Why?!

Tomahawk

12 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

You brought him up as if it were proof that LT's can't move to RT.

Then*. And because it's easier to deal with pass rushers on the right side. You are often times playing next to a TE who can chip and double with you and you're typically not facing the speed freaks on the right side. It's easier.

What technique or skills will transition? How about...all of them. You still kick step. You still down block. You still hand fight. You still reach block. You still base block and double team. It's literally the exact same thing just on the opposite side of the field.

Whatever. You win. I know nothing and it's impossible for a guy to play RT that has played LT most of his life.

its than* since im talking about comparison purposes. 

yet robinson struggles at taking consistent kick steps, what makes you think making him switch his feet up improves that? Greg Robinson is absolute Garbage at hand fighting, hence why in 8 games last year, he got called for 10 holding penalities. It was a point to try and get you to point out what skills or technique Robinson excels at that actually makes him worth it to move to right tackle. 

did I say it was impossible, yeah if you want to make Robinson the starting RT by week1. Never said it was impossible if you actually gave the guy proper timing to actually develop the muscle memory to actually be able to properly function at the position. Something that would take more than 2 weeks. 

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I played fullback. I didn’t have trouble kicking out DEs on either side. You know why? Because it doesn’t matter. I did play OL my freshman year and it was easy to bounce between them. We switch our varsity OTs all the time and they’re fine where I coach. Literally zero difference. It’s not that hard dude. 

I played wr in high school. I had zero problem playing right, left, slot or wherever they wanted me to line up. 

Bones proven wrong again!

• Like 1

I hate to admit it, but I agree with buno.  At least a little bit.

* And since we’re qualifying our opinions by stating the positions we played in high school 10-20 years ago, I played tackle on offense.

My sophomore year our offense had OL flip based on call (“strong side” vs “quick side”, strong side typically had the TE inline and the quick side did a lot more pulling, anyway...) and flipping sides does take some getting used to for the exact reasons he’s mentioning, such as muscle memory.  After that I just played LT and it was easier to improve technique, etc.

Kick/slide steps, pulling, just footwork in general is all backwards, it’s not just “do the same thing the other direction”, at least not right away.  

Can people switch back and forth?  Sure.  Is it an immediate plug and play?   Probably not, especially if they’ve NEVER played on the right side before, it’ll probably take some time to get the technique and footwork down and fluid.

6 hours ago, dawgdish said:

I have a bad feeling this might be Corbett's fate as well. Dorsey upgraded the QBs, WRs, RBs, DL, LBs, and secondary...I have a feeling next offseason is where we really address the OL. It should do the job this year, and Baker will make them look better than they are, but aside from Bit and Trett, all positions can use a bump up.

For it to work this year Kitchens is going to have to scheme his way around it like he did in the 2nd half last season. Lots of RPO, motion, sweeps to keep the defense on their toes and not just coming straight downhill at a base formation. The preseason has been basic offense from what I could tell with no bells or whistles and the o-line got eaten alive head to head.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

For it to work this year Kitchens is going to have to scheme his way around it like he did in the 2nd half last season. Lots of RPO, motion, sweeps to keep the defense on their toes and not just coming straight downhill at a base formation. The preseason has been basic offense from what I could tell with no bells or whistles and the o-line got eaten alive head to head.

well it helps that the Browns have spent all preseason without their 2 best WR options. limited snaps from Njoku. Its like Baker has been passing to the 2015 Browns skill players.

I think things will change once the seasons starts and the offense is running on all cylinders. The 4th/5th/6th/7th WRs have struggled to get open. I want to see what the offense looks like when you can throw hot to OBJ and Jarvis and Hollywood is in the slot with NJoku running seam routes. 

Baker cant get sacked if he knows where to throw it right off the bat. Week1, he will have the WRs who can recognize that and be open right off the bat

16 hours ago, buno67 said:

Plug and play on the defense line is completely different. Also like you said, you did it all the time, so you were use to it. Robinson has played LT his whole life basically. Again if he had all offseason to transition but you are acting like he could be the starter at RT by week one.

I just know the issues you can have. I played right side my whole life growing up. Get to college and switched to the left side. Very tough situation but when I made it, it was done during the spring, so I had the chance to learn it

I was plug and play on the offensive line, not defense.  I strictly played ILB peewee/freshmen year, and then DE after my growth spurt in regards to defense.

I am well aware of the nuances that are different.  But Robinson has ****ty hand work, as well as lacks the agility and footwork to be a good LT.    Most of being a good left tackle is speed off the ball, and body placement.  If you can master those 2 things, the hands "should come".  They haven't for Robinson which is why I think he needs to go.  

I don't know that the Browns want to cut Robinson, which is why I suggested swinging him to the right side.  There would be no reason to force that by week one.  He could stay the backup LT while learning to potentially take over for Hubbard if he continue to digress.  

But yeah, Im all for out right cutting the dude and saving the $6ish mill instead of making an crap load of changes to the line.  The blind side is the most important for pass protection, and if you solidify that, and Baker only needs to worry about the right side rush, we would be in a much better place. 

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

well it helps that the Browns have spent all preseason without their 2 best WR options. limited snaps from Njoku. Its like Baker has been passing to the 2015 Browns skill players.

I think things will change once the seasons starts and the offense is running on all cylinders. The 4th/5th/6th/7th WRs have struggled to get open. I want to see what the offense looks like when you can throw hot to OBJ and Jarvis and Hollywood is in the slot with NJoku running seam routes. 

Baker cant get sacked if he knows where to throw it right off the bat. Week1, he will have the WRs who can recognize that and be open right off the bat

I agree whole heartedly with this in regards to the passing game.  He is having to hold the ball a lot longer than he did last season.   But it still doesn't mean we shouldn't do everything in our power to better the line that protects him.  Scheming to make up for poor line play isn't going to win the division. 

4 hours ago, Tomahawk said:

I agree whole heartedly with this in regards to the passing game.  He is having to hold the ball a lot longer than he did last season.   But it still doesn't mean we shouldn't do everything in our power to better the line that protects him.  Scheming to make up for poor line play isn't going to win the division. 

Scheme helped the OL last year.

i also doubt we will pass as much like we did last week. Seems like they were game planning to see what the back end of the WR room can do. 

I would also hope they were running Just your basic blocking schemes so nothing is shown in the preseason 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

You think OL was the reason we didn't win the division last year?

I think it played a large part in the tie to the steelers and loss to the Saints in the first 2 games.  

However had we won those we likely wouldn't have fired Hue.  So I can't say yes with a certainty.