So I guess Trent Williams must be worth (2) first round picks minimum, right?

aceinthehouse

11 hours ago, offbyone said:

For god sakes, trade him already!

I posted it last week, but read the article from Agent's Take over at CBS Sports.  Joel Corry dealt with Bruce Allen during Keenan McCardell's holdout , and he was the same way he was now.   

And, judging from the press conference quotes, it seems like Allen isn't going to give in this season, but explore an off-season trade........when everyone has plenty of options to replace their current LT's. 

Everything about this bucks conventional wisdom, and just another example of how the culture is damn good, as in it means we're close and winning off the field.  

• Like 1

With all the injuries to teams right now, specifically LT's? We could easily net a 1st & probably more with Trent locked in for 2020 as well.

There's no reason to NOT trade him, with a "rumored" strong draft coming up in 2020.

By waiting till next season? Trent will be a year older, teams will be preparing for the draft & there will be OTHER LT candidates for teams to bit on in FA or via trade.

It's mind numbing how stupid & petty this decision is by Bruce Allen.

Let's hope he has a change of heart in the next 2 weeks, before the trade deadline.

And I don't believe him for a second that no teams have called. Even to low-ball him in a trade. I'm betting many have called.

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I feel like what we’re seeing is a (likely informal) agreement between the owners to refuse to give in to these trade demands. It’s not just Trent — LAC refused to give in to Melvin Gordon and JAX is refusing to give in to Jalen Ramsey. PIT refused to yield to Le’Veon Bell last year

This trend of players holding out and “demanding” trades is terrible for teams. It’s also terrible for fans, of course, but these teams are building rosters and making decisions based on having these star players in the fold — and that fragile house collapses when cornerstone player decides he wants out. Their options are either to let the guy sit out or to give in and trade him for a reduced price, both of which are entirely inefficient and suboptimal.

So the only rational strategy is to deter the players from holding out/demanding trades by demonstrating that it won’t work. Make it clear that if you choose to do this, your situation will only get worse, not better. And that only works if everybody (or most everybody) is on board and sticks to the gameplan. Which I think is what we’re seeing around the league right now, and I think Snyder/Allen are only all too happy to ride the hard line for the owners.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, e16bball said:

The more I think about it, the more I feel like what we’re seeing is a (likely informal) agreement between the owners to refuse to give in to these trade demands. It’s not just Trent — LAC refused to give in to Melvin Gordon and JAX is refusing to give in to Jalen Ramsey. PIT refused to yield to Le’Veon Bell last year

This trend of players holding out and “demanding” trades is terrible for teams. It’s also terrible for fans, of course, but these teams are building rosters and making decisions based on having these star players in the fold — and that fragile house collapses when cornerstone player decides he wants out. Their options are either to let the guy sit out or to give in and trade him for a reduced price, both of which are entirely inefficient and suboptimal.

So the only rational strategy is to deter the players from holding out/demanding trades by demonstrating that it won’t work. Make it clear that if you choose to do this, your situation will only get worse, not better. And that only works if everybody (or most everybody) is on board and sticks to the gameplan. Which I think is what we’re seeing around the league right now, and I think Snyder/Allen are only all too happy to ride the hard line for the owners.

I could buy it, why not? They're doing it with Kap now, I don't see why this couldn't be the case too. 

On 10/13/2019 at 12:34 PM, e16bball said:

I was tending to agree with your take here but I think yesterday proved that this isn't the case and that Bruce is just being stubborn.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I was tending to agree with your take here but I think yesterday proved that this isn't the case and that Bruce is just being stubborn.  

I’d be shocked if Trent isn’t gone by the deadline. I bet it ends up being Dan making the move. 

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I am still trying to understand the benefit of this stance of we won't trade him.  Even if it is a total farce and just window dressing.  What is the point of it?  Everyone should be on the trading block at all times for the right price and we shouldn't be shy about saying that. 

Edited by offbyone

3 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I am still trying to understand the benefit of this stance of we won't trade him.  Even if it is a total farce and just window dressing.  What is the point of it?  Everyone should be on the trading block at all times for the right price and we shouldn't be shy about saying that. 

Bruce knows the culture isn't "damn good", and if he gives in to the team captain's trade demands he could have a slew of other players demanding to be traded as well.  At least that is what I believe his thought process is.  He is making the wrong decision (typical).  

51 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Bruce knows the culture isn't "damn good", and if he gives in to the team captain's trade demands he could have a slew of other players demanding to be traded as well.  At least that is what I believe his thought process is.  He is making the wrong decision (typical).  

You are probably right.  The problem is this whole making an example of a player ends up coming at the expense of the team. 

It really depends on the situation.  I look at the Melvin Gordon situation and the chargers won on that.  I think they were right to dig in their heels.  The whole point of the rookie wage scale is to get players at a reasonable rate for both.  But at the same time replacing a running back is a lot easier than replacing a LT.

In the case of TW, we are midway through TW's second contract and we can get just compensation for him.  He also isn't in his prime and has his long injury history.  He has also made such a stink out of this whole thing accusing our medical staff of wrong doing, etc., that I don't know how he can't be viewed as someone we want back in the building.  So you eat your pride, trade him and move on and hopefully the team is better for it. 

I think waiting much longer takes us to a dangerous part of the season.  A couple weeks ago, a lot of teams had high hopes for the season and seemed a left tackle away.  But that is changing.  The chargers are falling apart.  Another possibility, the browns season seems in jeopardy.  Same with the Jaguars.  Every week that goes by, the number of teams that are in a position to make a real run at a superbowl is slimming down.  So don't wait too long.  

Edited by offbyone
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, offbyone said:

His EGO is to BIG to understand this. This is totally a Boss tryna show the Employee up type move. 

Williams has missed out on millions of dollars to show there isn't any chance he will play here, yet the his Boss is tryna prove a point the Employee can't force his way out. 

Dan not stepping in and forcing Bruce or allowing someone else to deal with this situation shows even He can't see the how dumb this is just from a football perspective. 

Why not get players and a pick for a guy rather than just not pay him. I could see if teams where really low balling but I truly believe they could've got a 1st for Williams earlier in the season and right now a 2nd round pick!