2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

1 hour ago, Rod Johnson said:

Looking at our starting 4 guys and thinking "those are 4 good starters" is a lot different than the d-line being a strength of the team.

I think this is the trap a lot of posters and pundits fell into last year.

Iirc, many thought the DL was a strength.

For a lot of reasons, turned out it was anything but.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

For sure.

Realistically you need 6 quality guys, starters and one key reserve inside and out.

I think we have 5 right now, definitely need another guy to play DT and will need a starting caliber replacements for Vernon and Richardson in the near future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Part of the problem was zero depth. They cycled through a bunch of players that eventually got cut or will be soon. Ogumjobi had a down year also.

Letting Schobert walk is an unpopular move but it is probably the right move, now none of what I am about to say means that Joe is a bad LB by any means because he is not he is a good smart player, but not for nothing we as fans tend to prop some of our players up a little more than the reality is, I cant remember who it was but somebody was comparing Joe being right up there with Luke Kuechly which for as good as Joe is he cannot hold LK's jock.  When we hired Berry as the GM he said that he would be aggressive to add talent to this team but we all knew that he was not going overpay what he feels the proper value for someone is.  What does Joe do yes he makes a lot of tackles, he was 6th  overall in the NFL with 133 this year... a good year no doubt very respectable, but of that 133 only 7 (which is his career best) were tackles for losses ranking him 82nd in the NFL,   We saw this a lot with D'Qwell Jackson and I remember people killing him for it, he racked up a ton of tackles but they were always mostly 5-10 yards down the field, he also had 16 missed tackles which ranked him 9th most in the NFL.  What else is Joe known for, he is known for being a very good coverage LB and he is a good Coverage LB and this year he made a bunch of splash plays intercepting the ball 4 times putting him only behind Darius Leonard, but after a strong 2018 in the passing game when he only allowed a 59.6% completion percentage, this past year he saw that increase to a 69.1% completion percentage.  Also this past season according to PFF Joe saw a massive dip in his effectiveness rate from 77..2 in 2018 to 59..1 in 2019.  Now everyone had a down year this past season (well except for Chubb and Jarvis) and this is not to say Joe is a bad player because he is not he is a good smart Linebacker and he will get a hefty pay raise but it is obvious that the value our front office put on him did not equal the amount that Joe was asking for to stay.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For sure.

Realistically you need 6 quality guys, starters and one key reserve inside and out.

I think we have 5 right now, definitely need another guy to play DT and will need a starting caliber replacements for Vernon and Richardson in the near future.

Whoch 5 of ours do you like? 

Myles, larry, Richardson, vernom and chad? 

Even that is underwhelming unless larry bounces back, and chad takes another big step up, Larry is looking like an average starter, if we had that group and nassib and ogbah id be happier. 

12 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

yep.

12 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Even that is underwhelming unless larry bounces back, and chad takes another big step up, Larry is looking like an average starter, if we had that group and nassib and ogbah id be happier. 

I don’t think Larry was nearly as bad as others.  He’s not a guy who’s going to beat regular double teams as the focal point of an O line (like he was much of the latter portion of the year), but he’s a solid starter.

Thomas looked decent filling in for Vernon and as a spot starter.  I’d imagine he improves a bit more year 3.

31 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

So Larry is average, but adding Nassib and Ogbah would make you happy....?

Someone in here might get a rise out of this..I finished a full off season/draft mock with 32 other GMs and here's what I did for the Browns...

Restructure:
DE Oliver Vernon

WR Odell Beckham

Cuts:
LB Chris Kirksey
S Morgan Burnett
OT Chris Hubbard

LB Ardarius Taylor

Trades:

TE David Njoku to the Miami Dolphins for the #70 pick

QB Baker Mayfield to the Chicago Bears for the #43  pick

Signed:

QB Tom Brady

OT Dennis Kelly
S Karl Joseph 

QB Nate Sudfeld

Draft:

1. OT Tristan Wirfs, Iowa
2. WR Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona St.
2. OG Damien Lewis, LSU
3. DT Davon Hamilton, Ohio St.
3. LB Evan Weaver, Cal
4. TE Devin Asiasi, UCLA
4. RB Eno Benjamin, Arizona St.
4. S Brandon Jones, Texas
6. CB Camryn Bynum, Cal
7. OG Mike Onwenu, Michigan

Made it Brady Land by signing Tom. The hook was new passing game coordinator Chad O'Shea. He'd be installing Brady's offense making it an easier transition. Of course, Baker would become a distraction after the fact so he was relocated to Chicago. I like Baker but imo there's just no comparison whatsoever between him and the goat. Even if it's just 2-3 yrs.

Traded Njoku's no receiving az to Mia. Again, I like the guy but he's such a liability.

I was outbid for Schobert by NE. So that sucks.

I feel like I killed the draft however. I love LB Weaver filling in for Joe. And I like Texas S Jones as a sleeper that could contribute as a rookie. Adding OT Wirfs, OG Lewis and 7th steal OG Onwenu is just silly. I think Aiyuk has very similar tools to OBJ and the personality of Landry.

Edited by BrownLeader

35 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

So Larry is average, but adding Nassib and Ogbah would make you happy....?

Nassib got a few sacks as a rotation guy, like 6 i think. Cant remember the last time a browns starting de got 6 sacks not named myles.

54 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Someone in here might get a rise out of this..I finished a full off season/draft mock with a bunch of guys and here's what I did for the Browns...

Restructure:
DE Oliver Vernon

WR Odell Beckham

Cuts:
LB Chris Kirksey
S Morgan Burnett
OT Chris Hubbard

LB Ardarius Taylor

Trades:

Signed:

QB Tom Brady

OT Dennis Kelly
S Karl Joseph 

QB Nate Sudfeld

Draft:

2. OG Damien Lewis, LSU
3. LB Evan Weaver, Cal
4. TE Devin Asiasi, UCLA
6. CB Camryn Bynum, Cal

Made it Brady Land by signing Tom. The hook was new passing game coordinator Chad O'Shea. He'd be installing Brady's offense making it an easier transition. Of course, Baker would become a distraction after the fact so he was relocated to Chicago. I like Baker but imo there's just no comparison whatsoever between him and the goat. Even if it's just 2-3 yrs.

Traded Njoku's no receiving az to Mia. Again, I like the guy but he's such a liability.

I feel like I killed the draft however. I love LB Weaver filling in for Joe. And I like Texas S Jones as a sleeper that could contribute as a rookie. Adding OT Wirfs, OG Lewis and 7th steal OG Onwenu is just silly. I think Aiyuk has very similar tools to OBJ and the personality of Landry.

giphy.gif

• Like 10

11 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Someone in here might get a rise out of this..I finished a full off season/draft mock with a bunch of guys and here's what I did for the Browns...

Restructure:
DE Oliver Vernon

WR Odell Beckham

Cuts:
LB Chris Kirksey
S Morgan Burnett
OT Chris Hubbard

LB Ardarius Taylor

Trades:

Signed:

QB Tom Brady

OT Dennis Kelly
S Karl Joseph 

QB Nate Sudfeld

Draft:

2. OG Damien Lewis, LSU
3. LB Evan Weaver, Cal
4. TE Devin Asiasi, UCLA
6. CB Camryn Bynum, Cal

giphy.gif

• Like 4

18 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Someone in here might get a rise out of this..I finished a full off season/draft mock with 32 other GMs and here's what I did for the Browns...

Restructure:
DE Oliver Vernon

WR Odell Beckham

Cuts:
LB Chris Kirksey
S Morgan Burnett
OT Chris Hubbard

LB Ardarius Taylor

Trades:

Signed:

QB Tom Brady

OT Dennis Kelly
S Karl Joseph 

QB Nate Sudfeld

Draft:

2. OG Damien Lewis, LSU
3. LB Evan Weaver, Cal
4. TE Devin Asiasi, UCLA
6. CB Camryn Bynum, Cal

You are doing that screen name justice. Keep up the work.

tenor.gif

• Like 2