Browns sign Braxton Miller

brooks1957

34 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

He isn't making the team.  We are already going to be cutting very good WRs

Tomahawk - remember just a few short seasons ago, anyone who had a whisp of talent at WR and a pulse we were ready to immortalize in Canton? Man, how far we have come.

And your point is true. There will be many players released by the Browns this August (8/31 at 4pm) who will be signed to other teams and play significant roles on their new teams.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Is he practice squad eligible? Could be a good scout team Lamar Jackson 

I don't think so.  Its complicated how they calculate it. But players are only eligible for 3 seasons.  And the 3rd season there are stipulations.   I think he has an accrued season from last year, which means he wouldn't be eligible.

14 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

I don't think so.  Its complicated how they calculate it. But players are only eligible for 3 seasons.  And the 3rd season there are stipulations.   I think he has an accrued season from last year, which means he wouldn't be eligible.

you are probably more right than me. I am far from a "rosterologist". Someone get Paul DePo on the blower - he would; or should; know. I am sure this was looked at prior to signing Braxton.

I think that Braxton is practice squad eligible. Players can be eligible for up to three years. I don't know if that means three seasons of accrued service (then he is eligible), or three calendar years (then he is not). He played the 2016 and 2017 seasons with the Texans. He was waived and signed by the Eagles, but spent all year on their practice squad.

The theory that he was brought here to mimic Lamar Jackson has merit. We play the Rats in week 4 - the last week  of Knucklehead's suspension.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/8/20/20813403/reviewing-the-nfl-rules-regarding-practice-squad-eligibility-salary-pittsburgh-steelers-cba-nflpa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braxton_Miller

Edited by brooks1957

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Is he practice squad eligible? Could be a good scout team Lamar Jackson 

Unfortunately his shoulder from a throwing standpoint is all but completely shredded/nonexistent. He's even admitted this, otherwise he would have been the starting QB in 2014-2015.

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Unfortunately his shoulder from a throwing standpoint is all but completely shredded/nonexistent. He's even admitted this, otherwise he would have been the starting QB in 2014-2015.

Well Jackson can’t throw anyways, so he is the perfect scout team QB lol

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

I think that Braxton is practice squad eligible. Players can be eligible for up to three years. I don't know if that means three seasons of accrued service (then he is eligible), or three calendar years (then he is not). He played the 2016 and 2017 seasons with the Texans. He was waived and signed by the Eagles, but spent all year on their practice squad.

The theory that he was brought here to mimic Lamar Jackson has merit. We play the Rats in week 4 - the last week  of Knucklehead's suspension.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/8/20/20813403/reviewing-the-nfl-rules-regarding-practice-squad-eligibility-salary-pittsburgh-steelers-cba-nflpa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braxton_Miller

Section 4. Eligibility: (a) The Practice Squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). An otherwise eligible player may be a Practice Squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment. (b) A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in a season if he has passed the club’s physical and been a member of the club’s Practice Squad for at least three regular season or postseason games during his first two Practice Squad seasons, and for at least one regular season or postseason game during his third Practice Squad season. (For purposes of this Section, a bye week counts as a game provided that the player is not terminated until after the regular season or postseason weekend in question.)

I believe his having 21 "Games played" makes him ineligible.  

I would guess he's here for Callaway's spot for now, emulating his speed, and being a scout team player/body.

He has a lot of talent but I would guess that he'll be cut by the end of camp, and if not, by the time Callaway comes back from suspension. Unless they think he can play RB and line up like Duke did...

3 hours ago, carl_sjunior said:

I would guess he's here for Callaway's spot for now, emulating his speed, and being a scout team player/body.

He has a lot of talent but I would guess that he'll be cut by the end of camp, and if not, by the time Callaway comes back from suspension. Unless they think he can play RB and line up like Duke did...

I really don't see us adding significant talent at this time.  Like the coach says: We hire 90 to cut 45.....in a week or two!