Packers & Vikings Postgame

Leader

Just now, hitnhope said:

I wouldn't call it a bad throw.   It just wasn't good enough.  It was a heck of a play by kendricks to break it up.   People forget that the other team gets paid as well.

6-12 inches from perfect 30 yards down field isn't a "bad" throw in my book.  I wish we had a LB who could have made that type play put in the same situation.

it was 6-12 inches from being completed, but 3-5 yards short of being an easy catch and a possible walk in TD.  If he lays it out there, Jones can continue running faster than Kendricks (who he's gaining on for 10 yards now) and accelarate into the secondary.  Instead rodgers underthrows it, but throws it catchable, and allows kendricks the opportunity to make a great play, which he does.

It's a "safe" throw since it gives Jones a chance and makes sure he doesn't overthrow it, but it's far from being perfect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

it was 6-12 inches from being completed, but 3-5 yards short of being an easy catch and a possible walk in TD.  If he lays it out there, Jones can continue running faster than Kendricks (who he's gaining on for 10 yards now) and accelarate into the secondary.  Instead rodgers underthrows it, but throws it catchable, and allows kendricks the opportunity to make a great play, which he does.

It's a "safe" throw since it gives Jones a chance and makes sure he doesn't overthrow it, but it's far from being perfect.

Rodgers himself brought it up in his presser saying he "missed one to Jonesy" (I can't remember if that's the actual quote but I like how it sounds).

Edited by Lodestar

Last week, MLF talked a lot about 3rd-and-long problem, and needing to get into more manageable 3rd-down situations. 

With the solid early-down running game yesterday, they did that very well.  But it was the short-yardage stuff that was really bad.  Seemed like they had a lot of 3rd-and-2 type plays, but as we well know, it's lots easier to get 5 yards on 1st-down when teams aren't sold out on run defense, than it is to get 2 yards in short yardage.  

Not sure what the solution is.  But I hope they find one.  

Just now, skibrett15 said:

If he throws that ball 5 yards further he gets killed for overthrowing the pass and killing the chance to make a play.

It wasn't Julio Jones running the route, it was Aaron Jones.   If you are confident Aaron Jones can lay out for the pass and make the play you have a much higher opinion of his receiving ability than I have witnessed to date.

Notice I didn't say it was a perfect throw.   With the pressure the QB is under expecting a "perfect" throw isn't realistic.      If it was as underthrown as you are saying, then why didn't Jones come back for the ball and draw a pass interference on the play?  

Sometimes a defensive player just makes a play. 

Just now, craig said:

Last week, MLF talked a lot about 3rd-and-long problem, and needing to get into more manageable 3rd-down situations. 

With the solid early-down running game yesterday, they did that very well.  But it was the short-yardage stuff that was really bad.  Seemed like they had a lot of 3rd-and-2 type plays, but as we well know, it's lots easier to get 5 yards on 1st-down when teams aren't sold out on run defense, than it is to get 2 yards in short yardage.  

Not sure what the solution is.  But I hope they find one.  

at least we know they will identify the problem and attempt to fix it in game. i cant say as much for the last coaching staff.

3 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Rodgers himself brought it up in his presser saying he "missed one to Jonesy" (I can't remember if that's the actual quote but I like how it sounds).

sure.  That's his standard.  @Outpost31 wants to hold him to normal QB standards and say he's not good.  Most qbs don't hit that throw either.

it's fine to hold him to a higher standard.  And Rodgers certainly holds himself to a very high one.  Doesn't mean that I view that play as a negative, nor should the team or anyone on here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hitnhope said:

If he throws that ball 5 yards further he gets killed for overthrowing the pass and killing the chance to make a play.

It wasn't Julio Jones running the route, it was Aaron Jones.   If you are confident Aaron Jones can lay out for the pass and make the play you have a much higher opinion of his receiving ability than I have witnessed to date.

Notice I didn't say it was a perfect throw.   With the pressure the QB is under expecting a "perfect" throw isn't realistic.      If it was as underthrown as you are saying, then why didn't Jones come back for the ball and draw a pass interference on the play?  

Sometimes a defensive player just makes a play. 

Jones has to slow down.  Significantly.  The throw allows kendricks to catch up.  Jones created separation, significant separation, and would continue to create separation if a better pass was thrown.  It would have looked like Kendricks had given up on the play if a better ball was thrown.  Instead, a mediocre/average pass was thrown and kendricks was permitted to come back into the picture.  Then Kendricks made a great great play.

If he throws it 5 yards further, he throws another 40 yard pass completion to Jones.  And possibly a 70 yard walk in TD (I can't see where Smith the safety is).

Just watch the play again, and you'll clearly see why this is far from a perfect pass, and why Rodgers thinks he missed this one.  As I noted above, the main reason is the significant pressure he is under which influences the throw.

The constant significant pressure is an issue.  OL needs to do better, and perhaps plan their blocking better.  Packers had 60% pressure on Cousins.  But he had a number of plays where he had space on all sides, there there was space to step up, and where nobody was squeezing him from the sides.  Couple of his deep balls he had great opportunity to step into them.  Rodgers didn't have very much pocket very often.  It seems like they back up so fast, Rodgers is encircled.  No space to roll out, no place to step up; too often needing to back-foot it to get it out.  Hopefull it will be easier against Von Miller and those guys!  :)

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

anyone want to watch Jimmy Graham block everson griffen 1 on 1?  Guess how that ended?  Oh wait, it ended fine with a 21 yard completion to Adams.

3RD & 5 AT MIN 40(06:13)
(6:13) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass deep left to D.Adams pushed ob at MIN 19 for 21 yards (J.Kearse).

Graham thought he had Jones help on the outside on the sack he gave up. Those two miscommunicated on that. It wasn't Graham just bring scrub-tastic as a blocker.

38 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I found 2 plays you could maybe grade rodgers as a minus yesterday.  He played great or good the rest of the game.  Sacks included, throwaways included.  Nobody was open, or even remotely open.  SOme of these didn't even have checkdown options they were 2 man routes max protect and he was under pressure.  Some were busted screen passes.

1) Rodgers doesn't check it down to williams after there is initial pressure.  This isn't "hot" since it's just a 4 man rush.  Is a discretionary checkdown, not one he has to make based on presnap read or anything fancy.  Bakh gets WHOOPED on the inside move, forces rodgers off the spot and into joseph.  this is 2nd and 20.  He is trying to make a play, not get to 3rd and 14. 

2ND & 20 AT GB 12(11:23)
(11:23) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers sacked at GB 4 for -8 yards (L.Joseph).

2)Deep comeback throw to MVS is a bit high.  This is a really big throw, which has to be over joseph who is pushing linsley back into his face.  Pass is completed, but defender carries MVS out of bounds, which is really an exceptional play under the circumstances by the defense.

1ST & 10 AT GB 20(05:10)
(5:10) A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep right to M.Valdes-Scantling (T.Waynes).

There was A LOT of presnap stuff I think you have to take issue with. 

The draws on 2nd and 1 are also frustrating. You need big plans to score. 2nd and short is the big play opportunity down. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There was A LOT of presnap stuff I think you have to take issue with. 

The draws on 2nd and 1 are also frustrating. You need big plans to score. 2nd and short is the big play opportunity down. 

I love the idea of taking shots on 2nd and short, but when you are struggling in short distance 3rd/4th downs and getting 1st downs all together, the main focus has to be to get the chains moved any way possible. Unfortunately that's where we were at in the 2nd half yesterday.