Has Nagy's Offense Been Figured Out?

G08

11 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

It was inexplicable.  We were joking that somehow, all those wishes we made during the John Fox era "please God or Vishnu or anyone that will ******* listen, please just make them throw the ball" came true simultaneously, just 2 years late and all at the worst possible time. Only explanation.

You bring great stuff by the way, thanks for stopping by. 

You are welcome.  I have no issues rooting for Chicago when they aren't playing GB.  Since I live in Milwaukee, I do like to follow Bears football.  

I've PM'd with dl2000 a few times and liked the exchanges we've had.  I think we may even have a little wager out there concerning this season, one that I feel like I"ll lose, but still, it's all in good fun.

About the game.  I thought that you tried the read option too much.  Our ends, P Smith especially, wreaked havoc on those plays.  In the past?  Easy reads and gains against Clay.  P Smith is a lot better and tougher against that set.  And your center, Daniels, was man handled by our one playmaker on the DL, Kenny Clark.  He was caving things in.  Had the runs been "traditional" and in a G-T gap...that may have found some success.  But on the edge and up the middle was going to be a no-go zone.

What you did well, and you need to credit Nagy and Trubisky for this, was targetting Tony Brown when he was on Robinson.  Brown took him when King went to the bench as he was on his "pitch count" after not playing or practicing in the pre-season.  

In the re-match....I'm going to be shocked if you target Alexander's guy more than twice.  That's playing with fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Ok this is where I have a problem with that line of thinking.  The guy is a running back.  It's not rocket science.  Hand him the damn ball and he'll make plays.  It's that simple.  It's why you drafted him after all is it not?

I'm tired of hearing about this play book being too hard to learn.  You are coached lots of money to prepare these guys for the type of system you want to run. Time is of the essence.

I could be wrong. I'm simply guessing. Arkush asked him "did you like what David did on Thursday and will it earn him more carries, and if not, what can he do to get there?" and all Nagy said was "everytime he touched the ball he did good things and I'll leave it at that." It just seemed odd. If he was that impressive in camp and did well on Thursday, what other reason can there be?

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

About the game.  I thought that you tried the read option too much. 

I don't think that Nagy realizes that the read option has to be a wrinkle, and not a cornerstone of your offensive strategy. To say more than that (to answer your question more completely, in other words) would require some paragraph stacking I'm not up for at the moment...:)

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I could be wrong. I'm simply guessing. Arkush asked him "did you like what David did on Thursday and will it earn him more carries, and if not, what can he do to get there?" and all Nagy said was "everytime he touched the ball he did good things and I'll leave it at that." It just seemed odd. If he was that impressive in camp and did well on Thursday, what other reason can there be?

He probably was terrified that if he elaborated, the conversation would eventually come back to him, and his refusal to run the ball. 

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

He probably was terrified that if he elaborated, the conversation would eventually come back to him, and his refusal to run the ball. 

At the very least it would destroy his excuse that he didn't use him more because he didn't know the whole playbook.  That's weak stuff.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vegas492 said:

You are welcome.  I have no issues rooting for Chicago when they aren't playing GB.  Since I live in Milwaukee, I do like to follow Bears football.  

I've PM'd with dl2000 a few times and liked the exchanges we've had.  I think we may even have a little wager out there concerning this season, one that I feel like I"ll lose, but still, it's all in good fun.

About the game.  I thought that you tried the read option too much.  Our ends, P Smith especially, wreaked havoc on those plays.  In the past?  Easy reads and gains against Clay.  P Smith is a lot better and tougher against that set.  And your center, Daniels, was man handled by our one playmaker on the DL, Kenny Clark.  He was caving things in.  Had the runs been "traditional" and in a G-T gap...that may have found some success.  But on the edge and up the middle was going to be a no-go zone.

What you did well, and you need to credit Nagy and Trubisky for this, was targetting Tony Brown when he was on Robinson.  Brown took him when King went to the bench as he was on his "pitch count" after not playing or practicing in the pre-season.  

In the re-match....I'm going to be shocked if you target Alexander's guy more than twice.  That's playing with fire.

I'm still going to win that bet.  

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The offense wasn't figured out.  

The O line didn't block their assignments and allowed free runners to QB again and again.  That screws up any offense.

They were very bad. From my rewatch

In order of horrendous

1. Cody Whitehair, could be bench if he didn't have his resume and paycheck

2. Charles Leno, was just awful and twice was beat by DBs 1 on 1

3. James Daniels, missed too many assignments

4. Kyle Long

5, Massie, he only really had one atrocious play

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They were very bad. From my rewatch

In order of horrendous

1. Cody Whitehair, could be bench if he didn't have his resume and paycheck

2. Charles Leno, was just awful and twice was beat by DBs 1 on 1

3. James Daniels, missed too many assignments

4. Kyle Long

5, Massie, he only really had one atrocious play

When all 5 guys or 4 guys are bad you need to look at coach(es).  Mostly O line coach.  

If it was me they would be doing walk throughs on assignments all weekend.  No days off.  If they complained to Union rep I would make it public.

That was a travesty.

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

When all 5 guys or 4 guys are bad you need to look at coach(es).  Mostly O line coach.  

If it was me they would be doing walk throughs on assignments all weekend.  No days off.  If they complained to Union rep I would make it public.

That was a travesty.

Also consider this:

Daniels went back to school in offseason and crammed for his degree then had position change.

Whitehair just had his first born baby and was dealing with his contract so guessing he was pretty distracted.  

Long and Leno not sure what their excuse is.  Long has been a crazy person this year for some reason.  One can only speculate what is messing with his personality.  

I think constant scrimmaging was not best way to practice this training camp.  They need more practicing on air and walking through assignments to get them perfect.

Montgomery was about what I expected and played pretty well. He'll break some tackles but I don't see the speed to threaten defenses with big plays.

With that said, success in the running game is dictated by the OL. The Bears did not block well on the limited runs that were called. For all the hand-wringing about not running into a 5/6 DB look, the Bears didn't break a single run longer than 10 yards and averaged about 3.5 yards per carry.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Montgomery was about what I expected and played pretty well. He'll break some tackles but I don't see the speed to threaten defenses with big plays.

With that said, success in the running game is dictated by the OL. The Bears did not block well on the limited runs that were called. For all the hand-wringing about not running into a 5/6 DB look, the Bears didn't break a single run longer than 10 yards and averaged about 3.5 yards per carry.

And the QB averaged 5.06 ypa. That is significantly worse for a QB than 3.5 ypc is for an RB. There is absolutely no excuse for 91 passes and 30 runs in their last two games. None. It has to be more balanced or the Raiders are getting a top 15 pick out of it

On 9/9/2019 at 12:57 PM, vegas492 said:

So...after 8 quarters of Bears football, Green Bay feels like they have a "schematic read" on the Bears offense?

And mind you, two of those quarters were when Chicago was running an offense designed to kill the clock?

I think that it is more accurate to say that Adrian Amos clued Mike Pettine in on some tendencies and things to look for.

That and....GB's defense is re-vamped and could actually be legitimate for the first time in like 8 years.

Dan Durkin did a great piece on how Nagy was tipping his plays and Pettine was abusing hmm for it. Trips right with the RB on the same side of the field more often than not was RPO, etc. 

Bad look and he fooled the **** out of our online with his mug looks. Pathetic showing by the Bears. 

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

That was a travesty.

Or maybe not playing actual opposing defenders at full, game, speed? There's one coach to look at for that. 

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

And the QB averaged 5.06 ypa. That is significantly worse for a QB than 3.5 ypc is for an RB. There is absolutely no excuse for 91 passes and 30 runs in their last two games. None. It has to be more balanced or the Raiders are getting a top 15 pick out of it

Yards per play:

• Passes: 4.2
  • Runs: 3.1

Big plays (20+ yard pass/10+ yard run):

• Passes: 4
  • Runs: 0