Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

l3nnzgn2txo51.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Its crazy how every person in the NFL loves Dak but not some Cowboys fans.

The AFC POTW (Josh Allen) thread on r/NFL has roughly six times the upvotes as that of the NFC POTW Dak Prescott.

Hating on our team is a literal pastime. It's understandable that our 'fans' would jump in too after 2+ decades of futility

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Its crazy how every person in the NFL loves Dak but not some Cowboys fans.

You do understand that there is a difference between "hating" a player and  hating the salary cap implications of paying a player, right?  I haven't seen anybody say... I don't want Dak to be the QB of the Dallas Cowboys.  period.  I do see people, myself included, question paying Dak top dollar based on a cost benefit analysis.  That is not hate.  That is economics.  I'll say it again... let's watch what Dak does Sunday against the seahawks and compare it to what Cam Newton did against the Seahawks.  Then, explain to us why Dak should get $30+ million more than Cam.

BTW... I"m NOT saying that the Cowboys front office did not flub up saying Dak.  They probably did.  They probably should have signed him at the exact same time the rams and eagles signed their QBs.  they saved money doing it their way but will definitely end up paying more in the end.

27 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

You do understand that there is a difference between "hating" a player and  hating the salary cap implications of paying a player, right?  I haven't seen anybody say... I don't want Dak to be the QB of the Dallas Cowboys.  period.  I do see people, myself included, question paying Dak top dollar based on a cost benefit analysis.  That is not hate.  That is economics.  I'll say it again... let's watch what Dak does Sunday against the seahawks and compare it to what Cam Newton did against the Seahawks.  Then, explain to us why Dak should get $30+ million more than Cam.

BTW... I"m NOT saying that the Cowboys front office did not flub up saying Dak.  They probably did.  They probably should have signed him at the exact same time the rams and eagles signed their QBs.  they saved money doing it their way but will definitely end up paying more in the end.

Look at the contract Tannehill signed with TEN this offseason, though. If Newton maintains anything close to this level of play for a full season he's going to get at least that much, and probably even more based on pedigree. I don't think going year-to-year rehabbing guys in their late-20s/early-30s is a serious approach, and clearly neither did the Titans.

I also won't give our franchise the benefit of the doubt that they can unceremoniously dump Dak and replace him with Dalton or whoever on the cheap and not see it manifest in the locker room, even though that's "kind of" what happened with the Dak-Romo transition. From a morale standpoint, it just seemed like Romo's teammates were done with him and the same could not be less true of Dak. I do agree we boned ourselves hard not paying him 13-14 months ago and that things are much, much tighter now with the price tag nudging over $40M/yr against a reduced cap... but smart teams just don't pick the wilderness over a Top 10-12 QB in his prime. You know who does? The teams formerly known as the Washington *******s and San Diego Chargers. Note how those franchises don't even exist anymore.

Edited by matt79511

1 hour ago, The_Slamman said:

We absolutely screwed up about this time last year. And now Daks agent is going to bend us over the rail. That doesnt change that he is still super likable and a great player.

4 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

I don't know Slam....I know you keep up on this board. There ae several here, that I wouldn't say HATE-HATE Dak, but clearly don't like him as a QB nor his play and how he plays. And his contract related to those that think this, do so NOT in the context of his potential salary.

On 9/23/2020 at 4:12 PM, The_Slamman said:

Fitz just threw up a 750, 5 TD performance. Remind me again why any dumb team would pay Aikman, Young, Elway, Manning, Brady, etc.

On 9/23/2020 at 2:12 PM, The_Slamman said:

People constantly forget/ignore the timeline on Dak's potential contract

Yes, we could have signed Dak, probably pretty easily for 28 Million (Jimmy G money) after his second year. (BEFORE Wentz/Goff got their deals) Was anyone truly sold AFTER year 2 for what would have been in the top 3 richest QB contracts after a 9-7 season 3300 yards 22TD 13 INTS (and keep in mind Dak was absolutely a game manager in his rookie season)

Now after Dak's 3rd season (10-6) 3800 yards 22 TDs 8 INTS the rumour was Dak wanted 32 ie: Wentz Money (And if you listen to Skip Bayless, there was basically a done deal until Dak started last season 3-0 and the price went up to 35 Million. Dak played out the year and put up some monster stats, but finished the season 5-8 and missed the playoffs. This past offseason Dak wanted it HIS way (ie: 4 years) or some kind of massive salary in year 5. This with the Cowboys knowing they had Dak on basically a 2 year 69 million dollar contract if they just exercised the 2 franchise tags

Easy to say "Man, we totally screwed this up by not giving Dak 28 Million 2 1/2 years ago with the benefit of hindsight

Edited by TheGame316

🔝 that’s a good point.  It’s easy to say we should have gotten he deal done at the same time the Wentz and Goff deals got done.  The Eagles are probably regretting the Wentz deal a little bit.  Goff is a somewhat questionable as well.  

I just go back to businessmen making business decisions.  Clearly, Dak could have long term stability.  He said no.  Jerry didn’t want to overpay/wanted to make sure Dak was the real deal before over-paying.  Dak took substantially less money over the past 2 years.  Jerry saves money over two years (possibly 3 even with franchise tag next year).  These are business decisions that grown men make.  Both sides are taking risks.  Who knows how COVID will effect the salary cap?  Lots of things going on.

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Unless our defense radically improves, I could easily see Dak breaking the record.  In fact, it likely will happen.  It's kind of  a perfect storm this year.  No crowd noise (or little crowd noise), 3 very good WRs.  Better than average OL (when healthy), and a porous defense.