to recoup that money) for the benefit of the team, such that it now seems to be standard practice for fans to expect lesser quality QB's (and players in general) to do the same.

Actually it's teams like Cincinnati's fault that overpaid average players above their actual worth because of the "next man up" mentality.  Not every player deserves to be the highest paid at their position or even close to it.  Michael Thomas has a claim to being top 5, top 8 at worst at WR, so yeah he got paid more than he should, but that's expected for an elite player.  Dak hasn't shown that he's an elite player or even that he will project to being an elite player, so you don't pay him money that makes him the top of his position.  That's like giving Mark Ingram 17 million a year because "it's his turn to get paid" at RB.  The only people Brady "hurt" was QBs in his own tier when they don't win and they took their big contracts instead.  Guys like Brees, Rodgers, and Peyton, the elite of the elite.  Dak isn't in that area.  Hell Wentz probably shouldn't have been given 33 mil either or whatever he got paid, but he at least showed signs of being able to step into the elite top 5 QB status in the future.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'd be all for (if I were a Cowboys fan) giving Dak all the money in the world, if there weren't a salary cap. Statements like these are strawmans. There's a finite amount of money that they can give. Being selfish and demanding frankly far more than your worth is detrimental to the entire team around you. I get it, he wants to be paid, sure even ask for the biggest contract by just beating out Russel Wilson's deal. But $40 Million? Now you're just being an a**hole.

He's not expecting $40 million (and that rumor has been debunked anyways I believe), but that's what he's starting at. The team lowballs, the player asks for the moon, and then real negotiations start.

Dak threw out a high number and I don't blame him one bit. It's not his fault if the Dallas Cowboys can't afford everybody they want to keep. Those players will be paid by someone, though.

Someone is trying to maximize their earning potential and is getting crap about it. This could very well blow up in his face if Dallas balks, Dak struggles, and no one offers him the deal he expects. However, that doesn't mean he should just accept the first offer Dallas throws out.

4 hours ago, patman said:

I think it is because he aimed so high, I mean he is not even settling for the last guy gets "a dollar" more.    It is asking for a salary that equates to him being the best player in the NFL and not a borderline top 10 qb. 

At least when Flacco did this he went out and won Superbowl MVP.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

And everyone expects QB's to be like Brady, when Brady has basically unlimited income via endorsements and Gisele and his previous max contracts (which some people conveniently forget about). He can easily afford to take less at this stage because he's already made his hundreds of millions by now.

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

He's not expecting $40 million (and that rumor has been debunked anyways I believe), but that's what he's starting at. The team lowballs, the player asks for the moon, and then real negotiations start.

Dak threw out a high number and I don't blame him one bit. It's not his fault if the Dallas Cowboys can't afford everybody they want to keep. Those players will be paid by someone, though.

Someone is trying to maximize their earning potential and is getting crap about it. This could very well blow up in his face if Dallas balks, Dak struggles, and no one offers him the deal he expects. However, that doesn't mean he should just accept the first offer Dallas throws out.

Problem is, would you rather have Dak at 30 mil, or say Jameis at 12 mil after this season?  I'd almost said Jameis at 12 and hope that you can get him to stay out of trouble and reach his potential playing on the best team he's ever had.  Somethign Dallas has had success with troubled players at other positions in the past.

• Like 2

Would rather pay Zeke and Cooper under 30 combined (if possible) than Dak 30+ but that's me. This is getting out of hand quickly. I blame the Skins with Cousins and Minny putting the cherry on top. It EXPLODED after that and makes me wish we paid Kalil Mack. Word of advice...Extend your players before they've got you in a corner. KC needs to draft Pat's replacement because he'll break the bank if they wait. O.o

42 minutes ago, Raves said:

So do you support paying soldiers in combat zones millions of dollars a year since they are more likely to actually lose their lives?  I understand professional athletes, entertainers, etc have a skillset that the majority of the population doesn't so they get paid accordingly, but to say someone should get paid due to risk of injury, especially for THE MOST PROTECTED position on the field, yeah that argument doesn't fly with me.  If you want to say because that's the going rate for a person x in field y, doing job z, sure, but that wasn't your argument.

Athletes get paid a lot (entertainers) because they help generate billions of dollars and have an extremely rare skill set. 

Doesn't matter if a QB is the most protected position, those guys still get hit.  Look at Carson Palmer and all the head shots he has taken.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Yea, that is true.  They just complete ignore that Brady is in as super unique situation where his wife has a higher net worth than he does.  That family would be extremely rich even if Brady makes $0.