Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

7 minutes ago, HighHopes said:

No, loot boxes should go away in general. I hate them. I hated them when they were called "card packs" and I hate them now even in cosmetic form. RNG GO AWAY.

I think rejecting cosmetics is gonna bite us all in this ***. They're not turning off the MTX revenue stream. Genie isn't going back in the bottle. If cosmetics are treated with pure rejection, they'll just go to p2w since both are reviled and p2w I am sure rakes in comparison.

It might be time to accept the lesser of the two evils instead of just making it worse.

Do you think they really might go away completely? Not necessarily loot boxes, they might trash those over the gambling scare. But they sure as hell aren't giving up MTXs. I doubt they really ever do.

I get anti RNG concepts, I'm not, but I get it. But when it comes to drops that are all cosmetic, is RNG that important? If RNG (no offense) in getting skins and outfits is truly hurting your having experience, maybe you should look closer at why you game. Hell you could never open them since they don't matter and avoid RNG :) I mean semi kidding obviously, I don't know if you're one, but I see so many guys who literally allow their gaming experience to be ruined by stuff like cosmetic drops...I guess my personality type just tries to find the good/fun in this all instead of looking for my next outrage fix.

I still swear even the p2w stuff doesn't affect the gameplay as much as the circle jerk is claiming, which doesn't mean I don't agree with their fight.

I got three replies today on posts about SWBF2 being discounted. I saw people say "still too much." Maybe they're right but I've asked them all, have you played it? Zero yeses. Maybe that's a good thing, so be it. But how the hell would they know. Maybe its actually fun and they're depriving themselves of a good time just to get in on the brigading. Because that's what most of this is feeling like.

Edited by NormSizedMidget

I was mostly joking. I do hate them, but I understand them. Whether it's because games are actually underpriced or because companies are greedy lootboxes for cosmetics is one of the safest options. 

The thing is, I think a lot of us game to feel a sense of accomplishment. I think it was around the time the 360 introduced achievements that the industry realized they can introduce accomplishments in more ways then just beating the game. It was no longer just beating a game, but finding all the collectables, beating the game under specific conditions, or performing a rare feat. Around the same time, Call of Duty was finding ways to make online multiplayer more accessible to all players by adding progression through time rather than skill. Even the worst players could unlock the gold guns if they kept playing.

I have memories of working hard to 100% Halo 3 so I could earn the Hayabusa armor. I played way too much Modern Warfare because I wanted to collect all the tags and beat all gun specific quests. But with lootboxes, the only thing to work towards are lootboxes. Opening lootboxes, basically, has 3 outcomes. You either get something fair and everything is fine, you get something rare and feel like you cheated the system a bit, or mostly likely, you just feel cheated. The fact that you can feel great or terrible with the same thing ends up removing any sense of acconplishment to me. 

But to wrap up why I hate it for cosmetics as well. I am someone who likes customization, both for gameplay and visuals. I will spend hours at a character customization, so it does bother me that I can't specifically work towards something, even if it's cosmetic. 

In the end, we all game for our own reasons and I don't think there is a wrong reason. But I do also think alot of people don't think for themselves lol. 

• Like 3

What are loot boxes?  Are those like buying Madden cards in Madden Ultimate Team?  I have a hard enough time justifying DLC for games like Fallout 4 (which is why I played it once, then sold it, then bought the GOTY edition).  It's like paying extra for deleted scenes on the blu ray you just bought. 

• Like 1

I'm gonna repost this from another thread.

I actually think the way all Valve games, Overwatch and Rocket League do loot boxes is great for players and the game and I don't want to see it go. Some games have a designed life of many years and continuous support throughout. I want games like that, and I want to support developers like that. DOTA is easily the best example because there are massive in game shake ups and changes that keep the game fresh and an assload of effort goes into that. I actually want to give those people my money voluntarily because I want to extent the life of this game because it's the highest of quality. I'm even ok with the game not being free like DOTA, so Overwatch is fine as long as you get 100% of the game up front and the game is amazing and doesn't die after a few months (like all EA garbage). When a developer works hard to establish a loyal community by providing them immense value up front and then maintaining that quality for years, I hope they have loot boxes because they deserve to be financially rewarded. I will voluntarily part with my money because they have established so much goodwill that I feel they deserve it. Plus if there's an active pro scene, I want to support that too, so I will buy your fancy ticket thing for $10 with X amount of % going to the player prize pool. But companies like EA don't understand that the primary goal is to deliver the value up front through top tier quality and earn loyalty, they just want to eff your wallet on the first date.

• Like 2

Just reinstalled The Division after being out for over a year. They just released a massive patch and I must say, I only played for a little over an hour, but I had a ton of fun. 

Not even the same game from when I played at launch. If you own it, I'd recommend popping it in and checking out the new changes,

To put it bluntly, I'm kind of cheap. I don't like paying for a game and then seeing that I need to buy more stuff to make it more fun or missing out on certain things. If I buy it I should get the same guns, cars, whatever that everyone else gets. It seems like an unfair advantage sometimes. I cannot grasp how some of these madden players can drop hundreds of dollars on MUT. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steadypimpin said:

To put it bluntly, I'm kind of cheap. I don't like paying for a game and then seeing that I need to buy more stuff to make it more fun or missing out on certain things. If I buy it I should get the same guns, cars, whatever that everyone else gets. It seems like an unfair advantage sometimes. I cannot grasp how some of these madden players can drop hundreds of dollars on MUT. 

Year after year after year after year.

3 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

Just reinstalled The Division after being out for over a year. They just released a massive patch and I must say, I only played for a little over an hour, but I had a ton of fun. 

Not even the same game from when I played at launch. If you own it, I'd recommend popping it in and checking out the new changes,

Worth buying on sale? Playing solo?

27 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Worth buying on sale? Playing solo?

Definitely. Solo is cool but it’s great in a group. The main campaign will take you through level 30 and like most, I loved the main storyline.. the issue was the end game content and loot drop rates. Both those issues have been addressed and there is tons to do. 

I’m lookin forward to hopping back into the Dark Zone after work tonight. I know they are having a free weekend on Xbox starting tomorrow with the game+season pass 70% off. Worth it at that price

EDIT: Even if you are solo, matchmaking is seamless and you will still be able to run missions with a full group of 4. There is a big influx of new and returning players with this patch. It’s a good time to hop into it

Edited by packerrfan74

18 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Definitely. Solo is cool but it’s great in a group. The main campaign will take you through level 30 and like most, I loved the main storyline.. the issue was the end game content and loot drop rates. Both those issues have been addressed and there is tons to do. 

I’m lookin forward to hopping back into the Dark Zone after work tonight. I know they are having a free weekend on Xbox starting tomorrow with the game+season pass 70% off. Worth it at that price

EDIT: Even if you are solo, matchmaking is seamless and you will still be able to run missions with a full group of 4. There is a big influx of new and returning players with this patch. It’s a good time to hop into it

I'll check it out. I play PC these days and nobody I know anymore PC games so I avoid most things were grouping is the best part. I wasn't sure how this was exactly 

5 hours ago, Mossburg said:

I'm gonna repost this from another thread.

I actually think the way all Valve games, Overwatch and Rocket League do loot boxes is great for players and the game and I don't want to see it go. Some games have a designed life of many years and continuous support throughout. I want games like that, and I want to support developers like that. DOTA is easily the best example because there are massive in game shake ups and changes that keep the game fresh and an assload of effort goes into that. I actually want to give those people my money voluntarily because I want to extent the life of this game because it's the highest of quality. I'm even ok with the game not being free like DOTA, so Overwatch is fine as long as you get 100% of the game up front and the game is amazing and doesn't die after a few months (like all EA garbage). When a developer works hard to establish a loyal community by providing them immense value up front and then maintaining that quality for years, I hope they have loot boxes because they deserve to be financially rewarded. I will voluntarily part with my money because they have established so much goodwill that I feel they deserve it. Plus if there's an active pro scene, I want to support that too, so I will buy your fancy ticket thing for $10 with X amount of % going to the player prize pool. But companies like EA don't understand that the primary goal is to deliver the value up front through top tier quality and earn loyalty, they just want to eff your wallet on the first date.

100% agree.  I posted in the Overwatch thread yesterday that Overwatch League skins are coming to the game soon and I mentioned that I will at least buy a league skin for each team.  I love Blizzard and I love Overwatch; I also really want the Overwatch League to succeed.  I don't mind spending money sometimes to support one of my favorite developers ever.

36 minutes ago, showtime said:

100% agree.  I posted in the Overwatch thread yesterday that Overwatch League skins are coming to the game soon and I mentioned that I will at least buy a league skin for each team.  I love Blizzard and I love Overwatch; I also really want the Overwatch League to succeed.  I don't mind spending money sometimes to support one of my favorite developers ever.

I had heard about Overwatch League but didn't know too much about it. Obviously, eSports are on the come up but I had no idea about that Blizzard Arena they built in LA... or the fact that one of the LA teams is owned by Stan Kroenke and the Boston team is owned by Robert Kraft. Pretty crazy... that LA team is doomed. Poor South Koreans don't know who they signed on with.