Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

9 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Oh ok, that's cool. I stopped playing IV because it was like 50 editions. I love watching tourneys on Twitch. I don't watch all of them, but I do watch a few. Makes me want to use my Fight Stick I paid all that money for, but controller...controller just keeps pulling me back. :D

I've been watching a lot Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite.  The roster is still a really big turnoff, but the game play looks much improved from MvC3.  I have also heard the netcode in the game is the best ever for the franchise.

6 hours ago, showtime said:

I've been watching a lot Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite.  The roster is still a really big turnoff, but the game play looks much improved from MvC3.  I have also heard the netcode in the game is the best ever for the franchise.

I got the game at launch just to see what the Story Mode was like, completed it and haven't picked it up since.

It's a fun game from a strictly gameplay standpoint, but the roster is a really big turnoff. Only 30 characters, most of those being reused characters from MvC3, and it includes **** characters like Haggar, Firebrand, Nemesis and Spencer. I still can't believe friggin' SPENCER (!) made it back over the literally dozens of far-more deserving Capcom characters. And of course, there's the awful graphics and art style.

TL;DR: it nails the gameplay, but fails at just about everything else. 

Cuphead is visually one of the most impressive games I've ever seen. It's not a game I would really feel like playing, but I gotta give credit where its due on the animation. So many games now are generic, recycled pieces of junk. This one is a huge breath of fresh air.

On October 1, 2017 at 5:58 PM, KManX89 said:

I got the game at launch just to see what the Story Mode was like, completed it and haven't picked it up since.

It's a fun game from a strictly gameplay standpoint, but the roster is a really big turnoff. Only 30 characters, most of those being reused characters from MvC3, and it includes **** characters like Haggar, Firebrand, Nemesis and Spencer. I still can't believe friggin' SPENCER (!) made it back over the literally dozens of far-more deserving Capcom characters. And of course, there's the awful graphics and art style.

TL;DR: it nails the gameplay, but fails at just about everything else. 

Yes, I've heard the story mode is not really all that great.  My biggest thing about most games is the game play and hearing you say it nails that is great.  As far as you know, will this game have DLC characters that are added in over time just like SFV has?  I'm pretty sure it will because these games have lifespans that last years upon years.

2 hours ago, showtime said:

Yes, I've heard the story mode is not really all that great.  My biggest thing about most games is the game play and hearing you say it nails that is great.  As far as you know, will this game have DLC characters that are added in over time just like SFV has?  I'm pretty sure it will because these games have lifespans that last years upon years.

DLC characters have already been announced. I think they're adding 1-2 a month for most of next year. The cast will grow by a sizable amount.

I've heavily considered getting the game. One on hand it sounds great, and the good netcode sounds really attractive. On the other hand, fighting games could be such a huge time sink if you want to get good and play online (which is all I enjoy doing). Tough choice.

25 minutes ago, McNabbs Beef said:

DLC characters have already been announced. I think they're adding 1-2 a month for most of next year. The cast will grow by a sizable amount.

I've heavily considered getting the game. One on hand it sounds great, and the good netcode sounds really attractive. On the other hand, fighting games could be such a huge time sink if you want to get good and play online (which is all I enjoy doing). Tough choice.

If you enjoy fighting games, why not pick MvCI up?  Unless you already play a fighting game, that is.  The only two fighting games I have really enjoyed this gen is Street Fighter 5 and Killer Instinct.  MvCI looks like it will be joining that list.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, showtime said:

If you enjoy fighting games, why not pick MvCI up?  Unless you already play a fighting game, that is.  The only two fighting games I have really enjoyed this gen is Street Fighter 5 and Killer Instinct.  MvCI looks like it will be joining that list.

You're totally right. I think I might end up picking it up pretty soon. I generally like to wait a little before I buy fighting games, specifically to make sure the netcode is good (which it's great) and to make sure the general meta is what I enjoy playing with (Injustice 2 for example is all zoning from what I heard...not a fan). This game so far has totally held up to both of those standards.

I kinda want to wait until it dips in price a little, but at the same time fighting games are by far at their best when everyone is still learning. I might buy it this weekend.

Oh yeah, for anyone who doesn't know, KI is now available on Steam. Actually considering rebuying it on there as I really dislike the Windows 10 store.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2017 at 5:20 AM, animaltested said:

Yeah, Red Prince talks to dreamer first even if both are in your party. Then Sebille kills him much to the Red Princes anger. But nothing is affected. 

Are you able to do the Imprisoned Elf quest then as well? 

6 hours ago, McNabbs Beef said:

You're totally right. I think I might end up picking it up pretty soon. I generally like to wait a little before I buy fighting games, specifically to make sure the netcode is good (which it's great) and to make sure the general meta is what I enjoy playing with (Injustice 2 for example is all zoning from what I heard...not a fan). This game so far has totally held up to both of those standards.

I kinda want to wait until it dips in price a little, but at the same time fighting games are by far at their best when everyone is still learning. I might buy it this weekend.

Oh yeah, for anyone who doesn't know, KI is now available on Steam. Actually considering rebuying it on there as I really dislike the Windows 10 store.

Awesome.  Outside of the netcode getting positive feedback, one of the things I am most excited for is X Factor being gone.  That was honestly one of the worst parts about MvC3 and it really was one of the reasons I ultimate quit playing the game.  Generally, I believe the feedback within the fighting game community was roughly the same.  Most people agreed MvC3 was a bad game, but continued to play it because it is such a classic and beloved franchise.

18 hours ago, showtime said:

Yeah, but I have a fundamental problem with the BASE game only having 5 new characters (and only 30 characters total) with the rest being held for ransom via DLC. So I fork out an extra $30 to get a... kinda workable roster (Monster Hunter looks badass judging by the reveal trailer)? And even then, it still lacks many of the highly fan-requested characters: Regina (Dino Crisis), Asura (Asura's Wrath), Gene (God Hand), Captain Commando, Nina (Breath of Fire), Power Stone characters, etc. There were TONS of fan requests for each of these characters, all of which would've been perfect for a game like this (Captain Commando's pretty much already a superhero character on the Capcom side). Instead, they gave us Arthur, Firebrand, Spencer, Nemesis, Haggar, etc. And Chris, as much as I like him, he could've easily been replaced with Leon, and why not with REmake 2 coming out? 

It certainly doesn't help when you have terrible graphics and UI and an associate producer who handles PR saying things like "characters are just functions". Yes, a guy working on the game literally said this, I kid you not

Compare that to Injustice 2, which has pretty much all the characters the community asked for, much better presentation, richer in content, etc. It was much better received as a result. Talk about polar opposites.

Edited by KManX89

39 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Yeah, but I have a fundamental problem with the BASE game only having 5 new characters (and only 30 characters total) with the rest being held for ransom via DLC. So I fork out an extra $30 to get a... kinda workable roster (Monster Hunter looks badass judging by the reveal trailer)? And even then, it still lacks many of the highly fan-requested characters: Regina (Dino Crisis), Asura (Asura's Wrath), Gene (God Hand), Captain Commando, Nina (Breath of Fire), Power Stone characters, etc. There were TONS of fan requests for each of these characters, all of which would've been perfect for a game like this (Captain Commando's pretty much already a superhero character on the Capcom side). Instead, they gave us Arthur, Firebrand, Spencer, Nemesis, Haggar, etc. And Chris, as much as I like him, he could've easily been replaced with Leon, and why not with REmake 2 coming out? 

It certainly doesn't help when you have terrible graphics and UI and an associate producer who handles PR saying things like "characters are just functions". Yes, a guy working on the game literally said this, I kid you not

Compare that to Injustice 2, which has pretty much all the characters the community asked for, much better presentation, richer in content, etc. It was much better received as a result. Talk about polar opposites.

I don't mind the DLC for a game like this; simply because this game will have a very long lifespan.  The game shipping with 30 characters is fine with me.  It will take plenty of time to become good with all of those characters.  When I said the roster was disappointing - I meant because X Men characters were not included, not because of the total number of characters.  You have to keep in mind that MvC3 had roughly 38-40 characters in their final product, so it's possible MvCI surpasses that total as the game's lifespan grows.

I'm not a huge Injustice fan.  Never have been.  The game is decent, but it doesn't have anywhere near the karma built up in the fighting game community that the MvC franchise has.  I can almost guarantee that Injustice 2 doesn't have as long of a lifespan as MvCI - unless they release MvC4 sometime in the near future.

I bought COD IW when it was on sale on Steam last time bc I'm an idiot. I played through the entire SP today, jesus what a joke. I could write a better story than that in 15 minutes. So bland, so obvious. Pure crap. Voice acting was atrocious too. Some of it was Michael Bay cool and that's fine, I knew what I was getting into, but did they really pay someone to write that game script?

27 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I bought COD IW when it was on sale on Steam last time bc I'm an idiot. I played through the entire SP today, jesus what a joke. I could write a better story than that in 15 minutes. So bland, so obvious. Pure crap. Voice acting was atrocious too. Some of it was Michael Bay cool and that's fine, I knew what I was getting into, but did they really pay someone to write that game script?

IW is widely considered one of the worst CODs ever

11 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

IW is widely considered one of the worst CODs ever

AW was terrible overall but I seem to recall the story being better. It doesn't have to be anything special. It's just COD but wow that was lazy and terrible and so unoriginal on top of it. You'd think they could do better than that pretty damn easily. I guess they thought ZOMG SPACE FPS was good enough and didn't care.