Draft watch 2020

resilient part 2

Just now, Calvert28 said:

As far as I know though all we have is Gregory. I was hoping Jelks could come in and make some leaps to get some reps considering his athleticism but he hasn't shown that yet. He is more like Hill then anything else. 

If it's the same Gregory as we had a few years back, plus Lawrence and McCoy, that's a solid front line of pass rushers. Add some depth guys through draft or FA, and you'll be ok. Not great, but ok.

12 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I really wish we could have Quinn back too. 

Hopefully it's finally, fully Randy Gregory time, or our pass rush could be in trouble.

The weed thing was his only real issue, and now with that being a non-issue thanks to the new CBA, he should be good. 

He's still only 27...so could get a couple good years out of him.

4 hours ago, D82 said:

The weed thing was his only real issue, and now with that being a non-issue thanks to the new CBA, he should be good. 

He's still only 27...so could get a couple good years out of him.

The being away from football for a long time is a concern, too. We’ll just have to see. His last return was promising, but it is certainly a gamble to rely on him as a full-time player in 2020-2021.

20 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

The being away from football for a long time is a concern, too. We’ll just have to see. His last return was promising, but it is certainly a gamble to rely on him as a full-time player in 2020-2021.

Yeah, that’s obviously going to be a factor, but won’t lead to any suspensions is what I meant. 

On 3/18/2020 at 5:01 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

If it's the same Gregory as we had a few years back, plus Lawrence and McCoy, that's a solid front line of pass rushers. Add some depth guys through draft or FA, and you'll be ok. Not great, but ok.

See I have a problem with this. Even if we draft Henderson and he turns out to be the next Revis our secondary will still get torched. We have to have a formidable line for our other skill players to shine.

As of right now with our current state of FA signing I would say our needs go like this.

1- DE

2- CB

3- WR

4a/b-Safety/TE

Coming in I would say DE was a real position of strength. But now it just flew to our biggest need. 

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

See I have a problem with this. Even if we draft Henderson and he turns out to be the next Revis our secondary will still get torched. We have to have a formidable line for our other skill players to shine.

As of right now with our current state of FA signing I would say our needs go like this.

1- DE

2- CB

3- WR

4a/b-Safety/TE

Coming in I would say DE was a real position of strength. But now it just flew to our biggest need. 

CB is a huge need. DE would be great. Delpit and McKinney are probably not in consideration anymore with the signing of Dix. Despite the 1 year contract 

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

CB is a huge need. DE would be great. Delpit and McKinney are probably not in consideration anymore with the signing of Dix. Despite the 1 year contract 

It does not trump DE now. Our inability to get to the QB especially with DLaw only coming off with a season where he did not even get double digit sacks is a major cause for concern.

10 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

It does not trump DE now. Our inability to get to the QB especially with DLaw only coming off with a season where he did not even get double digit sacks is a major cause for concern.

I'm not concerned about Lawrence. I watched the games. DLaw was disruptive, and iirc one of PFFs highest rated run defenders. He was also being schemed against which opens things up for the guy on the other side who doesn't get the, OG, RB, and TE attention that Lawrence does. 

We DO need SOMEONE opposite of DLaw though. Weaver or Matos with a trade up from the 2nd. Griffin in FA. Maybe Baun in a TJ Watt role. Maybe Golden in FA. Sign Michael Bennett back and pair him with Crawford(barf). Trade a late round pick for a pricey vet like we did last year. Justin Houston has 1 year left on his deal and a cap hit of $9m and the Colts free up some space. He had 11 sacks last year so it may take more than a 6th or 7th. But I'd definitely explore options like that

Edited by DaBoys

42 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I'm not concerned about Lawrence. I watched the games. DLaw was disruptive, and iirc one of PFFs highest rated run defenders. He was also being schemed against which opens things up for the guy on the other side who doesn't get the, OG, RB, and TE attention that Lawrence does. 

We DO need SOMEONE opposite of DLaw though. Weaver or Matos with a trade up from the 2nd. Griffin in FA. Maybe Baun in a TJ Watt role. Maybe Golden in FA. Sign Michael Bennett back and pair him with Crawford(barf). Trade a late round pick for a pricey vet like we did last year. Justin Houston has 1 year left on his deal and a cap hit of $9m and the Colts free up some space. He had 11 sacks last year so it may take more than a 6th or 7th. But I'd definitely explore options like that

He should have had more sacks then he did though. Not sure why he didn't though, both he and Quinn should have helped eachother immensly but towards the end of the 2nd half of the season onward teams went less and less towards double teaming. It was gradual because it was obvious they feared Quinn more. 

As much as I hated losing Byron and Quinn. Quinn's loss created the bigger need because the front line compliments the secondary more then vice versa.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

1- DE

2- CB

3- WR

4a/b-Safety/TE

I don’t really disagree here, other than to say if (big if) Gregory can play up to his 2018 self, then we could still use some help, but it’s probably not that big of a deal.

42 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I don’t really disagree here, other than to say if (big if) Gregory can play up to his 2018 self, then we could still use some help, but it’s probably not that big of a deal.

If we got Griffen then I'd feel much better about RG. Last thing we should do is bank on RG.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shadow walker said:

Hey guys its been about 15 years since I last hopped on this website lol. Been busy with the NAVY and i'm currently stationed in Naples Italy....would it make sense to trade back for more picks get better value later.  Potentially draft Cam Weaver out of Boise State. 

Do you remember how we obtained the last fringe 1st round DE from Boise St., DLaw? 

I'd much rather draft BPA at 17 and then package our 2nd with another pick to move up. 

The goal every year should be to get two guys with first round grades. By hook or crook if you end up the draft with two first round prospects it wont matter how you draft late.

CJ Henderson and Weaver or Matos would be a nice draft for us regardless of how our 5th round pick ends up.