Draft watch 2020

resilient part 2

23 minutes ago, D82 said:

A safety corps of Clinton-Dix, Adams and Woods? Heck yeah 

Let's say we land Adams for #17 and give him a big contract extension. You could have used that contract on Byron instead, and on the flipside, signing Byron would likely have prevented you from trading for another big contract in the secondary.

So, from an opportunity cost stand point, you could look at it like:

Byron Jones and #17

for

Jamal Adams and a 2021 3rd round comp pick

Not sure that is great return, but not horrible..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Let's say we land Adams for #17 and give him a big contract extension. You could have used that contract on Byron instead, and on the flipside, signing Byron would likely have prevented you from trading for another big contract in the secondary.

So, from an opportunity cost stand point, you could look at it like:

Byron Jones and #17

for

Jamal Adams and a 2021 3rd round comp pick

Not sure that is great return, but not horrible..

We need to use our high picks on good players that will play multiple years on the cheap, especially with throwing away 35 Million on a mediocre QB

We can't afford to have a steak on every plate anymore

We decided to throw away the years with Dak, Zeke, Jaylon and Byron on Rookie deals and went 9-7, 10-6 and 8-8 - Go Cowboys!

4 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

We need to use our high picks on good players that will play multiple years on the cheap, especially with throwing away 35 Million on a mediocre QB

We decided to throw away the years with Dak, Zeke, Jaylon and Byron on Rookie deals and went 9-7, 10-6 and 8-8 - Go Cowboys!

If you or 5x10 could make a single post without mentioning Dak and his contract and blaming our lack of success on him/it that would be pretty swell

5 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

I love how you bemoan both that we have a mediocre QB *and* that we wasted said mediocre QB’s rookie deal.

Also, funny for you to just leave out a 13-3 season. Clearly no agenda or bias here.

Murray & Queen are great, but...taking another LB that high just seems dumb to me. You have Jaylon and LVE, Lee who played really well last year, and guys like Joe Thomas & Luke Gifford/Justin March who did okay in spot roles. I know there are some whispers about LVE's health, but even if he can't play again....so what? The other guys can fill in just fine. 

I'd much rather take an EDGE, DT, or secondary player than another LB. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

3 mehs on this list for me. Unless there is a trade down involved, I guess

Just to reiterate before anyone takes this too seriously, Bobby's 1 year history of making these lists is not very strong. His top 4 a week before the draft last year were Juan Thronhill, Jaylon Ferguson, Isaiah Johnson, and Joejuan Williams.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I love how you bemoan both that we have a mediocre QB *and* that we wasted said mediocre QB’s rookie deal.

Also, funny for you to just leave out a 13-3 season. Clearly no agenda or bias here.

You can have mediocre QB play as long as you're paying for Mediocre QB play in terms of low $$

You can't have mediocre QB play and pay Top Dollar for it and expect to compete

Having high $$ invested at the QB position will take away talent from other parts of the roster, Can that high $$ QB bridge that gap? It seems he couldn't when he was a low $$ QB, what do you expect to change?

I have recency bias... 13-3 was 4 seasons ago

The extra-hilarious thing about us potentially taking an LB at 17 is that not only do we have LVE and Jaylon already, but we also re-signed all our FAs in Lee, Thomas and March, so it’s not like depth is that big of an issue

Should we take another one that high, we’re more or less valuing it as the most important level of the defense which is just... good luck with that

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Just to reiterate before anyone takes this too seriously, Bobby's 1 year history of making these lists is not very strong. His top 4 a week before the draft last year were Juan Thronhill, Jaylon Ferguson, Isaiah Johnson, and Joejuan Williams.

That's a fair point. Broaddus seems to be corroborating this as well, but I think he might have had a similar list to last year's if I'm remembering right.

48 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Well to retort. If we had drafted Thornhill like we hoped we probably wouldn't even be having a discussion about Adams.

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Well to retort. If we had drafted Thornhill like we hoped we probably wouldn't even be having a discussion about Adams.

If the rankings were about who he wanted, then that would be a whole different story. But the list is who he thinks is most likely to be the Cowboys pick. And a week before the draft last year, whatever inside info he had, if any, lead him down a very wrong path prediction-wise.

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

That's a fair point. Broaddus seems to be corroborating this as well, but I think he might have had a similar list to last year's if I'm remembering right.

Broaddus was not as off the wall with names like Isaiah Johnson or Jaylon Ferguson last year.

I think if the name seems like it doesn’t make sense at #17, it probably doesn’t. I think if you stick at #17, Chaisson and Terrell are real options. I don’t buy Murray or Queen. 

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

3 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Broaddus was not as off the wall with names like Isaiah Johnson or Jaylon Ferguson last year.

I think if the name seems like it doesn’t make sense at #17, it probably doesn’t. I think if you stick at #17, Chaisson and Terrell are real options. I don’t buy Murray or Queen. 

Regardless, the reason I buy the Murray hype is the amount of work they're putting into him, especially considering he likely has no shot of getting to 51. I think I read he was going to be a 30 visit. I guess we'll find out in a week