Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

3 minutes ago, HighHopes said:

So whats the difference? I only remember the first one being more comedic.

I've got this question. BF1 is the first battlefield game I've played and I'm never going back now, hope Bad Company isn't a change from that. Vietnam would be cool though. 

2 hours ago, HighHopes said:

So whats the difference? I only remember the first one being more comedic.

Just follows a squad of misfits in a fictional US-Russia war. The story was a bit short but was enjoyable. Like you said there was some humor. The multiplayer was smaller scale but who knows how they do the online as obviously back then the servers couldn’t support large maps with a lot of people.

I didn’t get to play it as I was overseas with an internet connection that was about as fast as dialup in 2010-2011 but there was a Vietnam expansion pack. 

On 12/13/2017 at 5:41 PM, HighHopes said:

League is crazier than that. There are 10 North American LoL teams in the pro league.

5 Teams have some kind of involvement with the NBA (Rockets (Clutch Gaming), Warriors (Golden Guardians), Cavs (100 Thieves), Buck's co-owner (Flyquest), and Rick Fox (Echo Fox))

I would say 3 teams are major esports franchises (Cloud 9, Team Liquid, and Optic Gaming).

And the last two are practically the founders of LoL esports in TSM ans CLG. They also aren't shabby overall esports franchises, but I hesistate to call them top.

Although to my knowledge, Team Liquid isn't actually backed by Disney, they share like a commom invester or something.

I believe Liquid is owned by the same group that bought the Dodgers, including Magic.

Jerry Jones recently acquired or is part of a group that acquired Complexity esports team.

Plus Robert Kraft and Stan Kroenke own Overwatch franchises.

There's a lot more connections. Basically these people are making investments in something that could one day be mainstream because they can afford to have it fail, kinda low risk and maybe high reward. The demographics of esports fans are insanely valuable and undeniable for advertisers.

Edited by Mossburg

I wonder how league owners are going to deal with severe cases of toxicity.   There are several players in the Overwatch League who are very toxic during streams and there is a decently sized uproar about one of them right now.  I think a precedent needs to be set right away.

7 minutes ago, showtime said:

I wonder how league owners are going to deal with severe cases of toxicity.   There are several players in the Overwatch League who are very toxic during streams and there is a decently sized uproar about one of them right now.  I think a precedent needs to be set right away.

They are going to come down very hard, The same people that get upset (rightfully or not, It doesn't matter) at all the problems with the NFL would literally crap their pants if they were openly exposed to some of the stuff that comes out of video games culture. Extreme misogyny, open racism and homophobia, "non consensual sex" jokes, nazi jokes, etc.  

These kids will not have the luxury of actually being popular to regular Americans like Steph Curry or Tom Brady are, but they will have the scrutiny of being attached to pro sports teams, so as soon as something controversial happens, the media will get a hold of it and use the team affiliation to get massive clicks and views and it'll be a wrap.

Nobody cares when some LoL team player makes a bad comment at some tournament in Europe attended by nobody but gaming fans, but as soon as that guy makes the same comment while playing in an American league for a team that is also owned by the Golden State Warriors, the headlines will read "Player attached to Golden State Warriors and owner makes 'bad comment' after team loss" and at least a third of the people won't even read past the headline or fact check before they start bashing the actual GSW.

Hopefully the people in charge of this are aware and decide to make it fully known to these kids that the garbage toxicity associated with games, especially LoL, needs to die for their brand to take off.

^A lot of these dudes are basically basements to stardom. They don't really understand "professionalism" that well and aren't ready to be in the public eye. A lot of them are really awkward during interviews and don't look like they want to do anything other than just play and go home. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, I think a lot of the interviews are dumb anyway, but esports definitely lags behind a bit in creating more professional personas for the players than mainstream sports.

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

They are going to come down very hard, The same people that get upset (rightfully or not, It doesn't matter) at all the problems with the NFL would literally crap their pants if they were openly exposed to some of the stuff that comes out of video games culture. Extreme misogyny, open racism and homophobia, "non consensual sex" jokes, nazi jokes, etc.  

These kids will not have the luxury of actually being popular to regular Americans like Steph Curry or Tom Brady are, but they will have the scrutiny of being attached to pro sports teams, so as soon as something controversial happens, the media will get a hold of it and use the team affiliation to get massive clicks and views and it'll be a wrap.

Nobody cares when some LoL team player makes a bad comment at some tournament in Europe attended by nobody but gaming fans, but as soon as that guy makes the same comment while playing in an American league for a team that is also owned by the Golden State Warriors, the headlines will read "Player attached to Golden State Warriors and owner makes 'bad comment' after team loss" and at least a third of the people won't even read past the headline or fact check before they start bashing the actual GSW.

Hopefully the people in charge of this are aware and decide to make it fully known to these kids that the garbage toxicity associated with games, especially LoL, needs to die for their brand to take off.

I don't agree with some of your points.  NFL players don't make openly racist, homophobic, or nazi jokes in public for everyone to see - at least for the most part.  Those are things said between players or people inside of the locker room.  xQc is a player for the Dallas Fuel; a organization co-owned by Team EnVyUs and Hersh Family Investments.  What he does on his stream represents not only himself (like it was in the past), but now it represents the Overwatch League and the organizations involved with the team/league.

Fine, don't do anything about it.  You're setting a precedent right when then league starts that his behavior is okay.  I'm 100% certain Blizzard is not okay with this behavior based off past statements they have made.  The question is, what will be done about it.

3 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

^A lot of these dudes are basically basements to stardom. They don't really understand "professionalism" that well and aren't ready to be in the public eye. A lot of them are really awkward during interviews and don't look like they want to do anything other than just play and go home. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, I think a lot of the interviews are dumb anyway, but esports definitely lags behind a bit in creating more professional personas for the players than mainstream sports.

I'm not talking about someone who is awkward and doesn't want to talk in front of the camera.  I'm talking about a person who goes far out of their way to be a toxic person to his teammates and opponents during live streams, constantly.  I agree they don't understand 'professionalism', but that is why you make examples out of people early in this league's history.  I'm sure people will understand professionalism once they stopped getting paid.

^People get fired for things they say/do when not representing their employer too. At the end of the day these things are all driven by the amount of public outrage. If there isn't enough, they do nothing, if there's enough the corporation "does the right thing". esports isn't mainstream enough to get instant outrage from people like the NFL is. Partly good and bad, because when outrage becomes mainstream it's often overblown or even unwarranted, the bad being toxic gamers get a pass because most in the community don't care or find it entertaining. Once soccer moms become Rocket League moms, we're gonna see people calling for boycotts of esports events because the organizer's 401K investment receives dividends payments from a company that is allegedly testing their lipstick on capybaras in Thailand.