2019 Week 1 Packers @ Bears Game Week discussion

boratt

BEARS OFFENSE VS PACKERS DEFENSE

Greatest strength: Offensive line. Big, experienced group in their second year running coach Nagy's offense. They don't have a true weak link and have a couple really good players.

Running back: They have a couple smaller guys and a rookie who's trying to adapt to an offense where every starter is in their second year. I expect to see more Cohen than anyone else on week one of the NFL season due to him being so much more up to speed with the rest of the veteran unit. By seasons end, this could be very different.

Tight End: Trey Burton. I'm definitely not going to spend any time knocking him. We'll be incredibly happy if Tonyan has the career Burton has had so far. He's short, smallish, but fast. There is no way Chicago is feeling good about running strong side against any of the Packers OLBs other than Fackrell who's not going to be playing much on 1st or 2nd down. He's a speed mismatch against any of our OLBs, but his lack of height makes him a fairly good matchup for any of our secondary players or Greene in his hybrid role. 

WR: Tallest guy who's gonna play much is Robinson at 6'2". All three guys, plus the TE are familiar with Nagy's offense as they're in their second year. I'm not overly impressed with any of them, but Robinson is their best player and kind of a poor mans Davante. The other two are small guys. Chicago's run game is limited by the one dimensional smallish skill players. I expect more runs to be weakside with Robinson isolated on that side. That puts their best blockers in position to succeed in the run game. In the pass game, I expect them to try to pick apart the interior of our defense. Amos is new to the defense. Savage is a rookie. Greene is unproven. Chicago has speed and experience at the boundary skill positions so I do expect them to test the interior of our defense. Inside, Martinez, Tramon, Greene and Amos are going to have to come together and help the rookie along. Communication and preparation are going to be key. I expect Alexander and King to lock down the outside. And I do think there is enough veteran experience inside to set the defense and be ready to be attacked inside. 

QB: Trubisky is in a very important year in his development. Second year with Nagy. His entire starting offense is in their second year together. Nagy should be able to put more on Trubiskys plate as far as subtlties and adjustments. I HOPE that Nagy and Trubisky get a little too slick and try to show how smart they are instead of just playing sound football. We have a chance to capitalize on some of their own self errors as they try to show how far they've come and push that envelope too far. Worst case, they balance it perfectly and pick us apart. But I don't expect our fortified pass rush and speed on the outside to make it so easy on them. 

SUMMARY: The Packers defense and the Bears offense are both in their second years. The weak spot of the Packers defense on game one is the newness of Amos, the rookie status of Savage and the unproven quality of Raven Greene at hybrid LB. The Bears look to run weakside, away from their small skill players and to attack the potential soft spots in our pass defense. Blake Martinez getting guys lined up and communicating checks is going to be absolutely key. Our DL and edge players playing sound football, particularly on the weak side of their offense is going to be another key. I see the Packers defense having an edge against the Bears one dimensional skill players and I think they have just enough experience in just enough of the right places to slow down and often times stop the Bears offense. 

EDGE GOES TO PACKERS DEFENSE based on talent up front, speed on the outside and just enough experience inside for a guy like Trubisky to not truly be a threat to expose. Great QBs will be a much harder matchup for the Packers going forward unless the interior pass defense stays healthy and really gels together. Luckily thats not our matchup on week 1. It's Trubisky. Then Cousins. A good start.

PACKERS OFFENSE VS BEARS DEFENSE

Greatest Strength: Packers QB and experience along the offensive line. Lafleur couldn't ask for a more savvy, experienced bunch up front and at QB to counter whatever the Bears might dream up to confuse or attack. No team in the league has more experience in these two key areas of adjusting to defenses than the Green Bay Packers. I would just say Aaron Rodgers, but its compounded when he has that veteran OL to play with. 

Offensive Line: I do think the Packers match up well against that talented defensive front of the Chicago Bears. As good as Hicks, Goldman and Mack are, the Packers OL, quite frankly, when healthy matches up as well as any line in the NFL, particularly in the pass game. If there is a place to attack the Bears in the run game, the edge is the place to do it. Goldman and Hicks are so stout inside, its helpful to run away from that part of their defense. Thats what we do best. So I do like our OL matching up against their defensive front. 

Running back: On week 1, the Packers will never look better here. Aaron Jones is really our only true "guy" but it is week 1 and he is our guy and he's playing healthy. The Bears defense is incredibly stout, especially inside, but it will help a lot to get those big guys moving and the cut back and force them to use athleticism more than what they want to use vs brute strength (what they want to do.) The Bears have talent, experience and speed all over the back end of their defense so I absolutely do not expect a lot of huge runs, but some consistent solid runs outside should be doable to keep the chains moving. 

Tight end/FB: Jimmy Graham and Danny Vitale. I'm a bigger fan than most here. Jimmy is big, fast, experienced and healthy. Vitale is a weapon in the pass game and a better blocker than the typical running back. These two guys can hold up in the run game and really compliment the pass game. With so much experience and speed and talent in the back end of the Bears defense, I do think the Packers offense with its balance and with the way the running plays and passing plays all look alike is a good matchup against an experienced defense that would otherwise diagnose and attack very quickly. 

WR: Lead by Davante Adams. MVS is in his second year with Rodgers. Allison has always been a reliable target for Aaron Rodgers. All three of our top guys can at least get in the way as blockers with decent size and length. MVS takes the top off with his speed. Allisons quickness and savvy inside is a good matchup for those choice routes inside. Adams is Adams. I do think the Bears defense matches up well with any passing attack so I don't think this is necessarily a win for the Packers. 

QB: Aaron Rodgers is the key to the Packers offense; both in terms of being the field general that pushes pace and cohesion and just being a dominant NFL QB. The Bears are a great defensive unit. Rodgers is going to have to be patient and determined and willing to keep working the game plan even when its only 3 or 4 yards and a cloud of dust. Big plays against Fuller and Amukamara and Eddie Jackson aren't just going to be given to him so setting a good pace and helping to keep a good rhythm for his guys so there isn't much confusion or presnap penalties is going to be key. A guy like Brady whos so patient and willing to take whats given is the idea matchup against the Bears defense. Lets hope AR shows some maturity and patience because I do believe that is what its going to take. 

SUMMARY: I don't give an edge to either team here. I respect the hell out of the completeness of the Bears defense. They have playmakers on all levels and no real weak spots. But with Aaron Rodgers, a healthy Aaron Jones, Jimmy Graham and the weapons Aaron is so comfortable working with, on top of the experienced, quality OL, I do see the Packers as being able to enforce a death by a thousand paper cuts sort of cruel persistence that will eventually open up an MVS deep ball to put the game away.

BEST BET

Bet on the Packers outright at +145. The Bears might be slight favorites, but at +145, the Pack is too good a bet to pass up. 

Edited by boratt

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This is the gameday thread.

Yo, boss.
OK if we aim a little higher ? 
This is the Titletown forum after all  B|

If you'd like, you can take mine from AG's thread AFTER tomorrow's game and make it a new thread

Aim higher. I’m just shooting the general **** and there was no Bear week discussion thread so I made one.

We’ve waited 8 months to be 8 days away from opening kick off. I need somewhere to talk Bears week!

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Yo, boss.
OK if we aim a little higher ? 
This is the Titletown forum after all  B|

If you'd like, you can take mine from AG's thread AFTER tomorrow's game and make it a new thread

I'm not even sure why we have a week 4 preseason thread when we play the TNF opener. Who cares, I want to post funny Bears pictures so make a real thread already.