Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

34 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Russel Wilson in his first 3 years as starter was 16th and 12th. Brees was 13th and 12th. If you want to talk about A/YA, Tom Brady was was 15th in A/YA in his first 3 years as starter.

Brady and Brees(and Peyton Manning and Joe Montana and all the other all time greats that people love to stack Daks first few years against) began their careers in an entirely different league imo. So who cares? Matt Shaub has more passing yards than Bart Starr, but no one is saying Shaub had the better career. Two different eras. 

Russell Wilson is a good comparison:

Rookie: 8th in ANY/Y

2nd year: 7th ANY/A

3rd year: 10th ANY/A

Dak was 3rd, 19th, and 19th...

But that's pretty good for a 4th rounder...

Dak has either:

A.) Taken a giant LEAP this year, and totally outperformed expectations while solidifying himself as a top 10 QB

Or

B.) Always been a top 10 QB

You can only pick one

Edited by DaBoys

6 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Brady and Brees(and Peyton Manning and Joe Montana and all the other all time greats that people love to stack Daks first few years against) began their careers in an entirely different league imo. So who cares? Matt Shaub has more passing yards than Bart Starr, but no one is saying Shaub had the better career. Two different eras. 

Russell Wilson is a good comparison:

Rookie: 8th in ANY/Y

2nd year: 7th ANY/A

3rd year: 10th ANY/A

Dak was 3rd, 19th, and 19th...

But that's pretty good for a 4th rounder...

Dak has either:

A.) Taken a giant LEAP this year, and totally outperformed expectations while solidifying himself as a top 10 QB

Or

B.) Always been a top 10 QB

You can only pick one

My position on this has been pretty consistent...

He has made a big leap in performance this year that was not totally unpredictable based on all of the really good things he had shown. He was been a borderline top-10 QB for most of his career leading up to this, and played extremely well down the stretch in 2018.

Some people were still ready to dump him. Those of us that didn't are not surprised that an already good quarterback got even better.

23 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Right. Being an NFL quarterback is basically one of the hardest jobs in the world. There are like 10-15 people in the world who, at any given moment...

Is this as true as it used to be? Late rounders like Kyle Allen, Gardner Minshew, Dak, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, and virtually every single first round QB for the last 5 years seem to pan out. Jeff Driskel can come in from WR and be fantasy QB 7. Fitzmagic still pulls out the W every year. Josh Rosen has been saddled with the two worst teams in the league two years straight and may be the only bust we have seen in awhile. Trubisky has had some slumps but he will probably look like Montana tonight. Eagles can win the SB with Foles or whoever...

The times are a changin

Edited by DaBoys

Just yesterday I listened to Will Cain and Dan Orvlosky(sp) argue about Dak. I also watched James Jones put some blame on Dak for this most recent losing streak. He showed a whole cut up of Dak missing throws over the last few weeks.

Dak has answered a TON of questions this year and been mostly lights out, but there is still a lot of mixed feelings(and mixed performances from him) that aren't quite settled. Couple that with the tumultuous future of the entire coaching staff and it's enough to give one pause about handing out large contracts to anybody rn.

It's not just one guy on one forum.

Edited by DaBoys

4 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Is this as true as it used to be? Late rounders like Kyle Allen, Gardner Minshew, Dak, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, and virtually every single first round QB for the last 5 years seem to pan out. Jeff Driskel can come in from WR and be fantasy QB 7. Fitzmagic still pulls out the W every year. Josh Rosen has been saddled with the two worst teams in the league two years straight and may be the only bust we have seen in awhile. Trubisky has had some slumps but he will probably look like Montana tonight. Eagles can with the SB with Foles or whoever...

The times are a changin

14 players who started 8 or more games in 2017 are on track to do so for the same team this season. And that includes some really mediocre names like Brissett, Winston, Carr, and Dalton.

Players can come in and have short-term success. But high-level quarterback play is still very rare.

12 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

14 players who started 8 or more games in 2017 are on track to do so for the same team this season. And that includes some really mediocre names like Brissett, Winston, Carr, and Dalton.

Players can come in and have short-term success. But high-level quarterback play is still very rare.

So Carr is really mediocre? Hasn't he had a very similar career as Dak? Young MVP candidate that had a slump for two years and came back better this year? I don't watch many Raiders games but Carr seems to get floated around alot for a Dak comparison, and he's 6 spots behind Dak in ANY/A this year.

And Dalton was the previous comparison before this year.

Edited by DaBoys

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Can someone, for the love of god, please tell me why people are still saying $40m? Dak, his agents and every beat writer in America outside of Jane Slater has refuted that number. 

WHY IS ANYONE USING THAT NUMBER?

The contract was always going to be lower than $40m. Thats a made up number said one time by Jane Slater and no one else. Im assuming it will be a 10% bump (cap bump) on the Carson/Wentz deals of $33m/yr (+ incentives). Probably ~$36m

Because For the Love of God that's what the thread title says. Besides one can say despite Dallas and struggles he's had perhaps a better year than many expected. And if you really think there's no chance that vac and his agent could actually bid for that type of offer you crazy man

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

So Carr is really mediocre? Hasn't he had a very similar career as Dak? Young MVP candidate that had a slump for two years and came back better this year? I don't watch many Raiders games but Carr seems to get floated around alot for a Dak comparison, and he's 6 spots behind Dak in ANY/A this year.

You can qibble on a name or two if you want, but my statement was that high-level QB play is hard to come by. If you want to include Andy Dalton in that category, then go for it.

12 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I'm pretty sure Carr has been benched twice this year for poor play. 

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Not true. The only stat that really matters is ANY/A

2016: 3rd

2017: 19th

2018: 19th

^^^ not really top 10 QB play

2019: 6th

Outside of a 10 game horrible stretch, Dak has continually been near/at top 10 in:

ANY/A (remember, sacks hurt this a lot, so its also a reflection of the OL)

Passer Rating

QBR

Comp %

TD/INT

The stats that matter, imo

38 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Just yesterday I listened to Will Cain and Dan Orvlosky(sp) argue about Dak. I also watched James Jones put some blame on Dak for this most recent losing streak. He showed a whole cut up of Dak missing throws over the last few weeks.

Dak has answered a TON of questions this year and been mostly lights out, but there is still a lot of mixed feelings(and mixed performances from him) that aren't quite settled. Couple that with the tumultuous future of the entire coaching staff and it's enough to give one pause about handing out large contracts to anybody rn.

It's not just one guy on one forum.

I am not in the fighting mood today, but I just wanted to point out that you can do that for literally any QB in virtually every game of their career.

20 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You can qibble on a name or two if you want, but my statement was that high-level QB play is hard to come by. If you want to include Andy Dalton in that category, then go for it.

I don't think teams are having as much trouble finding QBs as they used to.

5 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I don't think teams are having as much trouble finding QBs as they used to.

I understood what you were saying. I felt like the fact that less than half of the league having the same starting QB as 2 years ago (with a chunk of those being Andy Daltons), was pretty good evidence that my 10-15 at a time comment was pretty spot on.