TNF: Chiefs vs. Patriots (Opening Day!!!)

TheVillain112

Poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Patriots
    • Chiefs

7 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

*Lots of context regarding Chandler Jones.*

4 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

The Chandler Jones trade was bad.

Welp, can't argue with that analysis. 

EDIT: And yes. Deatrich Wise was getting some pressure too.

15 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Chandler Jones' stint in New England was miles and miles of inconsistencies. He would be great until Week 6, then he would sustain an injury, play through it, show flashes for the remainder of the season, and then disappear in the playoffs. Add that into his incident before the super bowl, and it's pretty easy to see why he wasn't getting a mega deal from this team. The fact that the team has failed to address the position, doesn't mean they should've given a player a lucrative contract that he hasn't played up to at that point. 

As for Gilmore, I'll reserve judgement. Week 1 in a new system, miscommunications happen.

Exactly. Every year same thing. He was awesome in the beginning, then just vanishes midway through the season. 

Also the Gilmore signing has nothing to do with Jones so I don't know why it was brought up. I wish kept Collins maybe, but that's about it. Neither effected the Gilmore signing.

Your context was just false statements, yes he had that off the field issue. It was still stupid to refuse to fairly pay a young, top tier pass rusher only to turn around and overpay for Stephon Gilmore. 

He also looked considerably better in the playoffs in 2014 and 2015. I didn't hate the trade when it happened but I really wish we hadn't done it right now. Flowers and Jones would be a great combo.

Just now, lancerman said:

Exactly. Every year same thing. He was awesome in the beginning, then just vanishes midway through the season. 

Also the Gilmore signing has nothing to do with Jones so I don't know why it was brought up. I wish kept Collins maybe, but that's about it. Neither effected the Gilmore signing.

Jones was a money concern, they didn't want to pay him big money but they'll turn around and give Gilmore huge money coming off a crap year. Makes no sense.

Just now, MookieMonster said:

Jones was a money concern, they didn't want to pay him big money but they'll turn around and give Gilmore huge money coming off a crap year. Makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense when you are a team competing for a Super Bowl and the guy who is looking to gobble up alot of cap vanishes midway through the season and is interchangeable with virtually everyone on the team. We all knew we'd have to make defensive decisions last year between Collins, Jones, Hightower, and Butler. Almost everyone assumed Jones would not be on the team this year. We got rid of him early and won a Super Bowl anyways, so in the end it didn't matter. We kept the two more important positions in Hightower and Butler. Collins was a far bigger questionmark than Jones ever was. 

We signed Gilmore because we had the money to sign him and it helps our secondary which prior to 2013 was a point of weakness that likely cost us potential Super Bowl's in 09, 10, 11, and 12.

Jones was not going to be here this year. His cost didn't match his value when you consider his decline over the stretch of a season and how the latter part matters more to us than the first few weeks.

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

The hardest thing for most fans to accept is when an ugly mutt turns into an attack dog.

Norm Hizgis, ESPN

It's actually the opposite. Most fans will be very willing to accept a flashy offense like the steelers or raiders being "attack dogs" and then ignore the warning signs on defense and special teams. But when it's a far more balanced team like the Chiefs it gets underrated even though they have arguably the best roster with the least weakness in it. Like yes Carr's injury did kill the Raiders chances of winning the division, but there was a reason why it the Raiders weren't running away with the division, and it was because the Chiefs exist. 

Also on a side not they are the perfect team to play the Patriots. Good coach, QB who is solid and makes few mistakes (helps that he can do some light scrambling), a solid offensive line, an impact TE that causes some mismatches, now a solid RB who can catch out of the backfield, and a defense that does the same bend but don't break the Patriots have. They are basically the same freaking team except Belichick is better the Reid and he doesn't have as many brain farts as him, Brady is more explosive and can dominate a game in a way Smith can't, Gronk is better than Kelce, and they have the better offensive line coach. The Patriots have the better secondary, the Cheifs have the better run stop. 

The biggest baffling thing tonight was we went for it 3 times on 4th and 1 and never did the sneak even though it would have worked alot better because of the formation the Chiefs were showing, I wonder if they feared running Brady. Convert even two of those, the outcome could be different.

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

You do realize KC doesn't have a bad offense right? 

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

The hardest thing for most fans to accept is when an ugly mutt turns into an attack dog.

Norm Hizgis, ESPN

I will concede they don't have a bad offense, but they are by no means an attack dog ?.  They are average to slightly above average at best.  My guess is you won't see many offensive performances LIKE THAT from them again this year.  550 yards of offense is just pathetic to give up from a defensive standpoint, even to the most elite offenses (which KC is not).  Face it NE fans, no way to sugarcoat your dumpster fire of a defense.  

GB fans have had to deal with this level of ineptitude from it's defenses multiple time in recent years, including last year.  Gear up NE, your in for a long season!

Ok. I just saw the second half unspoiled. I wish I had stayed to see it live with everyone else to talk about it. That has to be arguably the best opener for TNF since they started doing them. A lot to talk about as everyone already has I'm sure. My takes:

- Kareem Hunt was marvelous. He looked like Marshall Faulk on his best day on there. To have that kind of day as a rookie in his first game after fumbling on his first official carry is amazing. He's so fast. Looked like a video game out there. I'm guessing the Raiders, Chargers, and Broncos just clenched up real tight after what they saw. 

- Alex Smith had one of his top three games ever. I was surprised and impressed. The other two games I can think of where he was great were the playoff game against New Orleans and the playoff game against the Colts. Except in this game he was on the money for all four quarters. And pushed the rock down the filed. Those have been my two biggest complaints of Smith his entire career. Doesn't push the ball down the field enough and never plays lights out the entire game. Probably won't play like this every week, but if he could at least break his old conservative habits Mahommes will be on the bench longer than anticipated.

- The Chiefs had a miserable 3rd quarter after that Tyreek Hill TD seemed to give them the momentum. I think the Kelice taunting penalty was in the third along with the two PI calls on Mitchell. Never the less they came up with that big stop on 4th down (again) and just seem to claw their way back into it. The defense came to life especially in the fourth. 

- DId not think the Patriots would miss Edelman this badly. Just the first week, but they clearly could have used his help.

- Even with all of the offensive fireworks the Chiefs had, I still think my favorite play of the game might be one of two defensive plays. The stop by Justin Houston on the second 4th down try by the Patriots and/or that long deflected pass by Mitchell on Cooks when Brady chucked it deep on a third down. Cooks had already got him for two PI calls earlier, and it was dope for Mitchell to get some semblance of revenge. 

Great start to the season. :)

5 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Your context was just false statements, yes he had that off the field issue. It was still stupid to refuse to fairly pay a young, top tier pass rusher only to turn around and overpay for Stephon Gilmore. 

He also looked considerably better in the playoffs in 2014 and 2015. I didn't hate the trade when it happened but I really wish we hadn't done it right now. Flowers and Jones would be a great combo.

False statements? 

In 4 years on the team, he has 13 tackles and 1 sack in the playoffs. That's 9 games for this team. 

In 4 years on the team, he's got 7.5 sacks from Week 10 onwards. That's out of 36 total. 

His average throughout his time here was 9 sacks a year. Hardly a "top tier pass rusher". He was never apart of the Watt, Miller, Houston category. 

2012, hurt his ankle, couldn't stay on the field. 2014, hip injury. The guy played hurt and deserves credit for toughness, but at the end of the day, he was a shell of himself at many points. Then there's the incident he had with the drugs.

But sure, these are all just "false statements".

2 minutes ago, Uppi32 said:

Face it NE fans, no way to sugarcoat your dumpster fire of a defense. 

I mean, it's Week 1. 

Plus, if you can say the defense played poorly last night, thus they are a dumpster fire, then logically you have to say that KC's offense is elite, because they lit it up. Neither of those extreme statements are smart to make after one game. 

Archived