Packers & Vikings Postgame

Leader

59 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You need to take your shots. Be it on 1st and 10 or 2nd and short, we were running some super sorry big ten offense in the second half of last week's game. 

I agree with the "take your shots" point.  Vikes had very little consistent offense going.  But they took some deep shots downfield, and converted on several, Diggs TD included.  Changed everything.  It was a "take your shot" throw to MVS that converted that led to the Packers one TD in Chicago.  That won us the game.  

Rodgers took a shot on first play yesterday, it worked, and that got everything happening.  (IMO that set up a lot of the other 1st-down runs that worked well; Vikes realized we might not run on EVERY first down...)  Rodgers took two shots later, one that Adams dropped and one that MVS dropped.  Had *either* of those been caught, it might not have been a one-possession game all 4th quarter.  

Our offense and passing game isn't good enough to just nickel-and-dime all the way downfield and get six first-downs en route TD.  We aren't going to score many TD's without big-plays; need some shots at big-plays, and need to catch some of them.  

There's a common point-of-view that Rodgers throws downfield too much, and is looking for big play.  But as Outpost noted, the average yards per pass and average yards per completion is small, not big.  Part of that is probably Aaron; he probably hasn't been accurate enough on deep throws.  And certainly part of that is our receiving corps; who's got the speed to get open vertically? 

But I guess I'm thinking they're going to need to take some shots... and at least once in a while convert.  

A really good defense may be even more enabling.  You don't need to score a lot of TD's, if the defense isn't going to allow many at all.  So you don't really need to convert on all of your shots; just a few successful shots, leading to just a few TD's, may be enough to win a lot of games if the defense can really hold the opposition. 

4 minutes ago, craig said:

I agree with the "take your shots" point.  Vikes had very little consistent offense going.  But they took some deep shots downfield, and converted on several, Diggs TD included.  Changed everything.  It was a "take your shot" throw to MVS that converted that led to the Packers one TD in Chicago.  That won us the game.  

Rodgers took a shot on first play yesterday, it worked, and that got everything happening.  (IMO that set up a lot of the other 1st-down runs that worked well; Vikes realized we might not run on EVERY first down...)  Rodgers took two shots later, one that Adams dropped and one that MVS dropped.  Had *either* of those been caught, it might not have been a one-possession game all 4th quarter.  

Our offense and passing game isn't good enough to just nickel-and-dime all the way downfield and get six first-downs en route TD.  We aren't going to score many TD's without big-plays; need some shots at big-plays, and need to catch some of them.  

Why am I not remembering the deep shot to Adams? I know he got interfered with in the 2nd quarter, but I don't remember one in the second half.

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A 2-Man route with max protect on 1st down. A clear out for a RB wheel route on 2nd down. And a drag route caught at the line of scrimmage on 3rd down.

If that's your definition of aggressive, I hate to see what you consider conservative.

I did read your entire post. You gave no down and distance sequence of values with which you would like to see shot plays called. 

So MLF was passively aggressive..............oh see what I did there. Just had too.

Not hard to see that MLF hasn't had the easiest time calling plays. Lets be thankful that Gute has put together 2 solid drafts and a great offseason to put the defense together to hold down the fort. MLF seems to be the right type of guy to get AR turned around and by all accounts is sincere enough to evaluate himself and playcalling and learn from his mistakes. It will take time. Most here were not thinking SB win until the first few drives yesterday and the board went nuts. Myself i was happy to see some good play but when it went sideways i was not surprised either. What i believe is that MLF believes in his defense now so he can hopefully continue to open things up here and there and build his offense. It will take some time and so will he. Lets be patient and look at the positives also. Outpost will prove it somewhere that we need a top 10 scoring defense to win a championship anyway lets hope we have that and can keep it together for a couple years.

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I mistakenly thought we were on the road.

I'm feeling a lot better about this game. 

Is it because he listed the broncos second? Because I did the same thing lol. I'm used to the home team always being listed second

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why am I not remembering the deep shot to Adams? I know he got interfered with in the 2nd quarter, but I don't remember one in the second half.

It was the deep crosser, probably a 30 yard game that he dropped. I mean Harrison Smith made an outstanding play but I'm sure Tae would say he has to hang on to that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PACKRULE said:

So MLF was passively aggressive..............oh see what I did there. Just had too.

Not hard to see that MLF hasn't had the easiest time calling plays. Lets be thankful that Gute has put together 2 solid drafts and a great offseason to put the defense together to hold down the fort. MLF seems to be the right type of guy to get AR turned around and by all accounts is sincere enough to evaluate himself and playcalling and learn from his mistakes. It will take time. Most here were not thinking SB win until the first few drives yesterday and the board went nuts. Myself i was happy to see some good play but when it went sideways i was not surprised either. What i believe is that MLF believes in his defense now so he can hopefully continue to open things up here and there and build his offense. It will take some time and so will he. Lets be patient and look at the positives also. Outpost will prove it somewhere that we need a top 10 scoring defense to win a championship anyway lets hope we have that and can keep it together for a couple years.

If MVS isn't a hit like some of you guys are talking about. I'm not sure 2018 is looking so hot. That's Alexander and a punter.

2019 is looking like it's a Safety and a Guard if I'm having to call this thing right now.

We did very very well in Free Agency this year. Had some serious cap space and went out and got three legit starters on defense, two of them at premiums. Jury's still out on Turner. 

I'm also not sure we're calling LaFleur a win today. This offense has been ugly.

The biggest win of the season so far has been Pettine. 

7 minutes ago, craig said:

There's a common point-of-view that Rodgers throws downfield too much, and is looking for big play.  But as Outpost noted, the average yards per pass and average yards per completion is small, not big.  Part of that is probably Aaron; he probably hasn't been accurate enough on deep throws.  And certainly part of that is our receiving corps; who's got the speed to get open vertically? 

But I guess I'm thinking they're going to need to take some shots... and at least once in a while convert.  

A really good defense may be even more enabling.  You don't need to score a lot of TD's, if the defense isn't going to allow many at all.  So you don't really need to convert on all of your shots; just a few successful shots, leading to just a few TD's, may be enough to win a lot of games if the defense can really hold the opposition. 

Yards per attempt is also a function of competing more passes.  A 5-8 yard completion to a RB is not a lot of yards, but it is better than a 0 yard incompletion/throw away.  

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It was the deep crosser, probably a 30 yard game that he dropped. I mean Harrison Smith made an outstanding play but I'm sure Tae would say he has to hang on to that.

It's not that I don't believe you, but I'm looking through this play by play and I'm not seeing a deep attempt to Adams in the second half?

Do you have a time stamp?

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If MVS isn't a hit like some of you guys are talking about. I'm not sure 2018 is looking so hot. That's Alexander and a punter.

2019 is looking like it's a Safety and a Guard if I'm having to call this thing right now.

We did very very well in Free Agency this year. Had some serious cap space and went out and got three legit starters on defense, two of them at premiums. Jury's still out on Turner. 

I'm also not sure we're calling LaFleur a win today. This offense has been ugly.

The biggest win of the season so far has been Pettine. 

Yeah tough to call MLF a win I agree but I am willing to be patient. There were some glimmers of old AR yesterday and how MLF handled his little pout on the sidelines is perfect he went right after him to communicate. If he can reach AR and turn him back from the dark side, that is the only win he needs that will change this offense in and of itself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's not that I don't believe you, but I'm looking through this play by play and I'm not seeing a deep attempt to Adams in the second half?

Could have been late 2nd Q. My *** was clenched the entire 2nd half so everything is a blur from when they scored 10 on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It was the one that Smith knocked out of his hands at the last second, looked like Adams had it. Left sideline from the offensive side. I want to say 4th QTR myself. It was a really good throw by AR may have been a tad late.