College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

14 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

I like Thomas and wirfs...but man...to get epenesa..and a tackle that falls to rd2 would be nice.

Agreed.  I love Trey Adams out of Washington but he can't stay healthy.  If we pull someone in free agency or trade like Williams or Conklin I think you are 100% right that's what we should do

9 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Agreed.  I love Trey Adams out of Washington but he can't stay healthy.  If we pull someone in free agency or trade like Williams or Conklin I think you are 100% right that's what we should do

Tre Adams is a day 3 pick to me.

Talented for sure, but like you said, can’t stay healthy. “Most important ability is availability” and all that.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Young, Brown, Simmons, Thomas, Willis, Wirfs.

Those are the guys I have that I’d like at 10.

Anyone I’m missing?

Take out the most powerful Nose Tackle in years (Derrick Brown) out because he's a non-factor pass rush wise. Top-10 for a run-stuffer is too rich of a price given the all around elite talents likely to be on the board.

Take out the Linebacker/Strong Safety Isaiah Simmons. Unbelievable linear, track athlete. Positional value and his lack of real football real instincts and physicality limit his impact at the next level. He's more Linebacker now than Strong Safety. Accumulated crazy stats but he's not the football player at Linebacker or at Strong Safety to go top 10. 

Add Jeff Okudah, Kristian Fulton, AJ Epenesa, and talent-wise CeeDee Lamb (although the depth of quality at WR is insane so it wouldn't make much sense to go WR).

Young, Thomas, Wills, Wirfs, Epenesa, Lamb, Okudah, and Fulton (9 Players, assuming Joe Burrow and Tua/Herbert go top 10 that means we'd get one of them). Hopefully, we wouldn't necessarily be left to pick between Jeff Okudah, CeeDee Lamb, and Kristian Fulton... that would likely mean trade down, but all 3 of those players are going to likely be stars so it could be worse.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Take out the most powerful Nose Tackle in years (Derrick Brown) out because he's a non-factor pass rush wise. Top-10 for a run-stuffer is too rich of a price given the all around elite talents likely to be on the board.

You not ready to rock a 3-4 under McDaniels?

Take out the Linebacker/Strong Safety Isaiah Simmons. Unbelievable linear, track athlete. Positional value and his lack of real football real instincts and physicality limit his impact at the next level. He's more Linebacker now than Strong Safety. Accumulated crazy stats but he's not the football player at Linebacker or at Strong Safety to go top 10. 

Interesting.

In the little I’ve seen of him he looks like a stud.

Add Jeff Okudah

Another corner?

Kristian Fulton

See above.

,AJ Epenesa

Is he gonna be able to rush the passer?  Seemed slow, but I’ve only seen a bit. 

, and talent-wise CeeDee Lamb (although the depth of quality at WR is insane so it wouldn't make much sense to go WR).

Yeah, no WR/QB/RB/TE.

Young, Thomas, Wills, Wirfs, Epenesa, Lamb, Okudah, and Fulton

Tell me about Delpit.

I would be shocked if 1 of Thomas, Wills, and Wirfs wasn't there at pick 10.  Two may be gone, but I don't think all 3 will be.  It seems that Thomas is the consensus # 1 Tackle.  I don't know much about Wills besides what I've read, and Wirfs looks the part to me.

I like Epenesa alot, and think he would be a nice compliment opposite Garrett.  Is he TJ Watt good?  I don't know about that.

Then you are looking at 2nd round Tackles.  Probably a big drop off at that point.

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You not ready to rock a 3-4 under McDaniels?

What a time..

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Another corner?

Trade-down most likely, but many believe Okudah is better than Lattimore and Ward by a clean margin.

Greedy Williams is a nice prospect but he's not that at all. Denzel Ward can't stay healthy.

It wouldn't be optimal but an elite CB1 who's bigger, stronger, and a better tackler wouldn't be a wasted pick.  Like I said though, it could telegraph a trade down.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, no WR/QB/RB/TE.

I agree.... Team Trade down in that case... CeeDee is on that crazy level though... we could do a lot worse

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Tell me about Delpit.

Buttcheeks.. One of the most overrated players in the draft... a whiffs artist and miss tackle connoisseur. Short armed/no length, has limited ability to range and disrupt the pass... plays with tremendous energy and competitive fire. Bad eyes and mental diagnosing of pass and run.  A strong safety exclusively with tackling and box support issues and none of the pass disruption upside. Great character, goes all out, great leader by all accounts. Not a top 10 pick. Late 1st to mid 2nd is more realistic even then you have a starting SS with intangibles but will be a liability in an isolated matchup league. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I would be shocked if 1 of Thomas, Wills, and Wirfs wasn't there at pick 10.  Two may be gone, but I don't think all 3 will be.  It seems that Thomas is the consensus # 1 Tackle.  I don't know much about Wills besides what I've read, and Wirfs looks the part to me.

I like Epenesa alot, and think he would be a nice compliment opposite Garrett.  Is he TJ Watt good?  I don't know about that.

Then you are looking at 2nd round Tackles.  Probably a big drop off at that point.

At least 5 teams (not including Washington) have serious Tackle issues before we pick.  It's also likely that Thomas, Wirfs, and Wills will be the top player on the board when they pick:

To me, it's actually very llikely that Thomas, WIlls, and Wirfs are gone before our pick and we have to trade up to make sure we get one.

Those teams are:

1.) New York Giants (have nothing at Tackle and a new QB1 and Barkley; Gettleman loves Lineman),

2.) Chargers (Had arguably the worst OLine in the league this year and swinging doors at Tackle)

3.) Arizona Cardinals (Tackles were trash and they have to protect Kyler Murray)

4.) Miami Dolphins (traded away Tunsil),

5.) Panthers (Greg Little struggled, but even if they stay with him they have nothingness at the other Tackle and it killed their season)

6.) Lions (Ricky Wagner is thought to be a cap casualty this off-season)

7 minutes ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

Maybe this is a lazy or bad comparison but I get an Aaron Curry vibe from Simmons. I think we need to take BPA Tackle at 10 and then potentially another at the next pick. Maybe consider trading back in for Biadasz?

As boring as 2 lineman in the first would be, it’s be enough to make my jeans right.

4 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

At least 5 teams (not including Washington) have serious Tackle issues before we pick.  It's also likely that Thomas, Wirfs, and Wills will be the top player on the board when they pick:

To me, it's actually very llikely that Thomas, WIlls, and Wirfs are gone before our pick and we have to trade up to make sure we get one.

Those teams are:

1.) New York Giants (have nothing at Tackle and a new QB1 and Barkley; Gettleman loves Lineman),

2.) Chargers (Had arguably the worst OLine in the league this year and swinging doors at Tackle)

3.) Arizona Cardinals (Tackles were trash and they have to protect Kyler Murray)

4.) Miami Dolphins (traded away Tunsil),

5.) Panthers (Greg Little struggled, but even if they stay with him they have nothingness at the other Tackle and it killed their season)

6.) Lions (Ricky Wagner is thought to be a cap casualty this off-season)

I still would be shocked if all 3 were taken, not disagreeing with your take on the need by these teams.  If Burrow and Young go 1, 2....and 3 of the tackles are off the board by the time we pick, that would leave Okudah, Brown, Epenesa, Jerry Jeudy, Cee Dee Lamb, still on the board.  It also takes into account that Herbert is still there, when many believe he will be drafted by the Chargers.

Some teams may also be in love with Simmons, Delpit, or Yetur Gross Matos

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As boring as 2 lineman in the first would be, it’s be enough to make my jeans right.

I wouldn't hate the idea of using the first 2 picks on the Oline, but man....our D was horrible towards the end of the year.  I believe it was explained well in the other thread, but we would need to get some "killers" in FA.  I'm talking Vontaze Burfict types.