What NFL hill are you willing to die on?

Bolts223

Offensive line is constantly under-valued, and any player good enough to OVERCOME a bad OL is a very special talent (Saquon, for example...). Conversely, if a player appears to be lighting it up but enjoys elite offensive line play - that needs to be taken into consideration as well. 

Julio Jones has been the best WR in the league pretty easily over the last 5-6 years. If paired with a stronger armed QB like a Big Ben, Russell Wilson or Carson Wentz he would score 13+ TDs every season and would hit 2000 yards receiving at least twice (as long as he didn't miss a game)

QBs are made by their circumstances more often than not.

I now think Tom Brady is the GOAT - but up until his 50 TD season, I thought of him as maybe the 4th or 5th best QB of his era. The rings didn't mean much to me. The Super Bowl MVP he got against the Rams was ridiculous. He had the "clutch" gene, and people often cited that as why he was better than Peyton - while that seemed to be the case, that wasn't enough for me to give him the edge over Manning.

Along similar lines, fans of teams often think players are better than they really are. For example: Russell Wilson - during the Seahawks Super Bowl runs, lots of Seahawks fans wanted to put Wilson into that top QB tier - but with their defense playing at an all time great level and Marshawn Lynch being a top RB, if Wilson was really at that level they never would have lost a game.

Similar to why I'm lower on Goff than most Rams fans - his season long numbers last year say he's a top 7 QB - but I don't think he's there yet.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:
1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

A three-down, featured RB is still better than trying to cobble together a timeshare backfield.  

I can die on this hill with you as well.

Both of you silly billys owe the Tebow guy flowers for posting something so crazy that this will go under the radar.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Both of you silly billys owe the Tebow guy flowers for posting something so crazy that this will go under the radar.

My evidence is anecdotal at best - but the Texans offense was better with Arian Foster than it was with a Lamar Miller/Alfred Blue timeshare.

Foster and a strong defense carried TJ Yates to the playoffs...

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Mario Williams was a better pick than Reggie Bush or Vince Young in 2006. Yes, I still get into arguments about this.

Don't disagree, just wish NFLN didn't overhype the  praise on Charley Casserley every year around draft time and go on about what an awesome decision he made. 

We get it, you made a great number 1 pick that worked out. Doesn't mean you know everything about the Draft. 

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

My evidence is anecdotal at best - but the Texans offense was better with Arian Foster than it was with a Lamar Miller/Alfred Blue timeshare.

Foster and a strong defense carried TJ Yates to the playoffs...

There are basically 2 scenarios:

1. You don't have a back that is better at each individual aspect of the RB position than a guy you could otherwise reasonably find. So a great downhill runner might not be a pass protection expect, or great at catching the ball. You're better off rotating to get the guy with the skillset you need on the field.
  2. You do have one of those guys. You still want to rotate, because otherwise you're going to run that guy into the ground.

Again, not Tebow bad.

2 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

Don't disagree, just wish NFLN didn't overhype the  praise on Charley Casserley every year around draft time and go on about what an awesome decision he made. 

We get it, you made a great number 1 pick that worked out. Doesn't mean you know everything about the Draft. 

Oh, I can absolutely buy in on this...

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You do have one of those guys. You still want to rotate, because otherwise you're going to run that guy into the ground

I don't see this as a terrible thing, unless I'm in some 70/30 run/pass type offense, and RB is getting 400+ carries plus 40+ receptions. 

Ultimately, I don't call what you're describing above as a RBBC. You have a three down back, but you need to spell him at times just to give him a breather - that isn't a timeshare as I define it.

Belly has a timeshare, with a guy out there who only catches passes, a guy who runs it between the Ts, a guy who runs outside the Ts, a goal line guy... that's an RBBC, IYAM.

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Mario Williams was a better pick than Reggie Bush or Vince Young in 2006. Yes, I still get into arguments about this.

How who the heck could they argue over Williams? Young absolutely not, Bush no. Cutler in a trade down makes sense in an argument and kubiaks offense he would have fit it.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I don't see this as a terrible thing, unless I'm in some 70/30 run/pass type offense, and RB is getting 400+ carries plus 40+ receptions. 

Ultimately, I don't call what you're describing above as a RBBC. You have a three down back, but you need to spell him at times just to give him a breather - that isn't a timeshare as I define it.

Belly has a timeshare, with a guy out there who only catches passes, a guy who runs it between the Ts, a guy who runs outside the Ts, a goal line guy... that's an RBBC, IYAM.

The exception to the rule is that you drafted the guy, but still never want to pay RBs. So you may as well run him into the ground, since you're not going to pay him anyway. But teams tend to not do that when they get a guy who is that good, so unless you're going into it knowing that you want to 4+franchise tag and done the guy, you're going to be on the hook for some cash. So at that point, splitting carries and getting the guy a breather on like 30% of the snaps is a big deal.

And I'd definitely consider a 70/30 split of snaps below the workhorse level.

Archived