Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

On 10/3/2017 at 6:16 PM, showtime said:

I don't mind the DLC for a game like this; simply because this game will have a very long lifespan.  The game shipping with 30 characters is fine with me.  It will take plenty of time to become good with all of those characters.  When I said the roster was disappointing - I meant because X Men characters were not included, not because of the total number of characters.  You have to keep in mind that MvC3 had roughly 38-40 characters in their final product, so it's possible MvCI surpasses that total as the game's lifespan grows.

I'm not a huge Injustice fan.  Never have been.  The game is decent, but it doesn't have anywhere near the karma built up in the fighting game community that the MvC franchise has.  I can almost guarantee that Injustice 2 doesn't have as long of a lifespan as MvCI - unless they release MvC4 sometime in the near future.

Yeah, NeatherRealm games only have a lifespan of 2 years max typically. Injustice 1 died when MKX came out, MKX died when this game came out and when MK11 is released in 2019, Injustice 2 will come to an end. I imagine MvCI lasting at least 4ish years.

4 hours ago, McNabbs Beef said:

Yeah, NeatherRealm games only have a lifespan of 2 years max typically. Injustice 1 died when MKX came out, MKX died when this game came out and when MK11 is released in 2019, Injustice 2 will come to an end. I imagine MvCI lasting at least 4ish years.

Good point.  I'm not sure how long MvCI last because at some point MvC4 will probably come out.  If that game does come out, I would assume it would include the X Men characters to be true to the series.

Got my first Chicken Dinner last night on PUB. 99% on pure luck. Stayed out of harms way from 90-20 ish. Found a good hiding spot in the 2nd to last circle (Nuclear Plant), got three cheesy kills on the stairs. Got a super lucky on a pray and spray to get the last kill on the prone dude in the grass. Probably helped by lag. 

Game runs like dog poop, crashes like crazy too.

Just finished Tyranny, Obsidian's most recent Baldur's Gate style isometric RPG. Such a great game, and it seems weird now that I'd put off playing it for so long. The gameplay's great and the story felt a whole lot more unique than anything other than Planescape that I've come across in these types of games.

I'm really happy that great games of this type are being made again (Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin 1+2, Wasteland 2, Torment, etc)

On 10/3/2017 at 6:16 PM, showtime said:

I don't mind the DLC for a game like this; simply because this game will have a very long lifespan.  The game shipping with 30 characters is fine with me.  It will take plenty of time to become good with all of those characters.  When I said the roster was disappointing - I meant because X Men characters were not included, not because of the total number of characters.  You have to keep in mind that MvC3 had roughly 38-40 characters in their final product, so it's possible MvCI surpasses that total as the game's lifespan grows.

I'm not a huge Injustice fan.  Never have been.  The game is decent, but it doesn't have anywhere near the karma built up in the fighting game community that the MvC franchise has.  I can almost guarantee that Injustice 2 doesn't have as long of a lifespan as MvCI - unless they release MvC4 sometime in the near future.

Actually, the Capcom side is equally disappointing. It also left out a LOT of fan favorites in favor of recycled characters from the last game, including characters who nobody cares about like Spencer and Firebrand.

And 30 characters is very problematic for a Vs. game. Injustice 2 has 28 characters, and it only has characters from ONE company in it. Throw in the terrible graphics and art style, and you have the recipe for a flop game. Of course, this explains everything. Just over half the costs of SFV's DLC was put into making this game, really? And Capcom charging $8 per DLC character to buy them individually? Can't defend that, either. 

3 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Actually, the Capcom side is equally disappointing. It also left out a LOT of fan favorites in favor of recycled characters from the last game, including characters who nobody cares about like Spencer and Firebrand.

And 30 characters is very problematic for a Vs. game. Injustice 2 has 28 characters, and it only has characters from ONE company in it. Throw in the terrible graphics and art style, and you have the recipe for a flop game. Of course, this explains everything. Just over half the costs of SFV's DLC was put into making this game, really? And Capcom charging $8 per DLC character to buy them individually? Can't defend that, either. 

I don't get why you keep harping on Spencer as your example.  There were plenty of people who used Spencer in MvC3, he even appeared in tournaments.  I don't like paid DLC in any game that is not free to play, so I can agree with your overall point.  You're also right about fan favorites not being included, but they will probably be included over time via DLC - similar to how Akuma, Balrog, etc were eventually included in Street Fighter V via DLC.  

Terrible graphics and bad art style can be overlooked if a game has really good game play.  Trust me.  At the time, people said MvC3 had the classic look (and it did), but the game play was absurdly bad.  Honestly, the only reason that game stuck around for a long as it did is because of the history of the MvC franchise.  I think MvC3 was pretty universally thought of as a bad game by the FGC, but it was a game they had to continue to play.

MvCI is still new, so maybe it turns out the same way - but the initial feedback so far is that the game play is much improved.

14 minutes ago, MathMan said:

Same. I ordered the gold edition.

Just waiting for 11 pm...

I was up in the air about it because there is so many good games coming out plus I just bought the switch, but the last game was so good. 

Im on vacation this week so I definitely will be playing this a lot!! 

1 minute ago, Herbie_Hancock said:

I was up in the air about it because there is so many good games coming out plus I just bought the switch, but the last game was so good. 

Im on vacation this week so I definitely will be playing this a lot!! 

The only other game i want for a long time is South Park.

I think SoW will keep me busy for a while tho!

Hope the sword you get with the preorder isnt game breaking

1 hour ago, McNabbs Beef said:

Has anyone here played Fortnite? Downloading it now, not entirely sure what to expect.

Are you talking about the battle royale or standard game?

I haven't played the BR, but I watched a decent amount. It's basically PUBG with a few minor detail changes that changes it a bit. Like I think the map is smaller and there are no vehicles, so its almost more running and fighting in the outside. Chests are what you want to find, and the building aspect seems to mostly be to create small forts for the end game and travel up mountains. From what I hear, its a nice casual version because games are shorter.

The standard game I played. I liked the gameplay ALOT. The base building is pretty good and the combat and skills are pretty fun. But the menus are stupidly confusing early on and since it is loot box based, it can be grind and frustrating to get new and fun stuff. But the missions are fairly fun, it works well even with strangers (for the most part). It could maybe use a bit more variety in the mission types. The objectives are fairly unique, but they all boil down to wander, collect supplies, kill zombies.