Better prospect: Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence

Elky

Who was the better prospect?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Luck or Lawrence

• Andrew Luck
    • Trevor Lawrence

13 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Best quarterback prospects since I started paying attention over eleven years ago:

1. DeShaun Watson

2. Tua Tagovailoa

3. Matt Ryan

4. Andrew Luck

5. Carson Wentz

6. Baker Mayfield

7. Cam Newton

8. Jake Fromm

9. Joe Flacco

10. Patrick Mahomes

For me it was:

0/1*. Trevor Lawrence
1. Luck
2. Mariota (unfortunately)
3. Wentz
4. Darnold
5. Matthew Stafford
6. Sam Bradford
7. Tua Tagovailoa
8. Matt Ryan
9. Justin Herbert
10. RG3

*not Eligible in this upcoming draft so not officially including him yet.

Dole, your list sorta looks like revisionist history to me frankly.

Edited by Danger

My question is how would have Lawrence did at Stanford with lesser talent?, IMO he is good but he also benefits from having the best at every position as well as having an elite defense at his disposal. Could Lawrence have done the same when his only legit threat was Ty Montgomery?

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

My question is how would have Lawrence did at Stanford with lesser talent?, IMO he is good but he also benefits from having the best at every position as well as having an elite defense at his disposal. Could Lawrence have done the same when his only legit threat was Ty Montgomery?

Watch the NCG cut that @CalhounLambeau has on YouTube, Lawrence is the real deal. Yeah his guys made plays, but he was always making plays himself. His poise and accuracy (aside from short accuracy) are unreal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Very true and helps having Justyn Ross on your team a potential top 5 pick in 2021 possibly, but Lawrence made Ross look good also.  Think that Clemson offense would have been as successful with Chase Brice as the QB?  If Stanford had Lawrence right now on that football team they would be pissing their pants and there would be way more hype on the program than there is now without a talent like him on the roster.

Sure he would not have been as productive on Stanford but he would be very good on Stanford and help that team as much as he helps that Clemson offense.  Kelly Bryant left for a reason, was not a great QB but clearly knew he was never going to see the field again on that team.

Looking back on it that Stanford team in 2009 with Andrew Luck they had Doug Baldwin, Toby Gehart, David DeCastro, Jonathan Martin, Ryan Whalen, Colby Fleener, Owen Marecic, Derek Hall, Jim Dray,  Chris Owusu, Stephan Taylor etc.  So they were not exactly awful and they had a decent defense as well so I am sure Lawrence would have done just fine with all them, tough run game and a good OL and D.  Ty Montgomery did not come till 2011 his final year at Stanford.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Watch the NCG cut that @CalhounLambeau has on YouTube, Lawrence is the real deal. Yeah his guys made plays, but he was always making plays himself. His poise and accuracy (aside from short accuracy) are unreal.

Never said he wasn't but can he do the same thing in a different environment with lesser talent, its easy to shine when you are surrounded by studs. I guess the thing is, I see the talent, but Luck's talent was more evident because of the lack of talent around him, I personally would love to see if he could do this at a lesser school with lesser talent

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

How in the world is this even a question and how in the world is Andrew Luck winning this poll?  Did Andrew Luck beat a dominating Alabama team in the National Championship game his freshman year?  No.

It's a team sport, etc etc.

While it doesn't take away from TLaw's performances, he has had arguably more talent around him in one year than Luck ever did. 

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

It's a team sport, etc etc.

While it doesn't take away from TLaw's performances, he has had arguably more talent around him in one year than Luck ever did. 

Yes but could totally argue Luck his freshman year and beyond had a better offensive line and had easily better tight ends.  Stanford would poop their pants if they had Lawrence on that team or the team they have now.  PS Peyton Manning played with a freaking stacked Tennessee team back in the day, anyone have issues with that?  Andrew Luck was a great talent but after year one, yeah give me Lawrence as a prospect over him, the fact this is even a conversation is only because Lawrence has only played one year.  Also helps Luck just retired and people sympathize with him a little more.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

For me it was:

0/1*. Trevor Lawrence
1. Luck
2. Mariota (unfortunately)
3. Wentz
4. Darnold
5. Matthew Stafford
6. Sam Bradford
7. Tua Tagovailoa
8. Matt Ryan
9. Justin Herbert
10. RG3

*not Eligible in this upcoming draft so not officially including him yet.

I agree totally with that top part, sure could change if Lawrence is awful this year but I seriously doubt it.  This is how I would rank him right now on the best QB prospects I have seen list without his career being over yet in college.  And sure Tua might be on this list also but his injury history is a concern as is his play late last season especially in that title game.  See how he rebounds off that and how he looks this year.  Patrick Mahomes is no where near this list for me because I felt he was too much of a product of an Air Raid system coming out that before then has produced little to zero NFL elite level talent at QB, now that has changed and almost every QB in the league comes from a wide open spread passing system with zone read action etc.  And the rules in the NFL make playing QB a hell of a lot easier than it was 15-20 years ago.  

Peyton Manning
Trevor Lawrence
Andrew Luck
Mike Vick
Jameis Winston
Eli Manning
Cam Newton
Drew Brees
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
Byron Leftwitch
Carson Palmer

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Luck was the biggest prospect since Manning, wasn't he? Remember the stuff written about him and the hype etc (justified or not). He was the hottest property ever at the time.

Jameis Winston, Johnny Manziel, Mike Vick and Sam Bradford were all RS freshman players if I am correct and all were the starter from day one I believe.  To me it is far more impressive what Lawrence did since he was a true freshman, basically who has done something similar at QB as a true freshman.  And are people just assuming he will automatically digress and not improve with more experience?

Trevor Lawrence did not even start the first two games, played a little, and shared time with Kelly Bryant the next two games after that, then the Syracuse game he was the starter and got hurt and did not finish it.  Then was the starter for the next 10 I believe.  So the first 5 including when he got hurt he was either sharing time or not the starter and just played as a backup and still had as much success as he did.

Do people like not watch college football or what?  This question will not be a question anymore after this season is over.

11 hours ago, Danger said:

Of course. Mason Rudolph is in there instead of Mahomes. But I don't/didn't buy the hype for many of the big names. Matthew Stafford, Jared Goff, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, RGIII, Sam Bradford, Jake Locker, Sam Darnold, ect. Heck, I thought Andrew Luck was an overrated prospect, (but still clearly a no brainer for the Colts #1).

I like Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins a lot, as well as Jalen Hurts quite a bit too. But I don't put them in that top ten.

How is it revisionist though if I have guys who aren't even in the NFL yet? Wentz, Ryan, Watson, Tua, Flacco, Fromm, and pretty much Luck too I have always had an eye out for. Newton, Mayfield, and Mahomes won me over. Baker and Cam I knew would be first overall and likely develop into good starting QB's so my projection was based on that heading into the draft. The only revisionist inclusion on my top ten could be Patrick Mahomes because I didn't really focus on him until after I knew Andy Reid and Alex Smith would be mentoring him up. Rather than Mahomes on my list at #10 or whatever he was, it would probably be Mason Rudolph. Like I said, this is going back eleven years and including the upcoming draft that would be twelve drafts.

There were plenty of others I didn't care for as far as hype. Colin Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, Christian Ponder, Ryan Tannehill, Tim Tebow, Brandon Weeden, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Brian Brohm, Teddy Bridgewater, Blaine Gabbert, Paxton Lynch, (et cetera), Jimmy Garoppolo, all seemed like "busts" waiting to happen to me.

In general, I think I have an eye for talent even if there have been some misses. But then again, Johnny Manziel, Jimmy Clausen, Mark Sanchez, and to a limited extent Blake Bortles also caught my eye. I saw a lot more in Russell Wilson than most however and when it comes to the first round I get way more right than wrong. In fact, most often I think I'm right. Roughly 80% of the time.

As far Trevor Lawrence, I think he is way overrated even though he flashes a lot of strong traits. As a freshman, he is not "pro ready" like people talk him up to be. Not even close. Pro back-up ready, maybe.

Edited by DoleINGout