WizardHawk

Prescott seeking $40m/yr

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

No he wasnt. Thats where you want that ball with a safety coming from the middle. 

Yes Gallup STOPPED then jumped and made a good catch but ball was not underthrown like Whites was later in game big difference.  If Dak has thrown it farther down field it would have allowed safety to make a play.  

Do all 22 you want I use eye test and results and after watching Football for over 40 plus years I’ve seen enough to tell a QB who can win games when needed and not make critical errors and generally throws the ball where it needs to be more often then not

Most Of the time it is a combined effort between receiver and QB. Receiver needs to learn how to run routes hold up in spaces run to the open spot and it’s up to the Qb to make the correct pass  I thought about a third deep balls missed were Gallup error BUT YES that means DAK was wrong the other times which was more often 

Obviously Dak is no where yet a complete QB especially in reading defenses but very very few young QB are  

Just like young receivers need time to adjust to the speed of the NFL game. Gallup made a lot of mistakes last year in route running  which is one of the reasons there was such a huge difference between his target/catch rate and almost all the other receivers.  I posted the numbers a long time ago in a different thread.   It was like 90% to RB TE. High 70-low 80 Cooper and Beasley. Gallup was like 58 don’t remember the exact figure

Edited by quiller

1 hour ago, quiller said:

I thought about a third deep balls missed were Gallup error BUT YES that means DAK was wrong the other times which was more often 

Daks accuracy, according to the people who study film, was considered "Excellent" when targeting Gallup. Higher than Cooper or Bease IIRC.

So why was their connection so underwhelming?

Well, they had 13 missed opportunities (total, for the year). Of those a handful are credit to the defense. A handful were poor routes by Gallup. A handful were the fact that they were high degree of difficulty passes (20+ yards downfield). And, YES, a handful were just bad throws by Dak.

The problem is, the "hot take"/lazy people on the internet want to blame 100% of them on Dak. 

1 hour ago, quiller said:

I’ve seen enough to tell a QB who can win games when needed and not make critical errors and generally throws the ball where it needs to be more often then not

I think this is a fair assessment of Dak even from those who hate him. Or at least it should be. 

On 8/16/2019 at 2:53 AM, Matts4313 said:

Definitive Guide to Defending Dak to the Haters

Step 1 - Show that he is pretty good:

Daks league-wide rankings in 2016-18, 32 games played minimum

• 8th in passer rating

• 11th in ANY/A

• 6th in CMP%

• 5th in INTs

• 7th in combined TDs

• 2nd in wins

• 1st in GWD

PFR

Step 2 - Refute "the best supporting cast ever" argument:

1. Starting Falcons '17 through 2018 the pressure rate on Dak DOUBLED

2. F.O. ranked us the #28 worst pass blocking OL in 2018

3. PFF ranked us #22 pass blocking OL in 2018, but the 27th worst at giving up sacks/pressures

4. NFL.com rated our WR's DEAD LAST at getting open in 2018, excluding Amari Cooper

5. Zeke was #22 in facing a stacked box (25% of the time). The notion that "Dak has it easy because defenses focus on Zeke" is verifiable false.

Step 3 - Show how the above affected him:

Source 1

Source 2

Step 4 - If they bring up Romo:

Prescott’s stats 2016-18: 96 passer rating, 66.1% completion percentage, 67 passing touchdowns, 7.52 adjusted yards per attempt

Tony Romo’s stats 2010-12: 95.7 passer rating, 66.4% completion percentage, 70 passing touchdowns, 7.57 adjusted yards per attempt

Source

Step 5 - Accolades:

• Rookie of the Year (2016)

• 32-16 regular season record

• 1-2 playoff record

• Been to Divisional Round twice

• 2 NFC East titles

• 2-Time Pro Bowler

• First player in NFL history with 20+ passing TDs & 5+ rushing TDs in each of his first 3 seasons

• 7th most wins all time for a 3rd year QB

• 5th most TDs all time for a 3rd year QB

• Highest passer rating when tied in the 4th/overtime in the past 25 years

• Most game winning drives since entering the league on the 8th fewest opportunities

Step 6 - the Meme:

Explain that you know he isnt worth $40m/yr. Thats not the point. The point is that he is a franchise QB and deserves a contract that pays him as such.

You know if you remove Dak's name from these stats and ask should this QB get a "franchise" QB contract I think most people would say yes.  I don't think the Cowboys have much choice but to pay Dak.  It will probably land somewhere in the $35-40 million per year.  I am biased.  I like Dak.  I like his leadership.  I clearly remember the post Danny White era and the post Aikman era.  Personally I don't want to go back there.  Finding QB's who can lead a team and win is rare.  Finding those QB's and expecting a discount contract vs. current market conditions is rarer.

2 hours ago, Northland said:

You know if you remove Dak's name from these stats and ask should this QB get a "franchise" QB contract I think most people would say yes.

Strongly disagree. I think his name is probably the coolest thing about him.