So I guess Trent Williams must be worth (2) first round picks minimum, right?

aceinthehouse

Situations like this are why sports teams can’t win. Especially not when their fans are already riled up and unwilling to give the benefit of the doubt. 

Maybe the Redskins will get a 1st round pick for Trent. That would be wonderful. But the much more likely outcome is that it will be less than that. By a full round or maybe even two rounds. 

And when that happens, a lot of people are going to be really upset and blame the Redskins for getting shafted, because they’ve begun hoping (and in some cases, convinced themselves) that it will definitely be a 1st round pick and perhaps more. Which means that if/when the Redskins do trade him for something like 3rd round picks in 2020 and 2021, those people will walk away believing that the Redskins screwed up the trade negotiations and gave him away for basically nothing. Despite the fact that what the Redskins get was likely always the actual market value, and the only thing that was screwed up was the fans’ overly optimistic/hopeful expectation of the return. 

40 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Situations like this are why sports teams can’t win. Especially not when their fans are already riled up and unwilling to give the benefit of the doubt. 

Benefit of the doubt is earned, not just given. If this were a stable organization where this was occurring, I would be more inclined to have more optimism even if we don't get a first out of it.

But lets be fair. This is Washington.

Sorry, but when a guy who is not nearly as good goes for 2 firsts & a 2nd? 

The bar gets set.

I don't care that he's younger or where his potential is at. He's been in the league long enough to be on that level by now.

And not even 1 pro bowl to show for it.

Sure, if you want to lower to price for Trent because of a possible dope suspension & that he's 31 yrs of age? I can understand that.

But when Trent is on the field, he's a top 3 LT in the whole entire NFL League.

At this stage & with the risk? Sure, 2 firsts & a 2nd isn't happening.

But neither is just a couple 3rds, either.

I believe his value is at worst case scenario....a 2nd round pick.

Like, he gets caught with a blunt in his mouth on the way for a physical & drug screening.

Gets hit by a truck, punches a female cop as it's recorded by audio & video.

Then strangles the judge in court with his gorrilla diamond chain necklace.

Only then.....might he only fetch a 2nd.

Otherwise, he won't be cheap to obtain in a trade.

Antonio Brown only got a third and a fifth because of his attitude and off-field issues.  Look objectively at Trent Williams.  He is 31, hasn't played a full season since 2013 due to nagging injuries, is one failed drug test away from a 10 game suspension, and he's removed more leverage by leaking out that he refuses to play for the Redskins anymore.  

All of that adds up to similar issues that the Steelers were dealing with when trading Antonio Brown, not to mention the similarity in age.  31 is a long time in NFL years.  The average career is 3.3 years, and the NFL claims that 6 years is the average career for players who make the roster in their rookie season.  Any team trading for Williams is taking a lot of risk, and they're going to have to extend him during his downward-trending years.  

All of that contributes to his value not being what many are making it out to be.  It's why I've maintained that his value is a fourth and a sixth, with us being lucky to get a conditional third.  

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Antonio Brown only got a third and a fifth because of his attitude and off-field issues.  Look objectively at Trent Williams.  He is 31, hasn't played a full season since 2013 due to nagging injuries, is one failed drug test away from a 10 game suspension, and he's removed more leverage by leaking out that he refuses to play for the Redskins anymore.  

All of that adds up to similar issues that the Steelers were dealing with when trading Antonio Brown, not to mention the similarity in age.  31 is a long time in NFL years.  The average career is 3.3 years, and the NFL claims that 6 years is the average career for players who make the roster in their rookie season.  Any team trading for Williams is taking a lot of risk, and they're going to have to extend him during his downward-trending years.  

All of that contributes to his value not being what many are making it out to be.  It's why I've maintained that his value is a fourth and a sixth, with us being lucky to get a conditional third.  

Ahh the Trent Williams situation is nothing similar to Antonio Brown. One is upset with a medical staff, which certainly seems to be justified and the other badmouthed all his teammates, caused locker room distractions and has now got himself fired twice.

Trent hasn’t said a word, has never caused issues with his teammates and was suspended for something the league is probably going to do away with in the next CBA. He’s had his injuries but he’s also gutted it out several times and still played at an elite level. There’s no comparison to be had between the two. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Ahh the Trent Williams situation is nothing similar to Antonio Brown. One is upset with a medical staff, which certainly seems to be justified and the other badmouthed all his teammates, caused locker room distractions and has now got himself fired twice.

Trent hasn’t said a word, has never caused issues with his teammates and was suspended for something the league is probably going to do away with in the next CBA. He’s had his injuries but he’s also gutted it out several times and still played at an elite level. There’s no comparison to be had between the two. 

There are issues surrounding both that drop their value in a trade.  Age is a common denominator for one, and the others are different as you stated, but it causes us to arrive at the same point- the value in a trade is not what we would expect.  

38 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There are issues surrounding both that drop their value in a trade.  Age is a common denominator for one, and the others are different as you stated, but it causes us to arrive at the same point- the value in a trade is not what we would expect.  

So where just gonna ignore reports that the Patriots where willing to give up a 1st for both of these guys? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-reportedly-offered-first-round-pick-for-antonio-brown-trade-ab-hired-consultants-to-accelerate-release/amp/

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-turned-down-patriots-offer-first-round-pick-trent-williams-source

The Steelers weren't sending Brown to the Patriots being they are in the AFC and it was just stupid for the Skins not to send Williams to the Patriots. The Skins hurt Williams vaule more than anyone else! 

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

31 is a long time in NFL years.  The average career is 3.3 years, and the NFL claims that 6 years is the average career for players who make the roster in their rookie season.

I always have an issue with this basic statistic. Right before the start of the regular season you have a 53 man roster and 10 practice squad members which equals 2016 players per year. Every year, we add lets say another 250. In the course of 6 years, another 1500 plus are drafted and several others are added to rosters that went undrafted. I think that the number of short term players/busts greatly skew the career average.

49 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

So where just gonna ignore reports that the Patriots where willing to give up a 1st for both of these guys? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-reportedly-offered-first-round-pick-for-antonio-brown-trade-ab-hired-consultants-to-accelerate-release/amp/

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-turned-down-patriots-offer-first-round-pick-trent-williams-source

The Steelers weren't sending Brown to the Patriots being they are in the AFC and it was just stupid for the Skins not to send Williams to the Patriots. The Skins hurt Williams vaule more than anyone else! 

I honestly do not believe those reports are accurate.  Belichick is not the kind of GM who is going to give up a first round pick willingly.  And if he did indeed offer the Steelers a first for Brown, and they didn't take it, well, that's Bruce Allen levels of incompetence and like I said, BB has not demonstrated that before.  

40 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

I always have an issue with this basic statistic. Right before the start of the regular season you have a 53 man roster and 10 practice squad members which equals 2016 players per year. Every year, we add lets say another 250. In the course of 6 years, another 1500 plus are drafted and several others are added to rosters that went undrafted. I think that the number of short term players/busts greatly skew the career average.

True, but how many players are playing into their 30's who are not QBs?  That list is pretty small.  

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I honestly do not believe those reports are accurate.  Belichick is not the kind of GM who is going to give up a first round pick willingly.  And if he did indeed offer the Steelers a first for Brown, and they didn't take it, well, that's Bruce Allen levels of incompetence and like I said, BB has not demonstrated that before.  

You don't have to believe anything but I'll sure take a professional report witch states the Bill Belichick was interested in both those guys over some guy with no experience in the NFL or news reporting. Your giving a opinion. I bring facts. 

Belichick did sign Brown after his release from the Raiders, so theres your proof the Patriots did have interest in AB. 

Even if it wasn't a 1st round pick, Bill was willing to give something for Trent. Bruce botched this whole Trent situation by not getting anything at all for him. So BECAUSE of Trents age that means Brady's blindside doesn't need to be protected? I don't think so. Williams is still a top LT in this league despite his age. Doesn't allow many sacks and doesn't commit many penalties. Sounds like a Patriot type of guy to me. His weed issues aren't on the level of rape, death threats, year long suspension, ect like some of these other guys who still play in the league. Also look a Brady's age, for some AGE IS JUST A NUMBER. Trent performance on the field doesn't say he's too old to play in the league. 

Edited by Skins212689