Why?!

Tomahawk

7 hours ago, Tomahawk said:

Granted I didn't play at a professional level, but I was plug and played all over the line as needed.  I was primarily a DE, and long snapper, but if someone got hurt, I was able to step in at any position on the line.  The process is the same just reversed, and your hand techniques aren't changing much.  

Plug and play on the defense line is completely different. Also like you said, you did it all the time, so you were use to it. Robinson has played LT his whole life basically. Again if he had all offseason to transition but you are acting like he could be the starter at RT by week one.

also your hand placements and technique does come into play. If your a DE, you have moves that work on the right side and left side. As a linemen you set up your technique to your position. The same with your feet, which is the most important aspect. 

Also it comes down to your natural reaction. You get in that fight or flight mindset, what is your body going to do in a live game. Robinson knows nothing by left side technique, he would def have his mess ups. 

I just know the issues you can have. I played right side my whole life growing up. Get to college and switched to the left side. Very tough situation but when I made it, it was done during the spring, so I had the chance to learn it

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

It’s nowhere near that hard. Instead of kick stepping with your left foot first, kick step with your right. Not groundbreaking.. 

Take you never played OL. Lot easier said and done. Yeah it’s an easy transition when you have the time but you and others are saying he could be the RT by week1. 

Robinson also has a hard enough time getting a consistent kick step. Now you want to switch his feet. 

To just say it’s only the feet, it’s the whole body 

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

feel like it should take a normal brained person 5 minutes to get used to it. 

It’s not about knowing what to do it, it’s literally the technique. Again Robinson has very inconsistent technique and now you want him to learn a new position and try and learn new technique. 

It’s great to know you have no idea what it takes to play OL. Or what it would take to go from LT and RT.

But please continue because it’s more than knowing the play and kicking your feet 

19 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

If you dont, you wind up with Cam Erving where his head was spinning by the time he left Cleveland because of how many different positions they tried to have him learn . He was also bad but the constant position changes every year Im sure did not help at all.

I have a bad feeling this might be Corbett's fate as well. Dorsey upgraded the QBs, WRs, RBs, DL, LBs, and secondary...I have a feeling next offseason is where we really address the OL. It should do the job this year, and Baker will make them look better than they are, but aside from Bit and Trett, all positions can use a bump up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

Take you never played OL. Lot easier said and done. Yeah it’s an easy transition when you have the time but you and others are saying he could be the RT by week1. 

Robinson also has a hard enough time getting a consistent kick step. Now you want to switch his feet. 

It’s not about knowing what to do it, it’s literally the technique. Again Robinson has very inconsistent technique and now you want him to learn a new position and try and learn new technique. 

It’s great to know you have no idea what it takes to play OL. Or what it would take to go from LT and RT.

But please continue because it’s more than knowing the play and kicking your feet 

I played fullback. I didn’t have trouble kicking out DEs on either side. You know why? Because it doesn’t matter. I did play OL my freshman year and it was easy to bounce between them. We switch our varsity OTs all the time and they’re fine where I coach. Literally zero difference. It’s not that hard dude. 

18 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I played fullback. I didn’t have trouble kicking out DEs on either side. You know why? Because it doesn’t matter. I did play OL my freshman year and it was easy to bounce between them. We switch our varsity OTs all the time and they’re fine where I coach. Literally zero difference. It’s not that hard dude. 

Not everyone has the same level of coordination, joe Thomas I bet could play either side no trouble, someone like robsinson struggles with either. 

5 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Not everyone has the same level of coordination, joe Thomas I bet could play either side no trouble, someone like robsinson struggles with either. 

Maybe, but I just think people acting like it's a crazy new concept are being dramatic. It's the same freaking thing. Maybe I'm crazy, but I've never noticed it being a problem with years of playing football and 12 years of coaching it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Maybe, but I just think people acting like it's a crazy new concept are being dramatic. It's the same freaking thing. Maybe I'm crazy, but I've never noticed it being a problem with years of playing football and 12 years of coaching it.

I tend to agree, I cant kick the ball that well, hornby could attest to it, but kicking with my left foot is much harder for me than my right foot.

Some people can kick off both feet, and pass with both hands, some people can do one side and some none. 

It wouldnt blow my mind if some people set their block better on the left or right side based on their coordination, and it would t blow my wind of some people like bitonio or joe thoma could play either side without difficulty.

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I tend to agree, I cant kick the ball that well, hornby could attest to it, but kicking with my left foot is much harder for me than my right foot.

Some people can kick off both feet, and pass with both hands, some people can do one side and some none. 

It wouldnt blow my mind if some people set their block better on the left or right side based on their coordination, and it would t blow my wind of some people like bitonio or joe thoma could play either side without difficulty.

Yeah I mean I was a ball carrier (Wing-T Fullback) and definitely would have rather carried the ball in my right arm than my left, but it didn't prevent me from being successful when I carried the ball on the other hand. I feel like it would feel uncomfortable at first, but he would quickly and almost immediately get used to doing it the other way around. Maybe Robinson is really dumb and couldn't handle the switch, but I've gotta believe that playing an easier position (RT) wouldn't be that big of an issue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

Speaking for my self I could hold just as well either right or left hand

2 Let are asssistant head coach and line coach get some time to get this line to work together

P.S congrats on the homer of the year award

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ok serious. Did they teach you that way? Did the coaches have you playing both sides a lot or repping it in practice? Did you switch varsity OTs with out practice and seeing them being able to play at both sides. 

IT IS NOT HARD TO SWITCH WHEN YOU LACK MAJOR EXPOSURE OR YOU HAVE TIME TO LEARN AND ADJUST! You act like we could make Robinson into a better RT than Hubbard and I call complete BS. It be better to  let him go than move position. Prolly the same thought process as the lions  

We are talking about Greg Robinson who has exclusively had played on the leftside for prolly a majority of his life. Dude is what 26 and has prolly been a LT prolly since peewee. 

Also kicking out a DE is nothing like playing OL, good try tho. Freshmen football, you just hope the OL knows the play. 

Also if it’s so easier to make the switch. The. Why did Coleman look so lost technique wise when they moved him back to LT after 3years at RT? 

You can’t just magically take any tackle and make him a swing tackle

Edited by buno67

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Shon Coleman that is out of the NFL? Probably because he sucks. At both.

Coleman only gets brought up because he was the last linemen the browns tried to make that switch with.  Also Coleman plays for the 49ers  

If Robinson shows that he shouldn’t play LT what makes you think he can play RT than?

you say it’s so easy to transition from one side to the other. What technique or skills will transition?

Edited by buno67

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Coleman only gets brought up because he was the last linemen the browns tried to make that switch with.  

You brought him up as if it were proof that LT's can't move to RT.

If Robinson shows that he shouldn’t play LT what makes you think he can play RT than?

Then*. And because it's easier to deal with pass rushers on the right side. You are often times playing next to a TE who can chip and double with you and you're typically not facing the speed freaks on the right side. It's easier.

you say it’s so easy to transition from one side to the other. What technique or skills will transition?

What technique or skills will transition? How about...all of them. You still kick step. You still down block. You still hand fight. You still reach block. You still base block and double team. It's literally the exact same thing just on the opposite side of the field.

Whatever. You win. I know nothing and it's impossible for a guy to play RT that has played LT most of his life.

• Like 1