Why?!

Tomahawk

32 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

My bad.  The Rams had him in training camp playing RT prior to trading him to the Lions.  So you are correct, he has never played RT.  However that was where he was supposed to be brought in for originally as a back up to our RT.   His speed is why he sucks at LT and the transition to RT would be easy.

Though I agree, if we traded for someone, we'd likely cut him to save cap space only $500,000 I think is guaranteed of his 9 mill or whatever it is. 

I’d be willing to guess a switch to RT is something a team that took him as high as they did thought of before trading him for peanuts. 

31 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Man, one rough preseason game and the alarm bells sound. 

😂 

Yeah.  When your QB1 is running for his life the whole game, it's time to sound the alarm.

28 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Outside of Trent Williams there aren’t any realistic upgrades. 

Laremy Tunsil with the Dolphins fire sale going on.  But Williams would be the obvious no brainer.  Call up Dan Snyder and offer him next years 2 and Greg Robinson for him.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No Juice, no OBJ, basic gameplay, etc.

It’s preseason.

That's fine for part of the reason the offense sputtered.  But that had little bearing on the fact that Baker was being forced to scramble almost immediately on every play.

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

No Chubb no njoku no scheming for opponent 

Again.... Those are fine excuses for the offense sputtering.  The fact that the line was man handled by one of the worst defensive fronts in the NFL tells me there is more than a RG issue with the line.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tomahawk said:

My bad.  The Rams had him in training camp playing RT prior to trading him to the Lions.  So you are correct, he has never played RT.  However that was where he was supposed to be brought in for originally as a back up to our RT.   His speed is why he sucks at LT and the transition to RT would be easy.

Though I agree, if we traded for someone, we'd likely cut him to save cap space only $500,000 I think is guaranteed of his 9 mill or whatever it is. 

The transition to RT for a player who has never played RT wouldn’t be easy at all. 

9 hours ago, Tomahawk said:

If we fix the LT, the entire left side to center is good.  You can swing Robinson over to RT and bring Hubbard into right guard where he belongs. 

Its a shame that the have to make position changes 2 weeks before the season starts.

With how strong defenses are in the NFL, competent offensive linemen are in a huge demand--I dont know how many teams are going to looking to get rid of good offensive line players but if there are any, Im sure it will come at a steep price tag.

15 minutes ago, buno67 said:

The transition to RT for a player who has never played RT wouldn’t be easy at all. 

It's different, but unless you're stupid or slow mentally it's more or less the exact same thing. The blocking schemes stay exactly the same. You just have to kick step with your mental weight leaning to the right rather than to the left.

Using a basketball analogy, it might be hard to drive to your left and score on a consistent basis if you are used to driving and finishing with your right. However, playing OL is not nearly as difficult as that. It's basically defending someone driving to the right vs. them driving to the left. There aren't NBA players who can only defend players to one side. The same should go for the NFL with OT's.

The only reason LT is considered different is because there are more speed rushers on the weak side of your defense. So transitioning from LT to RT is not that different unless you have a mental disability...which Greg Robinson very may well have. But it's not like we're asking a left-handed hitter to all of a sudden switch to a right-handed hitter. Playing OT is universal and while some are better suited to play on the power side next to a TE (RT), it doesn't mean they can't figure out LT...and vice versa.

I hate the argument that it's that hard. You're telling me that if we told Joe Thomas to go play RT he couldn't easily figure it out? People get switched around all the time and it doesn't affect their games unless they're slow-footed and forced to move to the left side. But that's a physical deficiency rather than one that stems from inexperience on that side.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

With how strong defenses are in the NFL, competent offensive linemen are in a huge demand--I dont know how many teams are going to looking to get rid of good offensive line players but if there are any, Im sure it will come at a steep price tag.

Exactly. Nobody is parting ways with quality OL right now unless they're demanding a trade or a team is in the midst of a fire sale. Also, nobody has an abundance of OL talent and even if they do, they'll hoard it as long as they can.

Nothing can derail a team quite like having a terrible OL. For what it's worth, I don't think our OL is terrible. I think our RG and RT are simply "bad." 

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

It's different, but unless you're stupid or slow mentally it's more or less the exact same thing. The blocking schemes stay exactly the same. You just have to kick step with your mental weight leaning to the right rather than to the left.

Using a basketball analogy, it might be hard to drive to your left and score on a consistent basis if you are used to driving and finishing with your right. However, playing OL is not nearly as difficult as that. It's basically defending someone driving to the right vs. them driving to the left. There aren't NBA players who can only defend players to one side. The same should go for the NFL with OT's.

The only reason LT is considered different is because there are more speed rushers on the weak side of your defense. So transitioning from LT to RT is not that different unless you have a mental disability...which Greg Robinson very may well have. But it's not like we're asking a left-handed hitter to all of a sudden switch to a right-handed hitter. Playing OT is universal and while some are better suited to play on the power side next to a TE (RT), it doesn't mean they can't figure out LT...and vice versa.

I hate the argument that it's that hard. You're telling me that if we told Joe Thomas to go play RT he couldn't easily figure it out? People get switched around all the time and it doesn't affect their games unless they're slow-footed and forced to move to the left side. But that's a physical deficiency rather than one that stems from inexperience on that side.

I dont think its a huge deal, but the problem is that it becomes a huge deal when you have been having practices and games for the past two months and now have to make that change right before the season starts. If a offensive linemen is capable, like Joel Bitonio showed last year, it is going to take them a offseason of reps for a clean transition. The Browns dug themselves a hole by not recognizing the problem in TC and are now trying to study last min and pass the exam

If you dont, you wind up with Cam Erving where his head was spinning by the time he left Cleveland because of how many different positions they tried to have him learn . He was also bad but the constant position changes every year Im sure did not help at all.