Preseason Week 3 - GDT - SF 49ers @ KC Chiefs

oldman9er

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/jimmy-garoppolo-takes-good-step-49ers-preseason-win-over-chiefs

Jimmy Garoppolo takes 'good step' in 49ers' preseason win over Chiefs

Garoppolo did his best to not pay attention to negative publicity after his unproductive 11 snaps Monday night in Denver, and he ended up playing 37 snaps with the first-team offense in Saturday’s 27-17 win over the Chiefs. “You have to ignore it and just go play football,” Garoppolo said. “I thought it was a good step coming back here to K.C., the place where it all started. Just to get that out of the way, it’s another step in the right direction.” During pregame, Garoppolo even went to the exact spot at Arrowhead Stadium where he tore his ACL last season to reflect on what he’s gone through since the injury happened. “Pregame, I wanted to check on the spot,” Garoppolo said. “Once I did that, it was over with, time to move on.

Different angle...

MBKyIve.gif

So worried about the inside rush, that he left himself weak on the out. Guess I'm glad it happens now and no injury, so Joe can clean up some of these lapses. Clark ain't no joke though. 

oh, and the extra head slam to the turf would have cost any rusher doing that to one of the League's darlings...

Edited by oldman9er

It won’t be popular here but I’d still like to see the starters play a series next week. Jimmy looked much better but every game rep he gets is good for him in my opinion. Probably good for the OL too who haven’t played together yet but should be healthy next week. And the WRs aren’t exactly established either and could use some game time reps with Jimmy. 

Disregard the tweet but more about the way Shanahan tries to challenge Pettis is a bit strange. Pettis seems like a guy who won't get better being challenged and needs to be loved to be better. Idk seems a bit weird how Pettis started otas and now. A ton of hype and know it seems gone. But I think he will be fine.

3 hours ago, straighthate said:

It won’t be popular here but I’d still like to see the starters play a series next week. Jimmy looked much better but every game rep he gets is good for him in my opinion. Probably good for the OL too who haven’t played together yet but should be healthy next week. And the WRs aren’t exactly established either and could use some game time reps with Jimmy. 

I don't know what playing against future roster cuts would mean for our starters. Let them rest. Let them practice and prepare for week 1.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Disregard the tweet but more about the way Shanahan tries to challenge Pettis is a bit strange. Pettis seems like a guy who won't get better being challenged and needs to be loved to be better. Idk seems a bit weird how Pettis started otas and now. A ton of hype and know it seems gone. But I think he will be fine.

Well that's not encouraging.

32 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I think Pettis will do well, he just needs to get into a rhythm, and get some confidence. That's why I liked seeing him play the whole game yesterday. I feel like the more he plays, the better he'll get. The guy gets open. When he has the ball, he has good vision. He's not a #1 right now, but he shouldn't be expected to be. Kittle is #1. Pettis will end up being open more often than not. If he can cut on the drops, he'll have a pretty good year. He has a role to play for this team.

About the game... Jimmy started slow (overthrows all over the place), but he settled down and played well.

I feel like Breida is still our best pure runner. Maybe TeCo is better all around, and Jet is the better receiver, but Breida's vision is second to none.

I don't know about the defense, for this game. Seems like hit or miss. Then again, we're still not fielding our real DL. I wasn't blown away by our LBs. It was weird to see OPIs called on the WRs covered by Akhello... who would have thought...

No punter tackle. Disappointing. One great punt in the corner, though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I take it as him still needing to earn the starting role, not actually be on the roster bubble. That is just asinine. 

Richie James though looks good. Runs smooth routes and is a natural after the catch. 

Right, I wanted to mention Richie James. I feel like he played his best game of football in the NFL, yesterday. Not only caught the ball, but made people miss, converted first downs, etc. And he's probably our best kick returner.

• Like 1

Pettis is 100% locked into a role. I do think a lot of the hype he got (mostly fantasy driven) was responsible for his public ascension. Pettis has some outstanding qualities but he struggles in a lot of situations where you don't want to see your proverbial "#1" struggle, specifically, physical catch points and dealing in double coverage. 

Ultimately, Pettis comes off as a super 2 more than a WR alpha. Deebo has a better chance being the high volume dog compared to Pettis. And as I said on the FF pod, think this is going to really be a really strong WR committee going into the future. 

And personally, I think Hurd really does have the best upside. I've been on his bandwagon since February 

Edited by John232
  • Like 1

If Shanny is being truthful about keeping all 3 QBs then it means we're going to lose a decent depth player elsewhere. This is where his stubbornness/arrogance kind of iritates me. We ALL see that Mullens just seems more polished, more capable to be the QB2 that comes in and actually plays steady if a injury does occur. But it's as if Shanny doesn't want to see his hand-picked QB (Beathard) fail. Keeping three QBs is not best for the team...I don't care how he spins it. That roster spot could go to someone who genuinely could help this team win on Sundays.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

I think James may be pushing Goodwin off the roster. I’m kind of digging a WR core of all (very) young guys and seeing what happens. I don’t see Mathews making it despite some recent positive comments from the team. 

Pettis, Samuel, Taylor, Bourne, Hurd, James.  Taylor would be our old vet at the ripe old age of 25. 

I just really don’t want to see any of those guys go because there just seems to be some star potential in all of them. Although they all could end up being average at best just as easily. 

I just read an article on 49erswebzone suggesting we should try and trade Pettis. There has been a lot of over-reacting going on this offseason. While I agree Pettis needs to improve, I find it highly unlikely we move on from Pettis so soon.