Why?!

Tomahawk

9 minutes ago, braylon said:

I haven't been able to pay close attention in the preseason so far honestly because I live out of the state.. Has Greg been that bad?

Not a complete trainwreck but he has def. regressed back to the norm a little but more after playing over his head last year.

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

It's different, but unless you're stupid or slow mentally it's more or less the exact same thing. The blocking schemes stay exactly the same. You just have to kick step with your mental weight leaning to the right rather than to the left.

Using a basketball analogy, it might be hard to drive to your left and score on a consistent basis if you are used to driving and finishing with your right. However, playing OL is not nearly as difficult as that. It's basically defending someone driving to the right vs. them driving to the left. There aren't NBA players who can only defend players to one side. The same should go for the NFL with OT's.

The only reason LT is considered different is because there are more speed rushers on the weak side of your defense. So transitioning from LT to RT is not that different unless you have a mental disability...which Greg Robinson very may well have. But it's not like we're asking a left-handed hitter to all of a sudden switch to a right-handed hitter. Playing OT is universal and while some are better suited to play on the power side next to a TE (RT), it doesn't mean they can't figure out LT...and vice versa.

I hate the argument that it's that hard. You're telling me that if we told Joe Thomas to go play RT he couldn't easily figure it out? People get switched around all the time and it doesn't affect their games unless they're slow-footed and forced to move to the left side. But that's a physical deficiency rather than one that stems from inexperience on that side.

do you have any idea how hard it is because of muscle memory and techique? It be like telling a right handed batter, you are now going out there and become a left handed batter. Might not be hard for a guy who can switch but if you have been exclusive one way your whole like. Its damn near going to be hard and would take time to get it down.

Greg Robinson has played left tackle/left side, damn near prolly more than half his life. They prolly had him as left tackle in high school, he played left tackle at Auburn, and has played left side his whole NFL career. To go from left side to right side now, would be extremely tough

You say, guys get switched around all the time, but those guys have experience in it or have previously played the position.

Yeah if Joe Thomas played LT For 10+ years straight, I dont think he is going to magically turn into a great RT because his technique is going to drastically change. 

Maybe if they turned greg into a RT where he had all offseason to retrain his body, he maybe can do it but to do it now wouldnt even be worth it. you could prolly find a better RT than Greg Robinson being asked to switch. 

40 minutes ago, buno67 said:

do you have any idea how hard it is because of muscle memory and techique? It be like telling a right handed batter, you are now going out there and become a left handed batter. Might not be hard for a guy who can switch but if you have been exclusive one way your whole like. Its damn near going to be hard and would take time to get it down.

It’s nowhere near that hard. Instead of kick stepping with your left foot first, kick step with your right. Not groundbreaking. Especially nowhere near as difficult as switching your batting stance or learning to use your off hand in basketball. I think it’s harder for a LDE to switch to being a RDE more than it affects LT-RT. 

Greg Robinson has played left tackle/left side, damn near prolly more than half his life. They prolly had him as left tackle in high school, he played left tackle at Auburn, and has played left side his whole NFL career. To go from left side to right side now, would be extremely tough

From most accounts Robinson is slow mentally. So maybe he couldn’t get it, but if you’re good at LT you’re good at RT 99% of the time. 

You say, guys get switched around all the time, but those guys have experience in it or have previously played the position.

I feel like it should take a normal brained person 5 minutes to get used to it. 

Yeah if Joe Thomas played LT For 10+ years straight, I dont think he is going to magically turn into a great RT because his technique is going to drastically change.

You’re telling me Jesus Christ can’t hit a curveball? Joe Thomas would be fine on the right side and could learn it in 10 seconds. 

Maybe if they turned greg into a RT where he had all offseason to retrain his body, he maybe can do it but to do it now wouldnt even be worth it. you could prolly find a better RT than Greg Robinson being asked to switch. 

I just don’t agree with you on this. It shouldn’t be a problem for anyone with a normal capacity to learn. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, buno67 said:

The transition to RT for a player who has never played RT wouldn’t be easy at all. 

Granted I didn't play at a professional level, but I was plug and played all over the line as needed.  I was primarily a DE, and long snapper, but if someone got hurt, I was able to step in at any position on the line.  The process is the same just reversed, and your hand techniques aren't changing much.  

Just now, Tomahawk said:

Granted I didn't play at a professional level, but I was plug and played all over the line as needed.  I was primarily a DE, and long snapper, but if someone got hurt, I was able to step in at any position on the line.  The process is the same just reversed, and your hand techniques aren't changing much.  

I’m surprised Dorsey didn’t give you a call on draft day.

• Like 1

If we try to do lots of power formations with our O-line, I think we're in trouble.  Our starting 5 is just not that strong at the POA (Bitonio is good at it, Tretter is pretty good at it).  The other 3 don't get much push, but they're all decent on the move (Robinson and Hubbard both lose balance more often than desired).

I'm just hoping Monken's scheme will hide the weaknesses of the O-line.  That's what we did last year with so much max protect stuff, but I don't think we'll do that as much this year due to the changes in our skill positions.

O-line is one of our weakest links, for sure.  I don't think it will keep us from having a good/great offense, but it will rear its ugly head as a problem from time to time.

• Like 2

Greg Robinson had one slightly rough game in the 3rd preseason.....I myself am not worried....

I think we are all suffering from Joe Thomas syndrome, because our QB was basically protected on a Different level for 10 seasons....without a missed snap until his final season. I think  with what he showed last year, and what he showed in training came going against not only Myles, but G.Avery and Vet Chris Smith, and working under James Campen...I think he is going to be alright. Greg Robinson has the Tools to get it done, he is the most physically gifted LT to come out in the last 8-10 years.

• Like 1