Week 2 GDT: Colts @ Titans

ttitansfan4life

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i mean.....mariota's been playing like this for awhile, my dude. it's who he is as a QB at this point. sucks, but that's where we're at

this was supposed to be the year that we collectively as as team takes the leap. healthy mariota, better OL, better weapons. had to give him a chance to show some growth

but again, it's a culture/coaching thing more than anything. mariota wasn't out there missing easy tackles. our defense is really good but lack killer instinct

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Those are HoF QB’s though man.

Goff and Wentz have never eclipsed 32 TD’s and they’re being paid as franchise QB’s. 3700/32 is basically equivalent to what Russell Wilson has put up his last 4 seasons. Philip Rivers has only equaled or eclipsed 32 TD’s 4 times in his 13 years as a starter.

I’d say Mariota putting 3700/32 would be a dream scenario for us. Unfortunately it’s just that - a dream.

I don't think Russell puts up franchise numbers either truthfully. I think he plays like a franchise QB. 
I guess I should be more specific when I say franchise QB I'm thinking of one that can go anywhere and do what he does..
Wilson, Rodgers, Brees, and Brady. Franchise guys.  No matter who is around him. I think Rivers is also a franchise QB. Despite his lack of numbers.

They have the look and pass the eye test. Marcus looked like the guy in the Dallas/NE game as examples. If those were the only games I ever saw, I'd say yep, they have their guy. 

• Like 1

I’m still just never gonna understand how Henry only ran the ball 15 times when it was a 1 possession game for all 60 minutes. If we kept running him he would have continued to gash them and it would have opened up the play action which is one of the few things Mariota actually excels at.

28 passing calls (give or take to include the spikes at the end of the game and scrambles) to 15 called runs to Henry is just so, so terrible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

I’m still just never gonna understand how Henry only ran the ball 15 times when it was a 1 possession game for all 60 minutes. If we kept running him he would have continued to gash them and it would have opened up the play action which is one of the few things Mariota actually excels at.

28 passing calls (give or take to include the spikes at the end of the game and scrambles) to 15 called runs to Henry is just so, so terrible.

Hearing Cosell talk a while back, he was saying how the matchups vs the Colts just don't favor us.  They have those long fast guys up front compared to our slower guys. 
Bad match up

34 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Saffold has been disappointing as a pass blocker, he earned those two sacks yesterday. He’s also been our best run blocker. I’m not going to worry too much about it.

I haven't been super impressed with Saffold, but our whole interior stank yesterday.  Having Ben Jones recovering from an illness and an UDFA at right guard probably doesn't help.

Neither does Lewan still being out, of course.

Do we know anything about Nate Davis's injury yet?

As I reflect on yesterday, I find it funny that one of the major complaints about Mariota was the two sacks and not checking it down. My biggest concern is him checking it down too much.

You look at that passing chart from yesterday, it’s not the chart of a guy that’s holding on to ball too long, it’s the chart of a guy that doesn’t trust his receivers. The days of throwing to Harry Douglas, Eric Weems and DGB are gone, but he still has the same mindset that he can’t count on his receivers to create plays. You look at his two outside misses the first two weeks, he’s trying to anticipate the break perfectly, because he doesn’t think they can get enough separation to create an easy throw for him.

We have gone out and drafted two big, physical targets and our quarterback is afraid to throw it to them one-on-one if they don’t have at least three steps.

I am at a point where I’d rather see an interception 50 yards downfield against man coverage on 3rd and 10 than a five yard pass and a punt.

I don’t know if he can kick the habit, but the coaching staff needs to be preaching aggressiveness. If we’re going to call these hard play-action, max protect plays, our QB needs to be willing to put up a 50/50 ball.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

I don’t know if he can kick the habit, but the coaching staff needs to be preaching aggressiveness. If we’re going to call these hard play-action, max protect plays, our QB needs to be willing to put up a 50/50 ball.

he talked all offseason about vrabel telling him to "let it rip." i think the chances of kicking the habit are slim to none

Yeah, I have been a big MM supporter...but he is way too hesitant, and he is seeing the interior line collapse even when they are holding up. 

His internal clock is just off, maybe he was shaken up yesterday after the flip and another hit shortly after that, but he is late to feel the pressure then he steps forward which makes it worse. 

I have never been a fan of benching him but if he has lost confidence then he is done. I think we have all felt that he was pretty good in cluch spots mostly...and then that thing yesterday!!! That was just odd for him to be completely incompotent in a late game situation. 

I really think that we should turn him loose, run him 15 times a game, more read options and QB sweeps, then if he gets hurt we turn to RT and if he doesn't get hurt he will probably be highly effective. Use him up!!!

18 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

he talked all offseason about vrabel telling him to "let it rip." i think the chances of kicking the habit are slim to none

I have a number of concerns with Marcus, but that may be my biggest. It’s probably the one that handicaps the offense the most. You need the shots, even if they aren’t always successful, to open up the run game. It’s also the one that is, in theory, most easily fixable, which makes it more frustrating.

8 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I have a number of concerns with Marcus, but that may be my biggest. It’s probably the one that handicaps the offense the most. You need the shots, even if they aren’t always successful, to open up the run game. It’s also the one that is, in theory, most easily fixable, which makes it more frustrating.

i would 100% take a few more picks if it meant more downfield plays. 100%. our defense is good enough to absorb some of the blow from turnovers. what they can’t absorb is endless 3 and outs and no points getting put on the board.

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

Those are HoF QB’s though man.

Goff and Wentz have never eclipsed 32 TD’s and they’re being paid as franchise QB’s. 3700/32 is basically equivalent to what Russell Wilson has put up his last 4 seasons. Philip Rivers has only equaled or eclipsed 32 TD’s 4 times in his 13 years as a starter.

I’d say Mariota putting 3700/32 would be a dream scenario for us. Unfortunately it’s just that - a dream.

The funny thing is he is on pace to put up stats similar to that but most of us would be unsatisfied if he plays the whole season like he's played thus far.

44 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

As I reflect on yesterday, I find it funny that one of the major complaints about Mariota was the two sacks and not checking it down. My biggest concern is him checking it down too much.

My problem is more that at least a couple of those were sacks where there was a good bit of time between the pressure coming, him seeing (or at least facing the same direction as) the pressure, and him taking the sack.  If the sack is coming, get rid of it.  Not only to not take big losses when we can't take big losses of yards, but to not risk getting injured.

Getting rid of the ball when there's pressure coming is something he's struggled with his whole career, and it's something that seems like it should be fixable.

I also agree with the consensus that we need more big shots.  Brown looks like a prototypical deep possession receiver that can win those 50/50 balls.  Give him a chance to shine, isn't that why you draft a premium receiver?

9 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

The funny thing is he is on pace to put up stats similar to that but most of us would be unsatisfied if he plays the whole season like he's played thus far.

Sure, but in order to do so he would need to play like he did against Cleveland consistently and everybody was just fine with that performance.

• Like 1