Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

28 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

I honestly feel horrible for Dak and wish him a speedy recovery.  I’d love to see him make it back by the end of the year.  There is a silver lining... we will have our answer by the end of the year whether even an average nfl QBs can play well with this offense (although I expect a lot of sacks).  

Dalton is more than capable if he gets time to throw.  That's a big if given the state of our OL.  I think we are going to have to commit to running a bit more.  It will help Dalton and the defense.

1 hour ago, Northland said:

What's your recommendation?  

Run an efficient offense.

If you want to help Dalton and the defense, 1) let Dalton throw when the defense anticipates a possible run (i.e. early downs), and use play action 2) keep drives going (the best way to do this is avoid 3rd downs altogether), 3) stop fumbling the ball. 

Do that, and the offense will be fine.

“Commit to running” into stacked boxes, and the offense is going nowhere without an extremely efficient 3rd down conversion rate. 

9 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Run an efficient offense.

If you want to help Dalton and the defense, 1) let Dalton throw when the defense anticipates a possible run (i.e. early downs), and use play action 2) keep drives going (the best way to do this is avoid 3rd downs altogether), 3) stop fumbling the ball. 

Do that, and the offense will be fine.

“Commit to running” into stacked boxes, and the offense is going nowhere without an extremely efficient 3rd down conversion rate. 

My suggestion to run more and your suggestion of running a more efficient offense hinge on our patchwork OL stepping up.  That's a big question mark.  Zeke or the threat of Zeke has to be utilized more.  My initial suggestion of simply needing to run more stemmed from the fact that Dalton is not mobile.  If we pass as much as we have been he is going to get killed.  Getting a quicker start would help.  Constantly falling behind and slowly getting on track throws the best plans out the window.

Dalton is capable - if he gets time.

1 hour ago, Northland said:

My suggestion to run more and your suggestion of running a more efficient offense hinge on our patchwork OL stepping up.  That's a big question mark.  Zeke or the threat of Zeke has to be utilized more.  My initial suggestion of simply needing to run more stemmed from the fact that Dalton is not mobile.  If we pass as much as we have been he is going to get killed.  Getting a quicker start would help.  Constantly falling behind and slowly getting on track throws the best plans out the window.

Dalton is capable - if he gets time.

Your premise doesn't follow for me. Why will running the ball more result in quicker starts?

We are getting killed early in games because our turnover margin in the first half is -7. So regardless of what the playcalling strategy is moving forward, it will probably look smart if we just stop fumbling the ball so much.

52 minutes ago, D82 said:

Might be a while.

I know it.  No big deal.  Does not impact the quality of my life one way or the other.  I am finding it exhausting endlessly discussing what the Cowboys need to do to win.  Probably going to take a hiatus from watching games. 

43 minutes ago, Northland said:

I know it.  No big deal.  Does not impact the quality of my life one way or the other.  I am finding it exhausting endlessly discussing what the Cowboys need to do to win.  Probably going to take a hiatus from watching games. 

I haven't been nearly as invested the last year or two as I was in the past. I still watch most of the time if I can get the game (not a problem now that I'm in Texas), but I don't get nearly as upset as I used to when they lose.