GDT 9/8/19 Week 1: 0-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 0-0 Miami Dolphins

DreamKid

Biggest thing I'm worried about is weather. The Dolphins are probably a lot more used to playing in the kind of hot/humid conditions that they're gonna deal with on Sunday, and it seems like they've generally done well in early season home games in the past because of that. 

That said, if we can control the line of scrimmage, pound the rock and control TOP, we can really wear them down in that heat and run away with it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Biggest thing I'm worried about is weather. The Dolphins are probably a lot more used to playing in the kind of hot/humid conditions that they're gonna deal with on Sunday, and it seems like they've generally done well in early season home games in the past because of that. 

That said, if we can control the line of scrimmage, pound the rock and control TOP, we can really wear them down in that heat and run away with it. 

Yup. One of the reason I think the Ravens went with fewer D-lineman is they anticipate controlling the clock for most games. 

Teams that can't beat us at the LOS, like the Dolphins, have almost no chance of victory unless their offense bails them out.

If you try and bring extra defenders into the box to spy Lamar or overwhelm our running attack, then we're going to hammer slam dunk completions to our Tight Ends over and over. We saw it time and time again last year. Mark Andrews and Hayden Hurst quickly climb into the heart of these defenses and Lamar simply stands in the pocket and delivers dagger after dagger. 

It's not just about getting 'good' pressure either. If you can't completely dominate our offensive lineman- it's going to be a long day for your defense.

Prime example. DI is right at his doorstep, Lamar doesn't flinch and delivers the ball with ease to Hayden Hurst. 

If you can't overwhelm our line it's a simple pick your poison proposition every week for teams. Crowd the LOS and key in on Jackson & our runners- opening up high percentage throws to our talented Tight Ends and other pass catchers. Or, drop into sufficient coverage and open yourself up to this.....

Everyone gets a choice. LJ8 Year 2, activate. 

Also, notice in that first clip that the strong side linebacker is so keyed in on his contain assignment, that he neither chips Hurst or take more depth in coverage to disrupt the passing lane.

Having Lamar opens up some possibilities that other QB's doesn't get.

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I just realized in this clip, if #97 keeps pursuing toward the football, Lamar probably gets crushed on that play as he slows down to juke that LBer and cuts inside. At the very least big man gets a shoestring tackle.

Lamar's spacial awareness is about as elite as it gets. If #97 did pursue frantically, Lamar would just chain together other moves imo. They gave him way too much space and he went to work. Honestly, it didn't even look like Jackson was going full speed.

BTW, #97 is Kenny Clark. Who's considered an Elite DI. Pierce and Williams' motor, effort, and pursuit obviously surpass that of GB's bigs.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Yeah, 90 degrees isn’t really so bad. If it had been over 100 with serious humidity, that might’ve been cause for some concern (in terms of players not being accustomed to that), but 90 degree temperature isn’t much different than what they’ve seen in some of their practices to this point. The weather bodes well.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah, 90 degrees isn’t really so bad. If it had been over 100 with serious humidity, that might’ve been cause for some concern (in terms of players not being accustomed to that), but 90 degree temperature isn’t much different than what they’ve seen in some of their practices to this point. The weather bodes well.

The team has characterized those joint practices in Philly as literal hell heat wise. So after that experience I think they feel invincible against the sun. 

Wink said he thinks the Dolpins are going to go small ball against us and try to get us running in the heat. Fine by me. I'll put our conditioning up against any team in the league. 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

The team has characterized those joint practices in Philly as literal hell heat wise. So after that experience I think they feel invincible against the sun. 

Wink said he thinks the Dolpins are going to go small ball against us and try to get us running in the heat. Fine by me. I'll put our conditioning up against any team in the league. 

Especially with so many Florida boys in tow. Lamar was training in Florida in the offseason IIRC. Throw in 3 RBs that get after it, throw in TEs that double as receivers, throw in receivers that have playmaking ability. If they go small, no way they can contain our RBs.

You already have Minkah Fitzpatrick and his mom complaining (rightfully so) about how he’s lining up at SS in the box at 207 lbs. He doesn’t have the size to be in there with a Gus Edwards and Mark Ingram.

• Like 1