GDT "Let's Move On" Edition: Bears & Broncos 9/15/19

beardown3231

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Because he was brought here to build an offense and his offense is TRASH.

The reason this team is not an elite team is because of the side of the ball is not any good.

This is like Lovie coaching the team and the defense being bad, we would not have accepted that.

Understandable, but again the coach has said it takes 3 years to master this offense. Might even be closer to 5. Why are those words ignored or not brought into play when assessing the offense? 

Again, if we look like this week 12-16 I'll be worried. Not weeks 1-2.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

Understandable, but again the coach has said it takes 3 years to master this offense. Might even be closer to 5. Why are those words ignored or not brought into play when assessing the offense? 

Again, if we look like this week 12-16 I'll be worried. Not weeks 1-2.

Because he doesn't get to set a timeline for when his offense doesn't suck.

Would your employer accept you saying that it will take years for you do deliver on what you promised?

I ignore Nagy's words because he is protecting his job. I ignore his words because for the most part he has blown smoke up our ***** this offseason.

Just now, G08 said:

This is absurd. 

What NFL coach gets to set the timeline for themselves? This is a high pressure, results based business. 

It is absurd to think that a coach gets to set his own timeline and expectations.He can say those things to lower expectations, but that does not make it gospel.

If this offense sucks for 3 years, it won't matter what Nagy says, Pace will have to make a hard decision on him.

2 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Nagy says things like that to protect Trubisky and buy time. It's coach-speak. You don't get 5 year development windows in the NFL.

16 offensive TDs in the last 10 games.

It has reached the point of being pathetic. 

I am fine if it takes 3-5 years to master the offense, but you cannot be pathetic for the first 3 years.

It is 100% unacceptable that the offense looks this bad and it is 100% unacceptable that the QB continues to be bad.

Making excuses for that does not change the fact that treading water, if not worse, is not acceptable in year 2 of the offense.

All offseason we talked about how year 2 was going to be a big leap and that more experience etc was going to cause an offensive improvement and that is what was going to launch us to being true Super Bowl contenders.

Now we do not know what to do because our offense is worse than last season. The entire premise of the Bears "improvement" has been thrown in the trash.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

You think that was on Fuller or the D that Pagano called? Fuller doesn't usually play 5-10 yards off of receivers. Perhaps it was by design to not let anything get behind them in a game where points were at a premium?

Not sure - Fuller is known for liking an off-man coverage style and Fangio allowed him to play that way, but what we saw last week may have been dictated by Pagano given how much blitzing we saw.

I was more concerned with a few plays late in the game where the Broncos attacked him. He was beat by Sanders on both the TD and the conversion IIRC.

52 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am fine if it takes 3-5 years to master the offense, but you cannot be pathetic for the first 3 years.

This is fair. 

I'm seeing a QB that is struggling reading coverages and operating this offense. That is not going to resolve immediately; it will happen over time, and God bless Matt Nagy for knowing this and taking things off his plate. At some point they'll find a happy medium, but *right now* we can win games by running the ball and playing great defense. 

Edited by G08

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

This is fair. 

I'm seeing a QB that is struggling reading coverages and operating this offense. That is not going to resolve immediately; it will happen over time, and God bless Matt Nagy for knowing this and taking things off his plate. At some point they'll find a happy medium, but *right now* we can win games by running the ball and playing great defense. 

Well it's also a fair question to ask why he is struggling so much in year 3 of his pro career.  I mean is Nagy putting too much on his plate or does he just not have "it"?

Sooner than later he's going to have to start showing people why he was the #2 overall pick because right now about 75% of the league's starting QBs are looking better than him.

I know he was the most "raw" of the bunch in his draft class and we need to be patient but again we also need him to be better than just a game manager.

13 minutes ago, G08 said:

This is fair. 

Well...maybe. Some QBs just never develop that skill. 

42 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

But again, why is this happening with Mitch? He was solid last year. All of a sudden he looks this bad? What changed?

Yep... I just don't get how he could regress this badly. He did not look this poor in really any game outside of the Rams last year. 

2 hours ago, G08 said:

This is fair. 

We hope.

It has been 27 NFL games and 17 Nagy games. Are we sure that it is getting fixed?

Lots of QBs have busted out because of that exact thing not improving.