Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

Don't know what everyone is squaking about, there isn't going to be a season this year with this damn virus still looming. And even if there is it will look something like:

Key members of teams will test positive during the season and have to be quarantined for at least 2 weeks or perhaps the entire year.

So on top of:

Injuries, illegal drug use, kneeling/not kneeling for the flag, conduct unbecoming, domestic abuse, flagrant foul suspensions, contract hold outs, limited seating in stadiums due to covid 19, etc, etc, etc

We now have to contend with the possibility of key players missing significant time due to the virus.

Does any of this sound like football to you? You know, "Football." Like the days of Howard Cosell on Monday Night Football or John Madden on Thanksgiving. Rivalries, pageantry, just a grind it out, hard hitting, fun to watch freakin football game?

Nope, not to me it doesn't. And what's the point of getting your hopes up for this player or that player when said player may not even be on the field due to the gauntlet of issues "not football related" they have to run.

Hope I'm wrong, but in the event they even attempt a season it will look nothing like what we know or knew what a football season actually was.

Edited by Rtnldave

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

Don't know what everyone is squaking about, there isn't going to be a season this year with this damn virus still looming. And even if there is it will look something like:

Key members of teams will test positive during the season and have to be quarantined for at least 2 weeks or perhaps the entire year.

So on top of:

Injuries, illegal drug use, kneeling/not kneeling for the flag, conduct unbecoming, domestic abuse, flagrant foul suspensions, contract hold outs, limited seating in stadiums due to covid 19, etc, etc, etc

We now have to contend with the possibility of key players missing significant time due to the virus.

Does any of this sound like football to you? You know, "Football." Like the days of Howard Cosell on Monday Night Football or John Madden on Thanksgiving. Rivalries, pageantry, just a grind it out, hard hitting, fun to watch freakin football game?

Nope, not to me it doesn't. And what's the point of getting your hopes up for this player or that player when said player may not even be on the field due to the gauntlet of issues "not football related" they have to run.

Hope I'm wrong, but in the event they even attempt a season it will look nothing like what we know or knew what a football season actually was.

Another reason why Jerry shouldn't be rushed to hand Dak a big contract and write a big check

Right now he's got him on a game by game basis. No games, Money stays in Jerruh's account

Edited by TheGame316

5 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Another reason why Jerry should be rushed to hand Dak a big contract and write a big check

Right now he's got him on a game by game basis. No games, Money stays in Jerruh's account

Why? It's to Jerry's benefit not to do that. With the season itself in question, there is little incentive to do much of anything.

So on top of:

I hear you. Real football was when you go into the locker room at halftime and snort coke off a minors boobs. Amiright? 

(this is sarcasm) 

29 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Why? It's to Jerry's benefit not to do that. With the season itself in question, there is little incentive to do much of anything.

Sorry, meant to type "Shouldn't"

Jerruh is playing it smart here. Why spend money if you don't have to

7 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Unlike Dak... who is totally cool with his 27-21 W/L record outside of the Redskins and Giants.

Rodgers is 78-51-1 (.600) if you take out his games against the Bears and Lions (35-9- .795). Those ratios aren't that far off from 27-21 (.562) and 13-3 (.812). 27 and 21 both start with the number two though so that's all the math you need when you start with a predetermined conclusion.

37 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Rodgers is 78-51-1 (.600) if you take out his games against the Bears and Lions (35-9- .795). Those ratios aren't that far off from 27-21 (.562) and 13-3 (.812). 27 and 21 both start with the number two though so that's all the math you need when you start with a predetermined conclusion.

You think Dak is as good as Rodgers? I highly doubt that you actually believe that when you aren’t trying to be devils advocate 

8 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

You think Dak is as good as Rodgers? I highly doubt that you actually believe that when you aren’t trying to be devils advocate 

I don’t believe that, which is why I didn’t write it. He’s just the first guy that came to mind to support the very bold, borderline audacious thesis of “A QB that beats the snot out of the doormats in his division is more likely to be good than bad.”

5 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

And keeping a .600 win% over 130 games is harder than keeping .562 average over 48. 

Of course. But take any QB with, let’s say, 50 or more total starts with one franchise, omit his record against the two worst team in his division, and you will find a shocking lack of bad QBs that are over .500, average QBs that are over .550.

I tend to think the obvious gap in the team’s success against divisional/non divisional opponents since 2017 is more a matter of preparation (i.e. coaching) than QB play. I mean our team just seemed totally checked out at times last year, you can’t just put that all on Dak. I suppose this year will bear that out, one way or the other

Edited by matt79511

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Of course. But take any QB with, let’s say, 50 or more total starts with one franchise, omit his record against the two worst team in his division, and you will find a shocking lack of bad QBs that are over .500, average QBs that are over .550.

Probably, but first one I think of is:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/patriots-win-same-rate-vs-rest-nfl-they-do-vs-afc-east

“the Patriots have won at almost the exact same rate against the rest of the NFL as they have against their division.

The Patriots are 71-19 since 2003 in the AFC East. That’s a .788 winning percentage. Outside the division, they are 118-32 (.786).”

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

Probably, but first one I think of is:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/patriots-win-same-rate-vs-rest-nfl-they-do-vs-afc-east

“the Patriots have won at almost the exact same rate against the rest of the NFL as they have against their division.

The Patriots are 71-19 since 2003 in the AFC East. That’s a .788 winning percentage. Outside the division, they are 118-32 (.786).”

I mean, there's a reason I cited Rodgers and not Brady. I'm aware his/(New England's) record outside the division is superior to inside it, contrary to popular belief, which is untrue of GB under A-Aron. Is Brady the meaningfully better QB of the two, or is the difference here coaching? I would lean towards the latter.

And I didn't say it's normal, or preferable, for a good/great QB to be better in the division than outside of it, that's kinda semantical. Rather, if you remove the best 25% of a QB's starts and they're still <.500, they're probably pretty solid, because the league is essentially designed for every team to regress to 8-8. Since 2000, 9/32 teams average 9 or more wins a year, 2/32 average 10 or more: https://i.redd.it/5skbf3i32d841.jpg

Edited by matt79511

10 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I hear you. Real football was when you go into the locker room at halftime and snort coke off a minors boobs. Amiright? 

(this is sarcasm) 

Ohhh, I see. You want to introduce "truth" into the world today. 

Funny thing, since we got into multi media devices, the world is going to hell in a handbasket. 

Know why? TRUTH! People are now spilling to the world the first thought that enters their mind on any given issue without taking time to consider all the variables and see it from all sides before opening their mouths and firmly sticking their foot in it. 

To your point, snorting coke, minors, I suppose you think this is shocking? If I recall we had a President receiving sexual favors in the White House. But 8 years later his wife is running for President???

TRUTH!

Point is you earn enough money or are a viable commoditity to earn someone else a ton of money, a professional athlete, a big time politician, no one cares if you snort coke, shoot heroin, drink like fish, take advantage of minors, etc. No one cares, As long as your heros can hoist the trophy, who cares.

THATS the truth.

Edited by Rtnldave

Ohhh, I see. You want to introduce "truth" into the world today. 

Funny thing, since we got into multi media devices, the world is going to hell in a handbasket. 

Know why? TRUTH! People are now spilling to the world the first thought that enters their mind on any given issue without taking time to consider all the variables and see it from all sides before opening their mouths and firmly sticking their foot in it. 

To your point, snorting coke, minors, I suppose you think this is shocking? If I recall we had a President receiving sexual favors in the White House. But 8 years later his wife is running for President???

TRUTH!

Point is you earn enough money or are a viable commoditity to earn someone else a ton of money, a professional athlete, a big time politician, no one cares if you snort coke, shoot heroin, drink like fish, take advantage of minors, etc. No one cares, As long as your heros can hoist the trophy, who cares.

THATS the truth.

Good post and I are agree