TNF: Chiefs vs. Patriots (Opening Day!!!)

TheVillain112

Poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Patriots
    • Chiefs

9 minutes ago, Avin1973 said:

Went sleep after half time... did I wake in an alternative reality? 21 unanswered points at 4th at Foxoboro??? What?

The Patriots should bounce back, and be in the mix for the AFC title. But this hype about 16-0 was silly, I never understood that reasoning, when you looked at the roster.  The Pats barely won the SB, yet folks were hyping offseason acquisitions  way too much. And this idea Tom Brady can play as long as he wants is ridiculous, age wins out every time. Sometimes, the decline is slow, sometimes not. When the core of the success is generated so much by one player, this is the downside.

7 hours ago, Uppi32 said:

Pats fans right now in full denial.....

Tom Brady appears to be playing with a Swiss cheese defense year.  Going to be such an enjoyable year.  The madden curse is undefeated ?

I'd be more concerned if this weren't literally what happened in 2014. KC is still one of the more complete teams in the league. Week one they got torn up by a running back they didn't expect with most of their strength in the secondary, then a couple weeks later this exact team stretched them thin and their defense made big stops that cut the momentum down. 

This is almost exactly the same situation. What will likely happen is this. The defense will start to tighten up in mid October, like it does every year and they won't be surprised by a player like Hunt going off (the game plan was obviously to shut down Kelce, which they were doing pretty well for awhile, and Hunt was a revelation), the offense will be more fine tuned after adjusting more to the loss of Edelman. Oh and Scarnechia will get the offensive line playing better in short yard run situations where they got mauled all night. 

Its literally the same thing that happened two years ago 

Thoughts on the game

• Who is going to be the back-up who steps up? The Patriots have made a killing on this for a long time, so who is going to be that player this year, in particular, who is going to step-up as a pass rusher.
  • The Patriots offense is still going to be good, but how well will it play from behind. Tied into the first one, but with no Edelman and with Amendola getting a concussion, they are very thin at WR they need to get Dorsett up to speed fast.
  • The Chiefs offense is going to be dynamic. Hill, Kelce, and Hunt are going to force Andy Reid to open up that offense and it is going to be really fun to watch.
  • If Berry did tear his Achilles, how good will that defense be? The Patriots have a good offensive line and Brady often gets the ball out of his hands quickly, but there wasn't much pass rush. Berry did a lot last night and losing him would be huge.

23 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I'd be more concerned if this weren't literally what happened in 2014. KC is still one of the more complete teams in the league. Week one they got torn up by a running back they didn't expect with most of their strength in the secondary, then a couple weeks later this exact team stretched them thin and their defense made big stops that cut the momentum down. 

This is almost exactly the same situation. What will likely happen is this. The defense will start to tighten up in mid October, like it does every year and they won't be surprised by a player like Hunt going off (the game plan was obviously to shut down Kelce, which they were doing pretty well for awhile, and Hunt was a revelation), the offense will be more fine tuned after adjusting more to the loss of Edelman. Oh and Scarnechia will get the offensive line playing better in short yard run situations where they got mauled all night. 

Its literally the same thing that happened two years ago 

I agree with you about the offense wholeheartedly getting it together. But scheming can only do so much. I would be worried about that defense. It didn't look like an off night as much as they just looked untalented. I know the thought was that the front 7 would have issues but they just look devoid of talent in the front 7 right now. 

I'll give BB a lot of credit if he can make this defense any better than average this year with that front 7.  I had to go back and take a look at the 2014 game and it is strikingly similar so who knows. 

Not worried at all about the offense. We looked unstoppable for 20 minutes. The scheme and gameplan was alien to what I expected; instead of using our trusted quick passing game, we were bombing downfield 3 times a drive. Madness. 

Front 7 though. Looks meek apart from Hightower. 

Archived