Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

5 hours ago, Mossburg said:

^So what would be an appropriate term for an accessory that nobody utilized, not even first party developers, to the point that it was put out of production? I think worthless is appropriate.

Nobody utilized?  Yes, maybe not for gaming, but the accessory is utilized by some people on a daily basis.  One of my friends uses it to watch TV or snap between his game and listening to music.  With all that said, there are a lot of people who do not want the accessory.  They have sold it as a stand alone product and it obviously has not sold well.  My point was, it should have been stand alone the entire time - not forced upon everyone who wanted an Xbox One when the console first launched. 

3 hours ago, Mossburg said:

I think I have to designate the PS4 as the worst console of all time (at least as far as what I've owned). Game preferences aside, between the awful controller battery life, the awful thumb grips, games that don't allow you to change controls and force you to choose between presets, still a slow and crappy user interface with online fees for the same thing that was free last time, this is the first time in all my years of owning all kinds of consoles from different makers where I think the overall experience is lacking. If the same applies to the XB1, then it's tied for the worst of all time.

I'm actually at a point where I want to play less competitive PC games and do more single player couch gaming, and I basically have been reminded what a shizbox this thing is.

You make valid points about some of the cons of the PS4.  The battery life on the controller is absolutely horrendous - The Xbox One's controller battery life is superb.  I also agree with what you're saying regarding PSN.  PSN has taken some strides in the right direction over the past few years, but it is still far behind Xbox Live.  Always has been and probably always will be.  Xbox Live was excellent during the Xbox 360 era and continues to be that way today.

This is actually pretty similar to the discussion we had in the Android thread a week ago.  The PS4 is would be Samsung in this case and the Xbox would be a Google/iPhone.

2 hours ago, stallyns said:

So there is a big sale on RBI Baseball 2017 on both PS4 and XBOne right now during the World Series. 67% off which on PS4 makes it only $6.59 (thru 10/31). Based on the price I expect it is probably worth it but is the game any good/fun? 

I played 16 and didn't like it - if you have a PS4 your best bet is The Show or if you're looking for something more "arcadey" Super Mega Baseball is fun. 

1 minute ago, MathMan said:

They are rereleasing them.

Not sure what that is

Retropi is an operating system on the raspberry pi. Its a tiny computer that you can download emulators on. They have HDMI ports and usb ports. You can play all the games on the old systems. The raspberry pi costs around 35. You can use any controller with a usb like an xbone controller.

23 hours ago, steadypimpin said:

Retropi is an operating system on the raspberry pi. Its a tiny computer that you can download emulators on. They have HDMI ports and usb ports. You can play all the games on the old systems. The raspberry pi costs around 35. You can use any controller with a usb like an xbone controller.

yeah if you are really good with computers, you can make some sweet pi setups. I have seen some pretty cool units made. I recently seen a video where I guy basically made his own Switch. Just google raspberry pi game consoles or in youtube and you will get some sweet videos.

I don't understand Nintendo's frequent issues with not having enough consoles to meet the demand. I don't think Sony or Microsoft have ever dealt with significant backlog of console orders despite just as much demand. I guess I can understand the NES classic's limited release, since naturally a SNES classic would follow, so by treating people to a limited release of NES classic you'd have people ready to buy the SNES on launch and not risk worth waiting in fear it will run out... but they're just doing the same thing again. The only ones profiting off of the fact that there are more people who want a SNES classic than SNES classics available are 3rd parties. Nintendo can be so out of touch.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I don't understand Nintendo's frequent issues with not having enough consoles to meet the demand. I don't think Sony or Microsoft have ever dealt with significant backlog of console orders despite just as much demand. I guess I can understand the NES classic's limited release, since naturally a SNES classic would follow, so by treating people to a limited release of NES classic you'd have people ready to buy the SNES on launch and not risk worth waiting in fear it will run out... but they're just doing the same thing again. The only ones profiting off of the fact that there are more people who want a SNES classic than SNES classics available are 3rd parties. Nintendo can be so out of touch.

Honestly it seems pretty intentional..limit supply to increase demand among consumers due to the mind set of people saying "I better hurry up and order one while I can"....I can't see any other explanation as Nintendo certainly has the capabilities of producing far greater numbers if they really wanted to.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2017 at 8:53 AM, rob_shadows said:

Honestly it seems pretty intentional..limit supply to increase demand among consumers due to the mind set of people saying "I better hurry up and order one while I can"....I can't see any other explanation as Nintendo certainly has the capabilities of producing far greater numbers if they really wanted to.

The only issue with that is I went everywhere looking for an NES Classic with none being found. I ended up just buying a raspberry PI so not only did they lose my business on the NES Classic its unlikely I get the SNES Classic, or whatever classic they throw out there. The only one I am interested in is the N64 one if one is made. By that time a more robust Raspberry Pi may be out that handles N64 games better anyways. 

On 10/27/2017 at 3:17 PM, buno67 said:

yeah if you are really good with computers, you can make some sweet pi setups. I have seen some pretty cool units made. I recently seen a video where I guy basically made his own Switch. Just google raspberry pi game consoles or in youtube and you will get some sweet videos.

They are awsome. Just note that N64 and Dreamcast emulation is a little too hard on the current Pi available. NES, SNES, Atari, PS 1, Sega, ect. all play great. If you want a real authentic setup you can buy USB controllers that match each console as well.