Patriots WR Josh Gordon reinstated

Apparition

On 8/17/2019 at 12:46 PM, buno67 said:

Its crazy, the dude started 12 games last year. he basically missed 7 games last year counting the playoffs. He failed, what his 4-5th drug test since being in the NFL and I believe he entered the league in the drug program. He literally got suspended for 10 games '14, suspended for the '15 and '16 season and wasnt allowed back into the league until like 3/4 of the '17. Goes to the Pats and wont even miss a game this season for his drug issues

That just sounds so freaking weird!

Dont worry, he will likely be suspended again soon and then your hate thirst can be quenched once more

7 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

If all they were doing is allowing him to be around the team, so that he could have that support system and stay involved that would be fine, but allowing him to fully participate just is completely the wrong message.

Why is it the wrong message? the days of pot being treated as the evil weed are done in this country unless you live in texas.  Basketball does not even test for it. 

9 minutes ago, patman said:

Why is it the wrong message? the days of pot being treated as the evil weed are done in this country unless you live in texas.  Basketball does not even test for it. 

Alcohol is legal too, you can be suspended under the substance abuse policy for alcohol too, just ask Justin Blackmon

On 8/17/2019 at 7:18 AM, Superman(DH23) said:

He needs CONSEQUENCES.  Consequences must be immediate and certain or they have no effect on behavior.  If you want to help Josh, you have to get him to change his behavior.  All the league is doing by letting him back in after just TWO games, is set him on the path of destruction.  My heart goes out to his family who is ultimately going to be left being the ones who have deal with Josh's self destructive behavior.  Josh has been given multiple chances to get himself back to the league, and has shown that the league is not best place for him again and again.  My sympathy for Gordon has come to a close.  

While there should definitely be consequences for erratic behavior or just plain ol' doing stupid ish, some players are beyond help and nothing short of maybe being permabanned from the league will deter them. Greg Hardy, Aldon Smith, Vontaze Burfict, etc.

Josh Gordon, by all accounts, appears to be such a player. He's coming off his 5th (!) suspension now. As the old adage goes, ignorance is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

They definitely let him off too easily by letting him back so soon, though.

10 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

An addict doesnt need your excuses.  And if think bc somebody is an addict they dont make a choice, man you really have no clue.  The problem with your analogy is I need oxygen to live.  An addict.doesnt need drugs to live.  You would have been better off using mtn dew or coffee, or something else that people enjoy.  Addicts make choices man, choices that hurt themselves and others around them.  They are selfish, more interested in the fix, than what happens or who it effects.  

This is a post of someone who does't know what true addiction is. The addict truly believes they need drugs to live. Not like a tasty treat but brain transforming addiction.

24 minutes ago, iothar said:

This is a post of someone who does't know what true addiction is. The addict truly believes they need drugs to live. Not like a tasty treat but brain transforming addiction.

The post above clearly comes from someone who cant recognize the difference between fantasy and reality.  My daughter once believed that Santa Claus was real, doesn't make any more true bc she believed it.  I have had to overcome an addiction, you dont know anything about me.  Trying to equate things we need to live with addiction isnt doing anyone any favors, least of all addicts.  They dont need the addiction, they crave it.  They want it.  Mostly because of the way it makes them feel.  But they dont NEED it.  How do you know this?  Just ask any addict they will tell you.  "I dont need this.  I can quit anytime I want"  People need to stop treating addicts as if this isnt something they can control.  Nobody else but the addict CAN control it.  Yes addiction is a disease, but it's a VERY treatable disease that starts at accountability.

On 8/17/2019 at 11:09 PM, TheGame316 said:

What do you think missing the end of last season was? He was immediately suspended and had to apply for reinstatement, doing so only by continuing to participate in treatment/recovery

Relapse isn't a choice. He didn't just sit back and think, man, I could really use a blunt right now. Whatever his demons are, they surfaced again last season and he self medicated

The best example would be this. Convince yourself that Oxygen is illegal and then hold your breath. Embrace the Discomfort that eventually leads to Panic. See how long you can go before the fact that Oxygen being illegal isn't that much of a priority for you anymore and the only thing on your mind is breathing. When you finally take a breath notice how much better you feel and the problem that you were having, Discomfort and Panic is gone.

Thats what it's like for addicts and those who treat their mental illness (whatever it may be ) with drugs/pills or alcohol

There is a difference in the guys who recreationally use for fun, and just hope to not get caught, and the guys that are doing so because of a mental condition

I don't want to get too off course, but couldn't Gordon apply for his medical marijuana card if he has a mental condition and the NFL is taking a more lenient stance on the issue?

He's a good player when things go well. It just seems that that is hardly ever the case.

18 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Dont worry, he will likely be suspended again soon and then your hate thirst can be quenched once more

More when he was with the Browns, league had no issues killing his seasons. Goes to the Pats and the dude is special catering. 

Browns months ago, months! Ask the league about allowing Hunt to be around around the team and the facility so they can help him. League still has ruled on that. Gordon files for instatement and gets it in under a month. Here it would months for him to get reinstated when he was with the Browns. 

We can debate whether the Patriots got special treatment or not all day. What isnt debatable imo, is that this kid should be bagging groceries somewhere. The fact he is allowed to come back is sad and a slap in the face to anyone who legitimately misses time for doing less.

The next suspension will be his last, if he fails another drug test he will never play in the NFL again.

49 minutes ago, buno67 said:

More when he was with the Browns, league had no issues killing his seasons. Goes to the Pats and the dude is special catering. 

Browns months ago, months! Ask the league about allowing Hunt to be around around the team and the facility so they can help him. League still has ruled on that. Gordon files for instatement and gets it in under a month. Here it would months for him to get reinstated when he was with the Browns. 

Martavis Byrant has been pretty much banished from the league after just his 2nd suspension. Just sayin

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Martavis Byrant has been pretty much banished from the league after just his 2nd suspension. Just sayin

Exactly. I bet you Justin Blackmon which he got 5/6 chances in the league. At least with him it was drinking and not drugs. Like serious does the Pats or Gordon have blackmail pictures on the commish or what

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

The next suspension will be his last, if he fails another drug test he will never play in the NFL again.

Im not saying you’re wrong, just saying that many others (including myself) said this same thing like 3 failed tests ago, lol.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Exactly. I bet you Justin Blackmon which he got 5/6 chances in the league. At least with him it was drinking and not drugs. Like serious does the Pats or Gordon have blackmail pictures on the commish or what

Let's be real they already have asterisks next to 2 SB wins for most of us as it is. But for some reason the league just cant allow them to face adversity. They were about to go into a season without a single relevant WR other than Edleman. The league cant allow that, so Gordon has been immediately reinstated.

If it were any other team, Gordon wouldn't have gotten a response until mid season. 

Archived